Another First Gi Thread

tonyNGUYEN

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Sorry, I know there's alot of topics like this but I couldn't find any topics with people around my height and weight. I weigh 135 pounds and am 5'8" tall. According to most sizing charts my weight says I should be an A1 but my height says I should be an A2. Anybody know the recommended size I should purchase?

I'm leaning towards A1 because from what I've seen on this forums the guys who have A2 gi are larger than me.

Also right now I'm debating between Fuji Single Weave ($96 CAD) and Apeman Gold Weave ($83 CAD).

Budovideos.com - Fuji BJJ White Single Weave Gi

White Apeman Gold Weave BJJ Gi - 2009 Lightweight BJJ GI

The Apeman seems tempting because it's a gold weave, cheaper, and it includes a white belt (not sure if the fuji does, haha). But, Fuji seems really recommended as a first Gi and don't really hear much about Apeman Gi.

Sorry, I know there's alot of topics like this but I couldn't find any topics with people around my height and weight. I weigh 135 pounds and am 5'8" tall. According to most sizing charts my weight says I should be an A1 but my height says I should be an A2. Anybody know the recommended size I should purchase?

I'm leaning towards A1 because from what I've seen on this forums the guys who have A2 gi are larger than me.

Also right now I'm debating between Fuji Single Weave ($96 CAD) and Apeman Gold Weave ($83 CAD).

The Apeman seems tempting because it's a gold weave, cheaper, and it includes a white belt (not sure if the fuji does, haha). But, Fuji seems really recommended as a first Gi and don't really hear much about Apeman Gi.

i'm 5'8" and 150-155 lbs and wear an A2 in that Fuji Single weave. i have 2 pair actually, one blue and one white and for the money they are really great. honestly being the same height i would say that the A2 in the Fuji would fit you just fine. the cut of the Fuji is pretty slim so i really don't think that it would be too baggy on you at all. this is especially true because the Fuji will shrink some the first time you wash it and dry it with some heat so if you get the A1 i'm pretty sure it would be too short on you.

i got mine from mmawarehouse, they have the fuji belts too for 10 bucks. they ship to canada as well.

Fuji Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Single Weave White Gi - MMAWarehouse.com

i never seen a fuji but i did see a reevo guard and it was a just bigger judo cut gi not a slimer bjj cut gi as i expected it to be. i'd find out if the reevo guard is cut the same as the fuji as i'm under the impression hatishita makes both gis but i could be wrong

i just double check the website they do advertise the fuji as a true bjj cut but then i looked at the site selling the reevo and they also state the same "This is a performance gi with a lean BJJ cut" so i give up trying to figure this out

mike @ Gorilla Fight Gear

Last edited:
Fuji gis will shrink a considerable amount. I would say at 5'8 you should go with an A2. The A1 jacket will shrink way to small for you. Fuji gis are not preshrunk so they generally shrink enough for about half a size.

We're pretty much the same size, get a breakpoint gi, A1. You won't regret it. Comes with 2 pants, with one really indestructable training pants.

I would suggest Fushida, Redstar and Gorilla Fight Gear because they are in Canada.

I am 5'8 130lbs. Fushida komodo A1X fits me very well. However, I hear Redstar does custom sizing (not sure) and Gorilla Fight Gear is releasing its slim fit gi soon (not sure). Best bet is to email them all and go with the guy that you are most comfortable with.

Anybody have experience with Apeman Gi (Gorilla Fight Gear), only could find one review on here and it wasn't too specifiic.

i would take the Fuji over the apeman, the fuji is lighter and a slimmer cut. you picked a great gi for the price and quality. the apeman is a quality gi, but its cut wider in the shoulders. i own an a2 white fuji that i shrunk in the dryer im 5'8 145 it fits great, its tight in the armpits, its very easy to move around, and the collar is pretty thick. the A1 will shrink and wont fit after 3-4 months.

also, you can get the white fuji a2 from hatashitasports.com for $65.

Back