America’s not so great military

Im not a soldier but it would seem to me that maybe perhaps if whoever was in charge actually would have let you kill all the bad guys youd found , dipshits like ts wouldnt be here talking about our military sucks

It's hard to get people to like you from a political perspective when you keep shooting people they know in the face for being idiots. That's something that never dawns on politicians until about 5 years into shooting people in the face.

Completely agree with how we should have handled things. Saddam was a necessary evil. Whatever he was doing was working, and all we had to do, if anything, was just contain him so he didn't destabilize the rest of the region.

Interesting points.
It makes a lot more sense why things failed so fantastically. As you said, i believe a key mistake was thinking that they wanted what we had from the get go. We can't agree what we want in our own country, so it was pretty foolish to think we could get another group to pen down, agree, and implement how to run a country of their own.
I imagine it's hard to do practically anything in Afghanistan or Iraq on account of the weather and terrain though. Who wants to do construction, or much of anything in that heat? It just seems like an area of the world that was doomed to always be left behind in the stone age.

In the end, people have to fail or succeed on their own merits though. Hopefilly that's something America has learned from now on. No amount of time, blood, or money will force someone to do things they truly don't want to do
Thanks for the post. Interesting to read something from a knowledgeable perspective
The terrain in Iraq was only shitty due to the heat and sand. It was maybe a 5 out of 10. Afghanistan was an 11 because of those mountains. If anything, Afghanistan was more cold than hot though. They’ll always be a more primitive society because it’ll take forever to build good roads.

Let’s be real.

I’m not hating. I’m being realistic.

America has won just one time since WWII. Korea considered a draw. Vietnam considered an outright loss (more political, but still). Won desert storm. Iraq and Afghanistan have been failures so far. The main issue with Iraq and Afghanistan is you can’t win because there’s no way you’re going to destroy an idea (an idea that you guys created), but you can’t leave or just ask for peace at this point anymore. Ya fucked up, big time.

Technologically, you’re the best. Strategically, on the ground, hmm..

So amazing that one if your own prefers to use special forces from a different country instead of his own, lol.

I’m not saying any specific country is better because in reality we’re all not nearly as powerful as we think. I honestly feel america has become too reliant on their tech and their soldiers aren’t what they used to be. There’s more to war than just bombs. How are you on the ground? Definitely one of the best still, but without your bombs you’re in a real hard place.

Believe me I’m on your side when I say this. These are just historical facts. So don’t hate on me, hate reality.

I love you, Murica. Canada is more Americanized than you seem to think (except the French part above us).

This is the reality of war. Let’s understand these countries we’ve all made fun of are VERY capable. They’re stronger than you’d think. America has went through hell time and time again and in the end it’s almost always never worked out. War is complicated.

This is gonna upset some people for no reason, but oh well. Ignore facts again and share opinions. Time for war.
The US military wins errrr day.

Was going to give your posts a chance until you went on the typical homoerotic russian boner rants you see on sherdog.

Their military was shit back in the cold war and many russians who fled the country noted it was hilarious propaganda they were a fierce military might given how poorly equipped and trained their soldiers were.

Same thing applies today.

Let’s be real. I’m not hating. I’m being realistic.

America has won just one time since WWII. Korea considered a draw. Vietnam considered an outright loss (more political, but still). Won desert storm. Iraq and Afghanistan have been failures so far. The main issue with Iraq and Afghanistan is you can’t win because there’s no way you’re going to destroy an idea (an idea that you guys created), but you can’t leave or just ask for peace at this point anymore. Ya fucked up, big time.

"While serving with Task Force K-Bar, Vice Admiral Robert Harward, a US Navy SEAL, stated that the JTF2 team under his command was his first choice for any direct action." So amazing that one if your own prefers to use special forces from a different country instead of his own, lol.

I honestly feel America has become too reliant on their tech and their soldiers aren’t what they used to be. There’s more to war than just bombs. How are you on the ground? Definitely one of the best still, but without your bombs you’re in a real hard place.

This is the reality of war. Let’s understand these countries we’ve all made fun of are VERY capable. They’re stronger than you’d think. America has went through hell time and time again and in the end it’s almost always never worked out. War is complicated.

:)
Are you Canadian? Have you served in the military? I think your study of military history is a little weak.
Let's take it from the top. You are not being realistic, you are giving your own opinion, like me. Vietnam was lost to American public opinion, not military weakness. North Vietnam and the U.S. media fought a brilliant propaganda war that had the U.S. leave Vietnam in 1975.

