• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Another Reason to Hate Millennials - Rated Worst Tippers

No. While I agree and would do the same and not go back to a crap restaurant, over a life time you may visit many crap restaurants or servers.

The ONLY real way (short of complaining to management) to let a server know they did a poor job is by tipping less. Rarely would I suggest zero as they will just assume you are a no tipping asshole and it was not them. But if you give them 10% or 5% that is a statement. I would even say something as I was paying the bill that I was not that happy with my visit or the service this time.

If everyone gets tipped regardless then even the bad servers think they are doing good and are less likely to work on skills to improve the experience.
I disagree. Plenty of servers will just think you are a cheap ass. They will think they gave good service and call you an asshole.
Most of these guys are not going to do any sort of self reflection

I don't understand why the servers and restaurant are treated as separate entities. I dont think of them as that way. If a restaurant isn't doing good business then a good manager is going to be watching to try and see why.
I don't care about changing the server's mind, that isn't my job. It's the mangers.

I disagree. Plenty of servers will just think you are a cheap ass. They will think they gave good service and call you an asshole.
Most of these guys are not going to do any sort of self reflection

I don't understand why the servers and restaurant are treated as separate entities. I dont think of them as that way. If a restaurant isn't doing good business then a good manager is going to be watching to try and see why.
I don't care about changing the server's mind, that isn't my job. It's the mangers.
If you are the only one ya. But if they give consistent bad service over time and get lots of smaller tips and they see their peers getting full tips (these guys do compare) the excuse of 'oh man you get all all the good tables' goes away.

This is something that doesn't exist in my country, so I have some questions about it.

In case that I travel where it's custom.

1: is it expected that I tip?
2: do I have to do the math myself?
3: how is it percieved if I forget to tip, since I'm not used to it.

i agree there will be some case by case managing but see my post 276 above with the quotes of the hundreds of restaurants who have tried and how mostly they just build the cost of tipping into the price.

if all do it and just add 15% across the board to eliminating tipping then there really is no elasticity issue.

Like I said, the customer will take on most of it. But keep in mind, there may not have been enough restaurants doing it for the industry to reach equilibrium price. I’m sure many people saw the higher prices and reacted by going to a different restaurant where they paid the same price with the tip anyway. That has the potential to drive prices down in the long run, making the owner eat more of that wage increase.

When every server in the US is getting $15+ an hour none of this will matter anymore. We'll be just like the rest of the world at that point.

Not true, servers here in Ontario get 14 an hr and still expect 20-30% gratuity.

Then why do you think waiters should be making so much money?

You do know it requieres very little skill. So why should they get paid so much ?
I have waited tables. It requires more skill than you think

they cant accumulate when they are spending more than they earn. silly that they complain about being broke, yet are the first ones to get the newest iphones, get ink and faking it to make it on FB/IG. they could be using that money to acquire skills..... but they feel they dont need to since they got 60k in student loans for a useless degree and deserve more

I think it’s an exaggeration to lump all Millenials into a negative stereotype. It was applied to Generation X. Having that said, there’s some truth to the negative stereotype. It’s interesting they attack their parents for all the ills they have inherited. I wonder what would happen to them if they were sent to the Great Depression era. Don’t believe that generation would have seen the economic collapse coming, well, some would say there were ones who knew.

Like I had posted prior, the boomers had the US Civil Rights movement,

I have waited tables. It requires more skill than you think

My man I've worked tables as well. I have moved on from that, though. I don't see why waiters should be making more than 20 dollars per hour in a state like Texas. Leave those unskilled jobs to high schoolers and people in college.

This is something that doesn't exist in my country, so I have some questions about it.

In case that I travel where it's custom.

1: is it expected that I tip?
2: do I have to do the math myself?
3: how is it percieved if I forget to tip, since I'm not used to it.

1-most any restaurant where you are served, yes

2-50/50 many places include on receipt what various tip amounts should be. But typically a tip of 15-20% of bill is normal and if you cant look at a # and figure out roughly what 15-20% equals, you're an idiot

3-you'll be perceived as a piece of shit

When is the cut off?

