Another School Inquiry

wahrenjie

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been searching threads for an answer to my question but have had no luck. I live in Western Nassau County Long Island. I'm looking for an MMA gym. I'd really like to find a place that has a straight beginner's MMA program as opposed to specializing in Muay Thai or BJJ. I'd even be willing to train in Brooklyn, Queens or Manhattan if there is a gym that Specializes in pure MMA. Thanks in advance. Oh yeah I'd be willing to go up to $200 a month for tuition. I'm not looking to compete, it's really just for my love of the sport and my line of work that I'm looking to train. And I'm old and fat.:redface:

Oh,and don't worry about being out of shape. Most of us started out in terrible shape; some of us even old. Just train and have a good time. Good luck!

Thanks Johnkreese, I appreciate the reply. I've been researching and that was one of the places I came across. I'm really hoping to get first or even second-hand accounts of the training in some of these gyms though. Thanks again.

If I was looking for a legit fight gym and lived in the area, it'd be Ray Longo for sure.

You can probably find somene who trains there in the standup forum. If not, let us know how it goes.

Yeah, I'm sure if you join there you wont be out of shape for much longer!!!

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Budokan Martial Arts. Valley Stream. That's where I train. We are a Renzo Gracie Affiliate.

Long Island Mixed Martial Arts Nassau County Self Defense Valley Stream Karate Lynbrook MMA Classes

We don't specialize in pure MMA (I don't know many places in the area that do), although we have bjj and muay thai programs, as well as judo and other arts. Price won't be a problem for you. Very friendly atmosphere. Small school with extremely highly qualified instruction, and plenty of individual attention.

For the record, why are you strictly interested in training MMA as opposed to any of the base disciplines? I mean it's not like you have a background in something and are looking to compete in MMA, which is basically the purpose of taking pure MMA classes.

But please, feel free to PM me with any questions.

Budokan Martial Arts. Valley Stream. That's where I train. We are a Renzo Gracie Affiliate.

Long Island Mixed Martial Arts Nassau County Self Defense Valley Stream Karate Lynbrook MMA Classes

We don't specialize in pure MMA (I don't know many places in the area that do), although we have bjj and muay thai programs, as well as judo and other arts. Price won't be a problem for you. Very friendly atmosphere. Small school with extremely highly qualified instruction, and plenty of individual attention.

For the record, why are you strictly interested in training MMA as opposed to any of the base disciplines? I mean it's not like you have a background in something and are looking to compete in MMA, which is basically the purpose of taking pure MMA classes.
But please, feel free to PM me with any questions.
Thanks for the reply. I trained for years in a "traditional" martial art and I'm looking for something more free. And I like jits, but I only want to train it with no gi, and I'd like to train with a coach that can expound on how to work all the disciplines in together as opposed to taking them separately and figuring it out myself, hence my preference for a gym that focuses on freestyle fighting. I hope this made since. I find it difficult to explain my preference to people. I will definately check out your school. I live in VS and have passed this place a few times. Thanks again.

Okay cool so you know where it is, right on Rockaway Ave.

Our instructor is/was a pro MMA fighter and the first Ring of Combat LW champ (he's semi-retired now, focusing on running the school and training others, but still trains regularly). So you will definitely have someone who can teach you about blending it all together, in addition to another one of our instructors who as trained MMA fighters such as Dave Branch and Phillipe Nover, and teaches a mixed-styles class (largely based on Muay Thai and JKD concepts, also working in street grappling).

So there is definite MMA experience in the gym, just not a dedicated class for it. I think what you'll find in general is that MMA classes are really geared for those who plan on competing in MMA. Also a lot of places require you to have a base discipline (bjj, muay thai, wrestling, etc) before entering an MMA class, because they believe you need a foundation before you blend things together. But that's just my view on things.

One last thing, our head instructor is training in Japan for the next 2 weeks, so he won't be around. All classes that you see on the website will still be running (except for Sundays we'll be closed), but all the classes will be taught by the senior students. I'll be teaching Tuesday and Thursday bjj and no gi. So if you come in, don't be turned off if you see a purple belt teaching the bjj class. Our head instructor is a black belt under Renzo (just received a degree on it Friday). But definitely come down and check it out. My name is Kyle, in case I see you there.

Does anyone have any experience with American Top Team Franklin Square?

Does anyone have any experience with American Top Team Franklin Square?

I know they used to be Miletich Franklin Square. That place seems to change affiliations by the week. It's definitely MMA, that's for sure. As far as how closely they are affiliated with ATT...most likely the head instructor has taken the trip down to Coconut Creek on a few occasions and trained there to get his certification to run an affiliate school. ATT has a lot of them nationwide.

Can't speak from experience though, I don't know of anyone who has trained there.

One more school, Anyone have experience with alpha omega mma @ dolphin fitness in Rockville Center?

Okay cool so you know where it is, right on Rockaway Ave.

Our instructor is/was a pro MMA fighter and the first Ring of Combat LW champ (he's semi-retired now, focusing on running the school and training others, but still trains regularly). So you will definitely have someone who can teach you about blending it all together, in addition to another one of our instructors who as trained MMA fighters such as Dave Branch and Phillipe Nover, and teaches a mixed-styles class (largely based on Muay Thai and JKD concepts, also working in street grappling).

So there is definite MMA experience in the gym, just not a dedicated class for it. I think what you'll find in general is that MMA classes are really geared for those who plan on competing in MMA. Also a lot of places require you to have a base discipline (bjj, muay thai, wrestling, etc) before entering an MMA class, because they believe you need a foundation before you blend things together. But that's just my view on things.

One last thing, our head instructor is training in Japan for the next 2 weeks, so he won't be around. All classes that you see on the website will still be running (except for Sundays we'll be closed), but all the classes will be taught by the senior students. I'll be teaching Tuesday and Thursday bjj and no gi. So if you come in, don't be turned off if you see a purple belt teaching the bjj class. Our head instructor is a black belt under Renzo (just received a degree on it Friday). But definitely come down and check it out. My name is Kyle, in case I see you there.

Definitely coming by your school. Stopped by there yesterday, but there was a childrens class in session. Have to go by in the late evening.

One more school, Anyone have experience with alpha omega mma @ dolphin fitness in Rockville Center?

Check your PM's.

Definitely stop by if you get a chance. Today you'll see either bjj or muay thai depending on when you come, same with tomorrow but the times are reversed, and there will be a no gi class tomorrow night as well. Our instructor is training in Japan, so I'll be covering the bjj for tomorrow and another student will be teaching today, but our regular instructor is a black belt who teaches all the bjj classes. Our regular muay thai coach (Kevin) should be there, and he's an active fighter.

Last edited:
I just found out I may be switching over to evenings at my job. Now I need to find a gym that has morning classes. None of the local places I've researched have morning classes for both muay thai and bjj. Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back