Animal Collective & associated acts

Rex Kwon Do

ál-ḥámdúlílláh
@Silver
Reaction score
Any Animal Collective/Panda Bear/Avey Tare/etc. fans here? My friend introduced me to AC around 2005 with "Winter's Love," which remains one of my favorite songs they've recorded. Over the years they've experimented a lot, avoiding making the same album twice all while retaining their sound. I've really come to love their music, as well as Panda Bear's solo career. I know less about the solo careers of the other members, though I've listened to a few of Avey's solo albums and liked them.

Some favorites:

Last edited:
I dropped acid and saw them live this year in chicago. Alvin Row was incredible

Deakin just released his first solo project and it is a really nice chill record that didn't disappoint me

I don't think it ever got better than
their first release.

Though I love their collaboration
with Vashti Bunyan

I think the Fall Be Kind EP is up there as one of their best releases

they're coming my way soon. I was thinking about going to see them.

[yt]

Awesome song

Awesome live performance

I dropped acid and saw them live this year in chicago. Alvin Row was incredible

Deakin just released his first solo project and it is a really nice chill record that didn't disappoint me

Really late on this, but yeah, I listened to Deakin's album a couple of months ago and was impressed. People in the comments sections of AC videos have been ragging on poor Deakin for a long time because of how long it's taken him, and how rambling the road to get there had been, but it turned out great in the end.

I like them.

Person Pitch is still one of the best albums of the last ten years.

Don't like much of the AC catalogue though, sounds like the music of people learning to make music.

Going to see these motherfuckers live in Chicago in July

woo

one of my favorite groups, i was introduced to them through an mma highlight that sherdog user @LMW87 made:

i'll add this performance of you can count on me by panda bear on jimmy fallon:

Going to see these motherfuckers live in Chicago in July

woo

The Sung Tongs tour, eh? Nice.

one of my favorite groups, i was introduced to them through an mma highlight that sherdog user @LMW87 made:

i'll add this performance of you can count on me by panda bear on jimmy fallon:

Wow, I would never expect an MMA HL reel to use AnCo music lol

Wow, I would never expect an MMA HL reel to use AnCo music lol
hahaha same, but i'm glad it did. i feel like discovering animal collective there not only made me start listening to the group's music but really opened up my mind to a lot of other music.

Big fan, although I definitely have to be in a certain mood. My personal favorites are Sung Tongs and Panda's Person Pitch. Avey's Spirit They're Gone... can be a good listen too, again if my ears are in the mood. The first few Animal Collective albums aren't worth it, and lately I think they've been a bit lost too. But I really like that they just push on with whatever has grabbed their attention, rather than taking the easy route and churning out another "my girls" style single every couple of years.

I have a couple music critic pals who just can't stand the band, which continues to surprise me. You can foam at the mouth about stuff like Lightning Bolt or Faith No More but dismiss Animal Collective without really listening to their stuff?

Back