amusing interview

stile0

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
My old instructor Bret 'the angry hick' Bergmark was interviewed about his upcoming fight (unfortunately got injured and had to drop out) but he addressed some questions about Cesar's belt promotions and he tells a pretty funny story about his days with the Ralph Gracie guys. Definitely worth giving a listen.

The interview starts at 45 minutes in.

Verbal Submission 4 Mike Guymon Bret Bergmark 10/3/2010 - Pure Adrenaline | Internet Radio | Blog Talk Radio

The story about the Ralph Gracie guys starts at 01:02

Last edited:
Blocked at work, can we get the footnotes?

Thanks for posting, but am I the only one who HATES internet radio interviews? Either give me a video clip, or let me read the damn thing. I mean, its god damn 2010, who needs radio!?

ok, im calm now.

Blocked at work, can we get the footnotes?

-diaz bro's are pretty chill guys in real life
-dave terrell is a beast
-cesar just has high standards and wants his guys to actually represent their rank
-Bret and some other Ralph Gracie guys got into a street fight with the same group of guys 3 times. Resulted in some people getting KO'd, armbarred, and rnc'd

-diaz bro's are pretty chill guys in real life
-dave terrell is a beast
-cesar just has high standards and wants his guys to actually represent their rank
-Bret and some other Ralph Gracie guys got into a street fight with the same group of guys 3 times. Resulted in some people getting KO'd, armbarred, and rnc'd

Say anything about Terrell ever fighting again?

Say anything about Terrell ever fighting again?

Damn, I was wondering where that guy went... He disappeared after Evan Tanner beat him down.. He was a tough dude I hope he decides to fight again... Did the UFC cut him after one loss?

Damn, I was wondering where that guy went... He disappeared after Evan Tanner beat him down.. He was a tough dude I hope he decides to fight again... Did the UFC cut him after one loss?

he had many attempted comebacks all ending before the fight due to injury or illness. Guy just can't get thru a training camp healthy.

Thanks for digging the interview.

Here's a link to the transcript of the highlights if you don't feel like listening.

Also, I'll post the awesome street fight story here:

Brian Hemminger: Ok, well you mentioned you got your nickname hanging out with Gabe Ruediger. I heard you guys used to all live together and you were just crazy. Do you mind sharing any of the stories from those days?

Bret Bergmark: Actually Gabe and I were roommates way back when, around the turn of the century. We were out with a bunch of our core groups of guys, Kurt Osiander, Aaron Hart, the Professor. It was New Years Eve, we were going down to watch the fireworks in San Fransisco down at the Fisherman's wharf in that vicinity. I've got a nice button up on, my boots, a cowboy hat.

Anyways, Kurt Osiander bumps into some guy and he goes "Whoops, sorry" and the guy gave Kurt a little bit of a shove and it was on from there. Kurt spins the guy around, gets him in a rear naked. Some other guy went after me and Gabe Ruediger jumps on him and goes for an armbar from mount. We're reasonably sober and we're pulling things apart going "let's get out of here, let's get out of here!" So we're running off and there's three guys in a ball on the ground. We're like "Oh shit!" and we're looking for cops walking away.

About 5 minutes later, the same group of guys show up with more fellas and they go after us all again. This time it's basically the same scenario as before except I'm the only one standing there. There's 8 guys on the ground, Kurt's got some guy on the ground. James Meadows has a guy in a triangle. There's guys flailing around. Gabe's got another guy in an armbar from mount, I don' t know what his deal was that night but armbar from mount was his deal. There was this little guy with us we called him Slim Shady, he must have been about 5'4 a solid, solid 130 and this guy comes after him and gives him a shove and Shady just lays him out with a straight right. The guy was about 6' and at least 200 lbs. He dropped like a sack of potatoes to the ground. Again everyone's hustling up grabbing bodies and we're running down the street and these guys show up again.

It was ridiculous, 3 times they came at us and I'd had enough. I see a police officer and I tap her on her shoulder and I'm like "Pardon me, ma'am? These guys keep attacking us and getting their asses kicked." She talks into the radio and she goes "Three blocks back, that was you guys?" and I'm like "uhh, yeah??" and she starts laughing and she goes "Guys just walk off, keep walking away and I'll make sure they don't follow you 'cus apparently 3 of them are on their way to the hospital in the ambulance."

It was just one of those things you don't realize. Most of, we're just buddies having a good time, most of us looking like pencil-necked geeks. You've got me in a cowboy hat in the middle of the city, Kurt walking around being himself and all of the sudden they attacked one of us. It was shit like that pretty much every other weekend. It was fun for a while you eventually get tired of it, trying to do the right thing. Kurt apologized to the guy, bumping shoulders in the middle of the street. Show some class, but such is life.

Last edited:
Yeah, the story was ridiculous. especially knowing bret and imagining him in the situation. plus picturing a guy getting arm barred from mount in the street is pretty epic.

i love transcripts, thank you!

awesome story!

kurt is a very cool, laid back dude (not to mention a great instructor)

whoever started in with him had it coming, that's for sure.

Thanks man, it was all Bret. Dude is just a cornucopia of awesome stories that are just waiting to be told. I'm looking forward to having him make repeat visits to my show.

Last edited:
Hilarious street fight story. Makes me like Ruediger a *little* bit more

Hilarious street fight story. Makes me like Ruediger a *little* bit more

Yeah I think I'll actually be rooting for him at UFC 123 in Detroit. If I see him I'll ask him about the old street fighting days 10 years ago.

Back