Another "Deadliest Catch" tragedy-5 dead 2 rescued horrendous icing conditions.

unimackpass

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
130' Crab boat headed from Kodiak to Dutch Harbore sank in horrific icing conditions. Very experience captain and crew were looking for a place to hide and then called in a mayday before sinking.

We've been watching the weather for three weeks to go to Kodiak and pick up a 300,000lb crane to bring back to Homer. If you make the wrong call your screwed because you just keep icing down no matter what you do.

Captain- "I don't know if you pray but now would be a good time."

"We waited to long."

"This is terrifying."

Mon uncle is 60 and retired from is blue collar job.

And he goes crab fishing a few weeks a year.... FOR FUN.

(that guy is insane, i Know)

Sounds like they iced up, while fully loaded, and started listing in bad weather. Weather up there is awful right now. RIP

Sad stuff. Many families affected.

What a way to go. RIP

130' Crab boat headed from Kodiak to Dutch Harbore sank in horrific icing conditions. Very experience captain and crew were looking for a place to hide and then called in a mayday before sinking.

We've been watching the weather for three weeks to go to Kodiak and pick up a 300,000lb crane to bring back to Homer. If you make the wrong call your screwed because you just keep icing down no matter what you do.

Captain- "I don't know if you pray but now would be a good time."

"We waited to long."

"This is terrifying."

The one telling them to pray, is it his fault they ended up there?

They’d have made Whitefish Bay if they’d put fifteen more miles behind them.

Top side icing is no joke. Raises your vessels center of gravity and fucks your stability all to hell, couple that with shitty seas. Busting ice off was an all hands evolution on my old ship

RIP

Back