Anderson Silva is a free agent but with restrictions (with ref from Forbes)

Doesn't make any difference to Anderson Silva being a free agent whatsoever. All it does is give ufc the option to match a competitors offer before deal finalizes in order to sway the fighter towards ufc. Its up to the ufc if they want to offer anything at all and its still up to the fighter whichever contract he ends up choosing. Scott Coker is just making a smart move, why should he pay thousands to get a washed up old Silva fighting for him, don't know many who still want to see him fight.

Silva could be making millions in Bellator fighting Fedor. I think he knows this, Bellator know and the UFC know this.

You are crazy if you think Silva is going to get millions from bellator.

Even though Fedor and Anderson both are way past their primes and whoever won wouldn't mean anything in terms of GOAT status, a fight between them would be pretty sick.

You are crazy if you think Silva is going to get millions from bellator.
Bellator is a fading brand, but Anderson vs Fedor would generate a ton of interest. I don't know if he'd make millions in general, but I could see him getting 7 figures to fight Fedor.

Bellator is a fading brand, but Anderson vs Fedor would generate a ton of interest. I don't know if he'd make millions in general, but I could see him getting 7 figures to fight Fedor.

Bellator 214 salaries: Fedor ($300k), Ryan Bader ($150k) lead the way (usatoday.com)

Fedor made 300K against Bader, you think they are going to pay him triple, on top of paying Silva a million? No way in hell, they wouldn't even get the views to justify it. I think people are vastly overstating the viwership potential of Fedor and Silva.

Bellator 214 salaries: Fedor ($300k), Ryan Bader ($150k) lead the way (usatoday.com)

Fedor made 300K against Bader, you think they are going to pay him triple, on top of paying Silva a million? No way in hell, they wouldn't even get the views to justify it. I think people are vastly overstating the viwership potential of Fedor and Silva.
Well, yeah, it's Ryan Bader. Anderson vs Fedor could be pretty huge if promoted correctly, they were considered the two consensus GOATs of their eras, Fedor rose a bit before Anderson and faded a few years earlier, but from 2006-2010, both of those guys were considered untouchable and were head and shoulders above anyone else. I think it could do pretty big business.

Allegedly, Anderson Silva is currently a free agent, but Scott Coker of Bellator appears not interested in signing him at this time:

This could be part of the reason.

However, a bigger possibility is that Anderson Silva's "free agency" status is not truly free and still allows for the UFC to outbid Bellator to resign him.

According to Forbes, the UFC contract has this thing called "the right to match," which allows the UFC to match whatever Bellator is offering to a "free agent" (Anderson Silva):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulgi...ntracts-are-more-restrictive/?sh=77b0cfd6471a

"Right-to-match is essentially restricted free agency, giving the incumbent promoter the right to match the financial terms of any new offer a fighter gets from a different promoter.

... the UFC had restricted free agency clauses in 99.9% of its contracts lasting for 12 months on average."

Therefore, I believe Bellator could be waiting for this period (12 months) to expire, and Silva will be truly free. Only then will Bellator be able to sign him without the UFC stepping in to "c0ck block". <Lmaoo>

The UFC RELEASED Silva. He is free to do what he wishes, and the UFC can't match (not that they would anyway, they cut him).

The UFC released him from his contract.

Perhaps TS needs to better understand what is going on here.

Well, yeah, it's Ryan Bader. Anderson vs Fedor could be pretty huge if promoted correctly, they were considered the two consensus GOATs of their eras, Fedor rose a bit before Anderson and faded a few years earlier, but from 2006-2010, both of those guys were considered untouchable and were head and shoulders above anyone else. I think it could do pretty big business.

I do agree it could do much better than what Bellator has been pulling, but at this stage in their careers, fightign for Bellator, they are not going to pull anything substantial to earnt hem half a million paydays each.

Back