Anime and Manga v40: Repeated Thread Necromancy Edition

You sure? I'm about halfway through the series, I don't think I saw anything in the trailer I didn't recognize. Nothing from the farm in Jutland and after.

edit: the part where Thorkell cuts the mask on a ship is unfamiliar to me.
Maybe my memory of what happens in which volume is off, but the dude with the chain is a relatively recent addition to the cast. As far as I can tell, almost everything in that trailer other than the sequence where Askalad ambushed Thors on the ship is post-farm.

you're thinking of sigurd, that's his father halfdan from earlier in the story who carries the same chain.
It's been years since I read the earlier chapters, I didn't even remember Halfdan being in them. I looked it up on the wiki for a refresher and I guess the stuff that I thought were later scenes probably are from earlier on.

Just shows I should really reread the whole thing (I own it, might as well).

Last edited:
Sung Jin-Woo I’m guessing has to be in the S class level. But where does he fall on the spectrum? Maybe an average S class Hunter? His growth has to peak at some point.

Chainsawman- Art work reminds me of something but I can’t recall what...Plot is so basic though. Meh. Could turn out great or flop.

It's been years since I read the earlier chapters, I didn't even remember Halfdan being in the earlier chapters. I looked it up on the wiki for a refresher and I guess the stuff that I thought were later scenes probably are from earlier on.

Just shows I should really reread the whole thing (I own it, might as well).
Halfdan shows up during the initial flashback to Thorfinn's childhood in Iceland, to retrieve his escaped slave. Vol. 2 I believe.

Sung Jin-Woo I’m guessing has to be in the S class level. But where does he fall on the spectrum? Maybe an average S class Hunter? His growth has to peak at some point.

Chainsawman- Art work reminds me of something but I can’t recall what...Plot is so basic though. Meh. Could turn out great or flop.
He couldn't handle the elf dude by himself and was too low level to rez him so I don't think he's quite an S rank yet. Probably a solid A.

The artist is the same as Fire Punch, if you ever read that one.

He couldn't handle the elf dude by himself and was too low level to rez him so I don't think he's quite an S rank yet. Probably a solid A.
High end A rank sounds about right. But he’ll definitely break into S-class after this raid.

The artist is the same as Fire Punch, if you ever read that one.
Nah never read that one but I’ll check it out.

Nah never read that one but I’ll check it out.
Keep in mind that wasn't really meant as an endorsement. Fire Punch is...out there. Like, waaaaaay out there. First chapter features incest and cannibalism. It's dark and bleak all the way through, tonally pretty similar to Wolfsmund.

I need to go back to this one. Started the first episode and it seemed good but I was busy with other anime and just life in general. I also enjoy a good love story.
Some people find the first ten episodes slow, but I personally enjoyed them all. If you decide to watch it, let me know what you think.

Keep in mind that wasn't really meant as an endorsement. Fire Punch is...out there. Like, waaaaaay out there. First chapter features incest and cannibalism. It's dark and bleak all the way through, tonally pretty similar to Wolfsmund.
Just finished the first chapter. Welp...might keep this one on the back burner. If the authors/artists intent was to perplex me, then they succeeded.

5 episodes in The Rising of the Shield Hero and I'm loving the hell out of it. A must-see especially if you love RPG video games. Love that they even have a chocobo-like creature and a chocobo-like race in the last episode.

WYZ2F94.jpg

If you love Yu Yu Hakusho, then these guys just won the internet:

5 episodes in The Rising of the Shield Hero and I'm loving the hell out of it. A must-see especially if you love RPG video games. Love that they even have a chocobo-like creature and a chocobo-like race in the last episode.

WYZ2F94.jpg
The first anime I introduced to my son that he loves so much that he read the manga.

WYZ2F94.jpg
I know it's highly rated right now. I am purposely not watching until the season is over so I can binge watch without waiting.

The first anime I introduced to my son that he loves so much that he read the manga.
For the love of god, avoid the light novel! I accidently bought the first volume thinking it was the manga, and it was total shit. The writing was some of the most amateurish garbage I've ever slogged through. I have no idea how they managed to make an enjoyable manga (and now apparently an anime as well) from such poor starting material.

