Law Another W for Meritocracy: California bans Legacy Admissions in all colleges and universities

i don’t see what business the government has telling private colleges who to admit, much less if it doesn’t involve some constitutionally protected category.

south-park-its-gone.gif

Well done mods, seriously, a dogshit account truth be told.

This might be the least worst post they ever made, though, just the first I noticed they were banned.

I'm too lazy to dig into the numbers, but the article doesn't give any hard numbers on quality of candidates vis-a-vis legacy vs non legacy. And while I can see that more so with lower tier schools, the article focuses on examples of higher tier institutions. In that case I can see a correlation/causation of legacies having the slight edge since we know graduates of Stanford are more likier to have the means of producing kids with the means to get in.

Also, while not legacies, kids of alum from other top tier schools make up a large part of the candidate applications, so they are likely to still get into a highly ranked school even if they lost out on a choice to a legacy.

I'd say just cut public funding of private institutions (aside from that earmarked for practical science and medical research). It's cheaper than this massive exercise (although I doubt california is going to audit this very hard) but at least you pull the public away financially.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bat123
Back