Angles for trips and judo tosses etc

Some nice throws/trips which are done straight on, against an upright opponent.

It's still the angle, but from a different angle, basically.

The angle he gets is, down in front of his opponent, vs to the side.

Real quick....

Watch that again. Peters pulls Sayidov back with his left grip, pushes forward with his right causing Sayidov to rotate to Peter's left sleeve grip side like an opposite side Deashi Harai Ura(back side). The angle is Peters uses his upper body to block Sayidov's upper body from being able to stay over his hips. It's the classic running into a horizontal object where your upper body stops and your feet fly out from under you. Peters helps that principle out by sweeping Sayidovs feet and driving through the throw, but the "angles" are right there underneath the surface.

I recognize the mechanics because it's one of my fav's and I have a shadow UchiKomi dedicated to it. Mine is a little more linear because I modified it to a MMA sparring distance take down, but the pull the sleeve, push the lapel, sweep the lapel foot as Uke tries to step back principles are the same. Peters, which was awesome to analyze uses circular rotation from grips, the way you train it at the Dojo, at a world class level against the next best player in his weight class.

PS I'll check out those other clips you posted but I gotta train now....

What they never teach you in class.

Angle to opponents center line sets the momentum for every throw.

I applied the "angle" concept to wrestling some time ago to great success, body lock tosses etc.

Now trips and sweeps, same concept.

ITS CRITICAL especially in Judo!
Next to unbalancing and counter throw mentally its absolutely massive

What a shame they try SO HARD to FORCE the action instead of just letting athletes grapple

Love this clip, best demo of outside angle to make a takedown functional.

For sure. I think many coaches consider angles a "given" or, like scrambling, something you just kind of pick up by going live a lot. But by being aware of them and intentionally creating them like Askren does in that video, you'll be ahead of the game.

don't think about angles , think about how to make the opponent not be able to take the next step

Another example video - all setups are from an angle.

Never been shown this in any class - maybe my former coaches were all assclowns?

Tosses 3 through 5 show some beautiful angles for super clean throws.

Simply just getting the angle to their opponents center line.

Power travels in straight lines - cut an angle to the center line = an effective throw.

"Pull this way, pull that way, momentum" blah blah blah bullshinanigans.

Angles = the effective concept.

Kolat showing some perfect angle setups for throws.

Hips perpendicular to opponents = getting the angle.

Pre-requisite to every throw.

Back