Anderson: A lot to lose, little to gain

whimsical1

White Belt
Reaction score
Let me begin this by stating I don't think Silva will have much problem dismantling Diaz.

But I view this as a lose-lose for Silva. If he beats Diaz it's something he was supposed to do - facing a guy from a lower weight class who has not beaten any top-tier WW and who has been out of the game for a significant period of time.

If he loses, it's a huge blemish on his legacy - losing to a guy from a lower weight class who has not beaten any top-tier WW and who has been out of the game for a significant period of time.

The only upside I can see is that he's probably getting paid very well for the match.

If he wants to win the middleweight title it doesn't hurt. The UFC can't give him another immediate rematch so it's a way he can bide some time and wait for his opportunity.

Shogun is getting decimated left and right but it doesn't matter, he will always be one of the greatest forever. Silva is 38, he could go on a 6 fight losing streak and people will remember him for what he did in his prime. Every great fighter with warrior spirit will leave with a good bunch of Ls at the end of their careers.(GSP clearly not one of them because he is more brains than heart)
I understand your point, Diaz fans will be like ''oh he could have beaten him at any point in his career'' and that will be annoying as fuck, but other than that i don't think this will affect Anderson.

Shogun is getting decimated left and right but it doesn't matter, he will always be one of the greatest forever. Silva is 38, he could go on a 6 fight losing streak and people will remember him for what he did in his prime. Every great fighter with warrior spirit will leave with a good bunch of Ls at the end of their careers.(GSP clearly not one of them because he is more brains than heart)
I understand your point, Diaz fans will be like ''oh he could have beaten him at any point in his career'' and that will be annoying as fuck, but other than that i don't think this will affect Anderson.

Silva is 39 going on 40 actually, he will be celebrating his 40th birthday in 3 months.

He gets a title shot if he wins not exacley a lose lose lol.

Silva has nothing to lose in this fight, he already lost his title.

I agree. It's a bit like when Fedor came back from his losses to Werdum & Bigfoot and fought the smaller Henderson. There was very little for Fedor to gain and the loss basically signalled the end of his illustrious career at elite level.

I've got the same feeling about this one.

I just think age has caught up to Anderson.

Last edited:
When you're not in the title picture and near the end of your career, super fights like these happen.

lose-lose?

WneasXA.gif

Let me begin this by stating I don't think Silva will have much problem dismantling Diaz.

But I view this as a lose-lose for Silva. If he beats Diaz it's something he was supposed to do - facing a guy from a lower weight class who has not beaten any top-tier WW and who has been out of the game for a significant period of time.

If he loses, it's a huge blemish on his legacy - losing to a guy from a lower weight class who has not beaten any top-tier WW and who has been out of the game for a significant period of time.

The only upside I can see is that he's probably getting paid very well for the match.

You're looking at this as a fan in the know. Silva is going to gain a shit ton by destroying Nick Diaz from the casuals, who enjoy Diaz and are excited for this fight. It's a low-to-medium risk, high reward. Diaz is a nice easy style for Silva, but the fight earns Silva a lot of money and a lot of steam with a victory.

Some will shit on the win, but most are gonna be "Wow, Silva is back. Nobody has ever walked through Diaz like that."

He can be only the only fighter to make Diaz quit for the third time.

He's already had a successful career this fight is just for fun

He gets a title shot if he wins not exacley a lose lose lol.

I doubt he gets a title shot if he wins, if so thats fucked. He's 0-2 against Wiedman and was not competitive in either fight. He's also a year older with a brocken leg, it would be stupid.

His only win win is a Jones fight imo. Andy fought at 205 before and Jones is King there. Slay the king you get props. Lose and you will still get props for stepping up to the challenge. People will protect and say you were past your prime and stepped inside a cage with a monster.

It depends on the way in which he wins. If Anderson is able to fight Nick's fight,stand in the pocket, and still dominate, everyone will be saying "Anderson is back!" If he wins by playing it safe and staying on his bicycle, maybe not so much. Of the few that have beaten Nick, I'm not sure any have done it purely by going toe to toe with him. I think a win in that fashion would make a statement that he's still got it.

His only win win is a Jones fight imo. Andy fought at 205 before and Jones is King there. Slay the king you get props. Lose and you will still get props for stepping up to the challenge. People will protect and say you were past your prime and stepped inside a cage with a monster.

I used to think otherwise, but at this point I just can't see Anderson standing any realistic chance against Jones.

Silva is done as a contender, and I don't see anything wrong with that. He doesn't have anything else to prove, his legacy is cemented. I hope he sticks to fun fights like Diaz.

Back