Anthony Pettis did two amazing things that we tend to forget about

Danis_champ

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
We know the famous Showtime kick but he..

KOed Stephen ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson (only time WB has ever been KO'd in MMA)

and

Submitted Charles ‘Do Bronx’ Oliveira

it's quite sad to watch this guy now fight for the PFL and lose against nobodies but that's life.

People forget how damn good this guy was once upon a time.

He was a legitimate champion who had some impressive wins and did some awesome shit in there.

Somewhere along the line though, his body let him down and he stopped caring unfortunately. Crazy how hard hes fallen

Last edited:
I woke up my newborn baby screaming when he hit the showtime kick on Bendo, my (then gf) came running to the living room freaking out and I was aghast just pointing at the TV standing inches from it. It was truly a sight to behold and a Plymouth Rock moment for the evolution of MMA!

bKTzuT.gif

I was a hater of his at first while he was "Shelftime" Pettis, but he grew on me over the years. In hindsight, he was an impressive combination of athleticism, talent, and being tough/gritty AF. The Showtime kick, beating both Bendo and Giblert in title fights, and the many highlight KOs and SUBs against guys like Wonderboy and Oliveira make him an all-time LW GOAT.

I hope he has a good life after fighting when he does hang up the gloves for good.

Subbed Olives, Bendo, and Giblert.

Has a lot of other subs on other great ground fighters as well.

His rise in WEC was something to witness.

Something about that bomb RDA landed, Pettis never recovered that fight and just pain took a beating.

Wonderboy KO was a glimpse into what the guy can do but that particular shot he landed, was unorthodox as fuck and he bounced off the cage to cover insane distance to catch WB. He couldnt get through that distance all night but that one move, BAM.

godda love how any clip of the showtime kick cuts off right away what happens next... which is bendo getting a single cuz this was more of a sent off balance thing rather than a knock down from damage cause it was a slappy foot kick that did no damage

most overrated highlight reel clip of all time

Last edited:
He was great but RDA destroyed his career. Once people found out you could bully him against the cage and grind him down, he was done.
No, Clay Guida beat him early in Pettis' UFC career. That was his only loss in 10 WEC/UFC fights. But Clay showed you could either LnP Pettis (if you could avoid his subs) and Eddie Alvarez/RDA showed you could hold him against the cage. Pettis also had an early SD loss to Bart Palaszweski, but I never saw that fight--not sure if Bart used wrestling or wall-n-stall. Despite that, Pettis had quite a few moments of brilliance in his career, and he could potentially KO or submit almost anyone in the right situation.

Sadly, his style doesn't age well, especially in the lighter weight classes. Karate-based striking and quick submission grappling aren't effective once once you lose your speed/reflex edge. The fighters who age best are usually guys with good wrestling/TDD, strong KO power and iron chins (Hendo, Yoel, Chandler to some extent, etc.).

Since he climbed to the top and became the champ. defended few times and then lost it to RDS he was never the same again and imo he just lost the motivation or he couldn't motivate himself anymore as he use to.. He ran into 3-fights losing streak which was a rare thing for him as he was elite. I think by 2017 he was out of his prime and way way past his prime. The Showtime we knew and his great days were behind us at that point

godda love how any clip of the showtime kick cuts off right away what happens next... which is bendo getting a single cuz this was more of a sent off balance thing rather than a knock down from damage cause the kick did no damage

most overrated highlight reel clip of all time
Don’t post a stupid comment (shitcakes edition) (impossible)
<{Joewithit}><Deported1>

I ran into Pettis right before the RDA fight, dude was a fucking tool and I immediately bet the house on RDA even as a huge Pettis fan, but man he was a force in his prime lol

No, Clay Guida beat him early in Pettis' UFC career. That was his only loss in 10 WEC/UFC fights. But Clay showed you could either LnP Pettis (if you could avoid his subs) and Eddie Alvarez/RDA showed you could hold him against the cage. Pettis also had an early SD loss to Bart Palaszweski, but I never saw that fight--not sure if Bart used wrestling or wall-n-stall. Despite that, Pettis had quite a few moments of brilliance in his career, and he could potentially KO or submit almost anyone in the right situation.

Sadly, his style doesn't age well, especially in the lighter weight classes. Karate-based striking and quick submission grappling aren't effective once once you lose your speed/reflex edge. The fighters who age best are usually guys with good wrestling/TDD, strong KO power and iron chins (Hendo, Yoel, Chandler to some extent, etc.).

Bingo!
He was one of the last fighters to win and defend on pure martial technique.
It's a shame that he didn't spend more time in the wrestling room. He could've been the LW GOAT.

Since he climbed to the top and became the champ. defended few times and then lost it to RDS he was never the same again and imo he just lost the motivation or he couldn't motivate himself anymore as he use to.. He ran into 3-fights losing streak which was a rare thing for him as he was elite. I think by 2017 he was out of his prime and way way past his prime. The Showtime we knew and his great days were behind us at that point

He won on technique, timing, and speed.
Once the latter went, he was done (+/-)

Back