Im catagorized one i think. None of my friends tip shitty.. If i hang around someone who does it makes me like them less. Girls can get away with it, if your a dude that doesnt tip you deserve a cock in the ass. You are a little bitch at that point

Hmn you and your friends might be born before 1986 - 1988 most of what people describe as millennial today comes from that age group.

Although people born from 1982 to 1992 are considered Millennials

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/millennials-worst-tippers-survey-says-120422248.html

This is so great. It completely explains why there are so many "Tipping" threads on this site... with people trying to justify their cheapness and attempting to rally more posters to their side to help ease their self loathing, which is already soul crushing. Even better is the significant percentage of millennials who don't tip at all.

I love the rational.

For the most part, they're broke. Cool Story Bro, way to pass on your misery to the Server you just fucked, who's probably also a millennial.

You know what I didn't do when I was a struggling 20 something, trying to work through college and get my career started.

Eat out on a regular basis.

BUT, what kills me even more is that later in the article, millennials say would prefer to "Pay More" for their food or services instead of tip. I've heard this bounced around before and it makes no fucking sense. The Tip is the reward/motivation for someone to provide good service. Whether it's a shoe shine, serving food or giving a ride. If the tip is already included, when the service is shitty, you still have to still pay the same amount...

Is it just sheer laziness on their part that they don't want to tip separately? Is math that hard? Seriously, help me understand this.
15% is what the average Millennial supposedly tips compared to 18% for the general population. Assuming that is actually the case, that seems perfectly reasonable to me. 15% is acceptable, 20% is ideal, and anything above that is a rare bonus. 15% from an average Millennial is also proportionally larger than what a Baby Boomer might give.

FWIW, I'm an older Millennial (you know, the generation that the term was originally invented for because we graduated high school around the time of the Millennium), and I usually tip closer to 20%. Millennials are bearing the brunt of neoliberal policies which their parents or grandparents didn't have to deal with. Baby Boomers had reasonable college tuition that most of their parents paid for in full and they weren't saddled with debt right out of the starting gate. They paid reasonable rents and then reasonable prices for their first homes. Income relative to inflation was incredibly favorable for them compared to Millennials.

So when you factor in all that, plus the fact that they tip reasonable rates anyway despite their relative poverty, and the fact that most countries don't even have a tipping culture and we very well shouldn't have one either, your visceral rage about this crap is laughable.

As someone that grew up abroad, and has been living abroad for about 10 years now, I just cannot understand Americans and this tipping culture.
Why is this only a problem in America? People are saying that restaurants would fail if they had to pay their workers full wages.....then how is THE REST OF THE WORLD able to operate restaurants?
This tipping nonsense just sounds like bullshit from cheap ass owners.
I would most definitely prefer to have the price upfront from the start. You cannot believe me all you want, but i don't like the ambiguousness when dealing with money. Just give me the numbers.

Lol I am just baffled by the idea that i should be expected to pay for the worker of the restaurant to smile and give me my food promptly. Im really supposed to pay someone to NOT spit in my food?

You know what i do when a restaurant here gives me shit service ? I never go back! It's not "low/no tip", it's ZERO money. It's absurd for the customer to have to think of the restaurant and the server as almost separate parties. If a server is shit to me then that restaurant won't get any more money outta me

Lol and fuck off with the "you're too poor/cheap" argument. It's a bullshit argument. A person not wanting to give money away to a cause or service they don't believe in doesn't make them cheap or poor. Just because i don't give a homeless guy a dollar doesn't mean i couldn't afford to.
Well strange king. There are these things called cultures. The culture in America when you go to eat at a nice restaurant, is to tip. It’s a way of telling the server they did a good job. Would you rather the price of your meal to go up if you have shitty service? Or would you rather, pay a decent price and depending on the service, give that waiter/waitress a couple extra bucks for making sure you’re satisfied? Either way you’re going to pay the same, barring that you’re not a tight ass. I don’t get how people don’t want to reward good service. I would rather the individual to get the extra money other than some big corporation. Maybe that’s just me but I feel good rewarding people.

Back