Anderson going down the Chuck Liddell road?

10000 Days

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Chuck was too stubborn to retire, ending up losing 5 of his last 6, including his KO loss to Rampage in 2007 for the LHW title.

Anderson lost the title to Weidman in 2013, and a second time in the rematch. He hasn't won in his last 4 outings (1 NC though), and last won in 2012 against Stephan Bonnar.

Do you see Anderson going down the same path as Chuck?

well, in theory everyone is going to go down that road eventually. it's just a matter of whether or not he keeps fighting. I'll tell you one thing, he's not going to improve from now on. I just hopes he keeps giving us entertaining fight and knows when enough is enough.

Chuck was getting KO'd fight after fight.

Anderson has been KO'd once so far and snapped his leg in half. Not exactly the same trend though I am concerned by Anderson's fading chin.

He got wobbled/flash KO'd by Bisping of all people which is not a good indicator for how your chin is holding up in old age.

I'd have to see him fight a full, "normal" non-clowning fight and lose, to make that decision. The last time we saw him fight completely normal was against Diaz, and he won that fight until it was turned into a NC.

So we'd have to see him give his all, and have it still not be enough until it's clear he can no longer win any fights anymore. Silva cost Silva that fight against Bisping, as he chose to dance and exercise, instead of fight.

we'll see. he's certainly not the fighter he once was.

Hed still beat alot of fighters right now. Just not the top guys.

Maybe, being wobbled a couple of time by Bising who got no power whatsoever might be a good indicator. If he face somebody with power next time and fight like a dumbass again he will get ktfo.

I disagree...
Even though he will never make another title run, there are still some exciting fights to make.

Almost every great does if they stay around too long regardless of the sport. It's that or they only fight cans with 2-1 mma records the rest of their careers.

I would have to rewatch to score round by round, but I thought he beat Bisping, and as a huge Silva fan I was hoping he'd retire off that nice win. If he sticks around much longer it will almost certainly be another Liddell situation.

I think any of the top 5 MW's would smash Anderson at this point. His flying knee when the Count lost his mouthpiece was lame. Having said that, everybody wants to see Belfort vs Anderson 2 in Brazil with their lax PED rules. Jacked up Belfort vs Anderson. Make it happen Dana.

No. Chuck tried to fight his way back into title contention. He fought prime savages. Andersen knows better. Diaz and Bisping isn't prime Shogun and Evans. Andersen probably fights one more time trying to go out with a win.

No. Andy isn't getting savagely KO'd over and over. He decisioned Diaz (before the NC overturn...) and almost KTFO Bisping (even though Bisping dropped his guard stupidly). I think Andy can be competitive with anybody in the division if:

-he gets his old confidence back, including confidence to throw leg kicks
-he has shaken the ring rust off
-he understands that sometimes he must go on the offensive instead of trying to counter

I still believe he has the technical ability and innate fight IQ to beat pretty much anyone. It's a matter of him assessing what he did wrong in the Bisping fight honestly instead of blaming a "corrupt system" or whatever he said. He 100% lost that fight on the scorecards and he has to admit that to himself and understand why.

Back