• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rewatch Another older fight that you guys should know about - Carlos Newton vs Jose "Pele" Landi Jons at Pride 19

In continuation of rewatching my old Pride DVD's this was another good fight I thought you guys would enjoy.

Check it out :

Newton was great, it was a travesty that he lost against Matt Hughes.

I'm really enjoying these views, by the way. Keep posting!

I guess this is the place to bitch as any but Carlos Newton won that fucking fight against Matt Hughes. He had him in a triangle choke standing and Matt falls to the mat unconscious briefly but somehow knocked Carlos out?

One of the best days of my young life , Carlos armbar Pele & Canada won a gold medal in Olympic hockey , man was I wasted :p
I still can’t believe Carlos shook off that knee , sounded like it could had killed somebody

Carlos Newton…

Proving that Canadians could fight, even before Georges St. Pierre.
And proving that Canadians were more intelligent since Carlos was doing that whole Neurosurgeon thing...

Meanwhile during that time, America had Tito Oritz. In comparison.......yeah

In continuation of rewatching my old Pride DVD's this was another good fight I thought you guys would enjoy.

Check it out :

Absolute classic...and Carlos Friggin Newton man.. Canada's true MMA pionneer .. he had such an interesting career and life...his gym is like an hour from me...i might go there one day ! ..

Newton's best win in his career in my opinion. He took a knee full on his cheek that didnt even stun the "ronin". Then to take Landis down and submit him. Landis was truly a very dangerous striker who was considered the best striker at Chute Box at the time.

Always loved Pele and hate that he peeked prior to mma going mainstream. That additionally to him struggling to adapt to non-vale tudo rules was unfortunate however his IVC run along with his wins over Hughes and Militech (who he destroyed), speaks for itself.

Have you missed the constant threads about top fighter in other orgs who would be top 5 in the UFC?
So you haven't really got an answer.

Pele using some seriously dirty tactics in the Matsui fight,trying to paralyze the guy.

Fuck Pele for that shit. Trying to paralyze a jobber and still loses lmao. I rooted against him every time after that.

Yayy Carlos. The guy ate that Knee like a G.
Because ramming into corner of the ring as an attempt to throw the guy at your back is fine fight?

Anyway... I dont think those elbows were right either... But i think that was more like lack of knowledge of the rules rather than a dirty move.

You need to remember that in PRIDE, every yellow card youd get would result in a reduction of your fight purse

So you haven't really got an answer.

lol no, I'm not going to explain the layout of modern MMA to you on a discussion board where it's talked about frequently and you'd have to be playing dumb not to know about these discussions.

And now I feel bad because I called you dumb and you're one of my fave posters here, but, no, this is a topic that's talked about frequently and I can't see you in good faith not knowing about the top fighters that aren't in the UFC or the discussions that happen around them.

great fight. no idea how carlos survived those two knees. the second one that hurt him should have put him to sleep and it didn’t even drop him. insane chin. underrated fight here that i don’t think i had even seen before. thanks OP

lol no, I'm not going to explain the layout of modern MMA to you on a discussion board where it's talked about frequently and you'd have to be playing dumb not to know about these discussions.

And now I feel bad because I called you dumb and you're one of my fave posters here, but, no, this is a topic that's talked about frequently and I can't see you in good faith not knowing about the top fighters that aren't in the UFC or the discussions that happen around them.
They have good fighters outside the ufc. Making a blanket statement that the ufc doesn't have the best fighters just doesn't work,and doesn't begin to cover the reality of the situation. Could they go in and be top 5 or a champ? Maybe but they have to prove it to be true.

Because ramming into corner of the ring as an attempt to throw the guy at your back is fine fight?

Anyway... I dont think those elbows were right either... But i think that was more like lack of knowledge of the rules rather than a dirty move.

You need to remember that in PRIDE, every yellow card youd get would result in a reduction of your fight purse
There is nothing wrong w anything Matsui did.

Elbows to the spine are illegal for a reason. I think I saw that in DUH magazine.

They have good fighters outside the ufc. Making a blanket statement that the ufc doesn't have the best fighters just doesn't work,and doesn't begin to cover the reality of the situation. Could they go in and be top 5 or a champ? Maybe but they have to prove it to be true.

It works perfectly fine given how shitty certain divisions in the UFC are doing, how skilled top fighters in other orgs are and how unattractive the UFC is to a great number of fighters. Refusing to acknowledge that fighters are top fighters because they're not in the UFC is a terrible and erroneous way to evaluate reality.

Back