Another Edgar/Penn thread

skysolo

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Why is Edgar waiting 7 months to fight Penn? Is he injured or something? He could have at least 2 fights in that time but he is waiting 7 months to fight someone he beat twice and has never fought at 145.

I wanted Edgar/Mendes and winner is either 145 Champ if Aldo moves up or the number 1 contender. It makes sense for Penn. It gives him to get to that weight and test it out and the show puts his name back out there.

But what does it do for Edgar?

edgar i guess is marketing big fights..even though this really isnt a big fight anymore and does nothing for him

He thinks title shots are given to the more popular challenger. He thinks TUF will help him with that.

"You know what it is, it's the show," he acknowledges. "That's first and foremost. Coaching the show is definitely something that's going to help my career. Look at some the past coaches. They're some of the most popular guys in the UFC. I felt it was going to happen sooner or later and this is how it had to happen.

"My aspirations are always going to be towards the belt," Edgar admitted. "This may be a little sidetracked because I'm going to be out of competition for a while. I'm fighting BJ, who hasn't fought at 45."

"It's not always about who is most deserving," the former champion concedes. "It's about who is the most popular and can sell the most pay-per-views. This show can only help that."

source: http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/9/1...-wants-to-give-b-j-penn-reason-to-end-rivalry

He thinks title shots are given to the more popular challenger. He thinks TUF will help him with that.

"You know what it is, it's the show," he acknowledges. "That's first and foremost. Coaching the show is definitely something that's going to help my career. Look at some the past coaches. They're some of the most popular guys in the UFC. I felt it was going to happen sooner or later and this is how it had to happen.

"My aspirations are always going to be towards the belt," Edgar admitted. "This may be a little sidetracked because I'm going to be out of competition for a while. I'm fighting BJ, who hasn't fought at 45."

"It's not always about who is most deserving," the former champion concedes. "It's about who is the most popular and can sell the most pay-per-views. This show can only help that."

source: http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/9/1...-wants-to-give-b-j-penn-reason-to-end-rivalry

Thanks.

I dont think much will help Edgar sell fights. He's boring as shit, and I appreciate GSP fighting, most of the time.

edit: I'm also tired of BJ's comebacks. He got it right by training with the Marinovich(sp) bros, but couldn't witstand the pain. I'm done cheering for Penn. well, I will in this fight, 'cause edgar is a point striker and it pisses me off, but the BJ disappointment is to high.

Why is Edgar waiting 7 months to fight Penn? Is he injured or something? He could have at least 2 fights in that time but he is waiting 7 months to fight someone he beat twice and has never fought at 145.

I wanted Edgar/Mendes and winner is either 145 Champ if Aldo moves up or the number 1 contender. It makes sense for Penn. It gives him to get to that weight and test it out and the show puts his name back out there.

But what does it do for Edgar?

$$$$

I dont think much will help Edgar sell fights. He's boring as shit, and I appreciate GSP fighting, most of the time.

edit: I'm also tired of BJ's comebacks. He got it right by training with the Marinovich(sp) bros, but couldn't witstand the pain. I'm done cheering for Penn. well, I will in this fight, 'cause edgar is a point striker and it pisses me off, but the BJ disappointment is to high.

Yeah, those fucking Maynard fights were a chore to watch.

He must enjoy putting himself in a lose-lose situation...

Scenario 1) Win... "Well, all you did was beat a washed up fighter that was drained from the weight cut since he had never before fought at 145."

Scenario 2) Lose... "You lost to a past-his-prime BJ Penn and are no longer in title contention."

He must enjoy putting himself in a lose-lose situation...

Scenario 1) Win... "Well, all you did was beat a washed up fighter that was drained from the weight cut since he had never before fought at 145."

Scenario 2) Lose... "You lost to a past-his-prime BJ Penn and are no longer in title contention."

Bozactly

I'm Canadian, and I would rather watch Edgar fight than GSP any day

Back