For the love of god, avoid the light novel! I accidently bought the first volume thinking it was the manga, and it was total shit. The writing was some of the most amateurish garbage I've ever slogged through. I have no idea how they managed to make an enjoyable manga (and now apparently an anime as well) from such poor starting material.
It actually kinda lost steam (imo) when the queen returned. He got his redemption far too quick for my liking. I was cheering while it was unfolding but when it did it was like a "now what?" moment.

Mashiba vs Iga

Finally a boxing match. Mashiba should win easily but who knows?

I wonder if this is the fighter Takamura was talking about so many chapters ago? Back in chapter 976.

I hope we get more special shows for Netflix, binging great series like Devilman is so damn great. Id even say the last 2 episodes are the best 2 epsiodes of any show Ive seen last year.

I hope we get more of that for Netflix.

I tried giving ANY of the stuff a chance and other than Goblin Slayer, I don't think I've read or watched anything quite as unpleasant, but for different reasons. Like it goes so far out of its way to make Slavery not seem so bad and a lot of things involving the characters in general as just mediocre writing. It's elevated by good visuals across all mediums and the music, but those are all damning with faint praise.

Update on how the series is doing in Japan

*No.2 in Oricon series 2018-12 monthly ranking with ¥701.6 mil. mostly from manga sales (volume 10 released).

*No.3 in Oricon series 2019-01 monthly ranking with ¥644.2 mil. This should already included ¥ ~97.6 mil. from BD/DVD sales, and a lot of light novel + manga backlog sales due to new year. All the light novel volumes entered Oricon 2019-01 light novel monthly top 50, and volume 13.5 ranked No.1. Yea, a data book took the top spot of light novel ranking last month...

*Currently the EXQ Rimuru figure are either selling at double to triple the original price (some are even 2nd hand goods) in Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. I have seen ¥7000 ~ ¥14000 in Japan (Tokyo and Yokohama). The only place now to buy it with original price in the region is likely via BiliBili (China).

*Light novel is selling around 25K copies of backlogs per month.

*Manga is outselling Attack of Titan in the eBook department of Koudansha. Actually it is outselling nearly everything in the eBook market in Japan based on the 2018 yearly rankings of the major eBook sites as it is ranked either No.1 (manga list) or No.2 in overall sales only behind Overlord LN (Ainz sama is god of eBook 2018). Tensura LN also in top 10~20 in overall 2018.

*Ichiban Kuji volume 2 Japan, has enough stocks to last around 2~3 weeks this time. A few prize F and G in 2nd hand shops.

*Ichiban Kuji volume 2 Taiwan, most of them nearby sold out before 6pm on release day....on a week day. Some are selling the ticket at higher than street price. Seen some prize A alone selling at crazy price.

*Ichiban Kuji volume 2 Hong Kong (2019-01), sold out the same day it released which nobody even noticed. Spent whole day asking around shops but no 2nd hand goods can be found.

*2018-12 : One Piece, Slime (manga vol.10 + backlog) 2019-01: Idol M@ster, Promised Neverland, Slime (LN 13.5 + backlogs)

*Latest Slime manga (vol.10 released in Dec) is currently selling double the copies of Promised Neverland manga (vol.12 releases in Jan), and now in the same range of My Hero Academy and Attack of Titan per volume sales.

*The series overall is currently at 100+ millions yen revenue weekly since the anime started and this trend is likely to last for a while longer. Oricon doesn’t report on the eBook sales or 3rd party merchandises. I’d estimate they already earned enough for the entire anime (25 episodes + 1 OAD) back in 2018.

*There are reports of Taiwan and Hong Kong (same localization publisher) is seriously having shortage of some LN volumes especially LN 11 which the publisher is sill re-printing to catch up on demands. Funny thing is a lot of people ONLY buy LN 11 to pay respect (there are Chinese fan translations of the LN) which is part of the reason that caused the shortage. LN 12 limited edition (with the Luminous side story booklet) also sold out.

Hey guys, I think Slime is doing pretty well for itself.

Just started watching this with my daughter the other day. Only on episode two but seems pretty good so far. Love how everyone treats him like shit because of his shield. Something tells me his need to rely on others will turn him into the leader of the heroes or the one most capable of it anyways.

"That one time I got reincarnated as a slime" has been great the first anime ever that is legitimately making me laugh on a consistent basis. Most anime the humor just doesn't translate well.

Back