Another FitDay.com diet breakdown, by Scott Kustes

How closely do you monitor your saturated vs. poly/mono? I think I need to tweak mine a bit. Probably getting too much saturated.

Are both those links meant to point to the same page, Mike? Thanks for the info, I'm going to read through it tomorrow.

That's an interesting find Mike.

I'm sure most people consume that much mono and poly is they ate avocados, eggs, and olive oil most of the time.

Are both those links meant to point to the same page, Mike? Thanks for the info, I'm going to read through it tomorrow.

No, the second link was supposed to be to Scott's page. Linked fixed.

I wonder how much of his results have to do with his long athletic history. I mean, you could say, wow, that guy is in great shape and this diet must have given him that body, but you also have to remember he is under 175 pounds, and was an olympic level athlete who has stayed extremely active over the last 40+ years.

Not discrediting his system at all, I just wonder because he said looking back that he did things the wrong way and was at an Olympic level.

I've always wondered the same thing about Randy Couture. He now follows an Alkaline diet and avoids protein, and he's hyooge, but he got hyooge almost 20 years ago when I bet he was eating a lot of everything. I wonder if he would look the same today if he had followed the same diet he does now since he was a teen.

I wonder how much of his results have to do with his long athletic history. I mean, you could say, wow, that guy is in great shape and this diet must have given him that body, but you also have to remember he is under 175 pounds, and was an olympic level athlete who has stayed extremely active over the last 40+ years.

Not discrediting his system at all, I just wonder because he said looking back that he did things the wrong way and was at an Olympic level.

I've always wondered the same thing about Randy Couture. He now follows an Alkaline diet and avoids protein, and he's hyooge, but he got hyooge almost 20 years ago when I bet he was eating a lot of everything. I wonder if he would look the same today if he had followed the same diet he does now since he was a teen.

Completely valid comments, and how active and what a person ate as a developing child and teen has as much to do with it as familial genetics; I'm fortunate enough to have a track athlete and former CFL athlete as parents, and was always active as a kid---in that regard, my diet could be total shit, and I probably would still be "ok", but perhaps not long term.

My wife, on the other hand, didn't start athletics until her late 20's, had sedentary parents with iffy genetics. She has to work 10 times as hard as the next person to make gains, be it in performance or aesthetics. BUT she has seen some great gains since starting to follow a Paleo diet, and just had her yearly physical and blew her doctor away with her HDL score.

Completely valid comments, and how active and what a person ate as a developing child and teen has as much to do with it as familial genetics; I'm fortunate enough to have a track athlete and former CFL athlete as parents, and was always active as a kid---in that regard, my diet could be total shit, and I probably would still be "ok", but perhaps not long term.

My wife, on the other hand, didn't start athletics until her late 20's, had sedentary parents with iffy genetics. She has to work 10 tens as hard as the next person to make gains, be it in performance or aesthetics. BUT she has seen some great gains since starting to follow a Paleo diet, and just had her yearly physical and blew her doctor away with her HDL score.

More good points. I think the genetics card gets played a little much based on my personal experiences. I have a little brother who is 15 months younger than I am and we have the same parents. Growing up we were complete opposites, he was fast, athletic, skinny as hell, while I was slow, fat, and didn't even want to try any sports. The only excercising I always did was pushups and I ate a lot of shit...A LOT. By high school my little brother had started lifting weights and started eating Whataburger everyday while I starved myself and did no excercise.

We used to never hear that we looked anything alike, then I lost weight and I heard it every once in a while, but now I am 6' 210 lbs., and he is 5'11' 205lbs. and everyone says we look identical. If people looked at us now they would say genetics made us look the same, and to a large degree they did, but up until a few years ago no one would have thought we were brothers because we ate and excercised completely different.

Back