An old question for you 90's Fight fans answered: **UPDATED

Alright guys, I finally found the original article about Joseph ran in the Las Vegas Sun:

Sun editorial:
A boxer

Yeah it's a brutal sport full of brutal realities but so is life. There are also angels out there who help out sometimes, people who do care. The problem with us fighters is that we do not like to be assertive, do everything we can to avoid it, most fighters are drawn to the sport as a way to funnel aggression and anger. The fighters I've known are almost always the gentlest guys who let people walk all over them (ironically) and hence it happens. Personally, I cared for me, I love me and used to tell the fighters and everyone else that. You know "you guys are already ugly, you got nothing to lose, Me? I'm a good looking guy". You know, if the fighters would not work or tolerate the treatment they get it wouldn't happen. I hate to hear those stories and have heard them my whole life. Sad but think about what you do, think about consequences for you and your loved ones don't think only for the moment (which is the very definition of a fight). Fighters that I've been around can't say they've never been told because I've been the one telling them, they do what they want anyway and some of there stories end up with utter humiliation instead of money and fame. It's not the promoters and managers jobs to look out for the fighter, it's the fighters job.

Good news, I was hoping something like this would happen but ofcourse never expected it too.

Thanks for the update.

Good read, sad story. But an unusual happy ending to finish it off.

Well done to the guy who stepped in to help him, it

Yeah it's a brutal sport full of brutal realities but so is life. There are also angels out there who help out sometimes, people who do care. The problem with us fighters is that we do not like to be assertive, do everything we can to avoid it, most fighters are drawn to the sport as a way to funnel aggression and anger. The fighters I've known are almost always the gentlest guys who let people walk all over them (ironically) and hence it happens. Personally, I cared for me, I love me and used to tell the fighters and everyone else that. You know "you guys are already ugly, you got nothing to lose, Me? I'm a good looking guy". You know, if the fighters would not work or tolerate the treatment they get it wouldn't happen. I hate to hear those stories and have heard them my whole life. Sad but think about what you do, think about consequences for you and your loved ones don't think only for the moment (which is the very definition of a fight). Fighters that I've been around can't say they've never been told because I've been the one telling them, they do what they want anyway and some of there stories end up with utter humiliation instead of money and fame. It's not the promoters and managers jobs to look out for the fighter, it's the fighters job.

I hear ya, and I agree. One of the most touchy subjects among Fighters, and I mean both new Fighters just looking for something to channel themselves into, and even 2nd and 3rd generation Princes looking to make their mark in the "Family Business" is that of redemption. I've hardly met a Fighter who began as a good man, as simply a Sportsman and nothing more. I'd wager to say 90% of them are Fighting for some sort of redemption, being of that of having led the life of a pauper, a criminal, or a coward, and even to either erase the sins of their Fathers, or restore glory to inherited names. Most men get into Professions for a combination of love for what they do, and redemption of some sort, but not many are as cathartic as subjecting oneself to repetitious beatings in order to gain some modicum of respect or ground with humanity in-terms of perceived class.

I often get told that America specifically is very detached from this. Steve Cunningham recently remarked that in Germany Fighters are still treated as Athletes, celebrities. That after beating Marco Huck the German Press met him at the Air Port, as did the Public for a big send-off. But when arriving in Chicago, it was nothing, and he was just another face in the crowd getting off the plane.

Joseph perhaps had th Karma for a happy ending because he was one of the few Sportsman.

you have the redemption factor right, as an Indian I've got a lot of stuff inside and so do blacks, poor whites or whoever fights for a living. Many times I have given in to the nihilism and just let people hit me and I can feel the thrill of it. Afterwards I think about how stupid it is to do that. Muhammad Ali said in his book that some psychologist said that all fighters suffer from self-hatred, well there is some truth to that. But why let a bunch of bastards benefit from your hard work, your body, your money? It's stupid to do all that sacrificing if people are not even doing there jobs properly which is often the case. And even if they are doing their jobs it is still a self-responsibility to look out for self and you do that as I said, with narcissisism, with pure self love.

Back