You are right about Iraq, Americans should have never gone in and now the country is in pieces and a breeding ground for ISIS, but we did beat the Iraqi Army. The problem started after the war was over. Afghanistan was not, and is not a failure. It is an ongoing conflict. What complicates things is that Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan were all mainly guerrilla warfare. In many cases you don't know who the enemy is or where he is hiding. All three countries have an enemy that will fight for as long as it takes. They may loose battles but will win the war. American long term commitment is now changing. Afghanistan is proof of that, 17 years of war. The longest war in U.S. history. Why do you think most of what is going on with U.S. presence in Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan is being censored from the media?

Vice Admiral Robert Harward has a right to his opinion. Personally I think he is wrong and an idiot. Well, he is a U.S. Navy SEAL, that explains it. :)

I do agree with you on the fact that the new technology generation has made U.S. soldiers weaker and too reliant on technology and other resources to get the job done. Drones have now completely changed how war on the ground is fought, and they are flown (piloted) from right here in the U.S. No need to be in Syria, Iraq, or Afghanistan.

I don't think war is complicated, at least historically. It has become more 'sophisticated'. The U.S. still has the best ground Army in the world. China and Russia also have good armies but I would still put them in second place.

Last edited:
The part you're missing is that the military industrial complex in the US doesn't care about "winning" war, it just wants to perpetually wage it.

The military is great. The problem is not having home field advantage results in asymmetric outcomes.

We actually did well in the middle east until we pulled out and since their military isnt trained anywhere near ours, territories fell back into the hands of ISIS.
If we ever wanted to do a full on attack on however...
We could literally sit off shore all day launching cheap/plentiful tomahawks and win a war through blood, but thats not what anyone wants.
We have 19 aircraft carriers... China/Russia each have 1... We have the F22 and F35 the best planes on the market.
We are moving onto 6th gen fighters now while other nations are barley making 5th gen stealth. The Russians just gave up on the SU-57 their stealth plane because it for lack of better words sucked ass.
China has only has 1 stealth plane the J20 and soon J-31 as they see stealth works.
The US spends more then the next 7/8 nations combined.
We have THAAD in SK ready to shoot down any ICBMs something Russia and China hated and is why they were doing drills together.
We are also building another ICBM interceptor called Aegis Ashore in Japan....
War could be ended quickly, but not trying to kill innocents makes it hard.

Easily a stalemate, if you even want to call it it's own independent war. Really nothing more than a theater of the napoleonic wars

Seeing as our only real goal was the preservation of South Korea, which we achomplished while proving that we could beat the Chinese Army on the battlefield, a long way from the US, in a country that borders China, I'd say that one's a win.

A political one, not a military one. We never lost a battle.

Not at all. What terrible news sources are you reading? Afghanistan is obviously not going the way we'd like. ISIS, if you hadn't noticed, has been defeated in Iraq, and the Government and military we built there defeated them. That's a win for us.

With a tremendous amount of help, 'they' sure did defeat (mostly) ISIS. Without our dedication to OIR I'm certain ISIS would have inflicted even more effects. Now though their government is borderline on the verge of a significant crash. Depending on their still pending elections. Many of the northern MOD units trained by coalition forces during OIF were a complete disappointment. There were however, some very bright stars that held the line. I could write a lot more, but I'll leave it at that. Until the SEALs write books, it's mostly internal at this point.

Let’s be real.
I agree let's be real. This is the reality. The US currently has the most powerful military on earth, bar none.

---In World War II defense spending peaked at 41% percent of GDP.

This is what we have with only the current 3% GDP:

It really is no contest. The US military has such a clear dominance on military technology, education, and capabilities it's not even funny.

The US is responsible for 41% of global military expenditures. That's right the US is responsible for almost half of the world's military expenditures. The U.S. spends more on defense than the next seven countries combined... $620 BILLION.

The US has the second largest active military in the world after China (who has no real force projection). This is complemented by the US's air and naval forces. Speaking of which:

The US Navy has the SECOND largest Air Force in the world. First is the US Air Force. To build on this point the US has air supremacy in every situation. Due to the locations of our carriers and air bases around the world we are able to scramble fighters almost anywhere in the world within an hour.

The US has the most aircraft carriers in the world BY FAR at 10. The US is getting an 11th carrier. Second place is Italy and UK with 2. NO OTHER COUNTRY HAS A NIMITZ CLASS EQUIVALENT CARRIER. The US has as many carriers in service as the rest of the world. Think of each one as a mobile air force base. These are all Nimitz-class carriers, meaning they are a class of super-carriers that can hold about 90 planes each, travel at around 30 knots, and house 2 nuclear reactors for propulsion. These motherfuckers can go over 20 years without refueling! That means the US has 10 mobile air force bases that essentially never rests. The US is the undisputed Queen Bitch of the seas.

And that's only the carriers. Globally, there are 28 Cruisers and 150 Destroyers. The US owns 22 of those Cruisers and 62 of those Destroyers.

The US has the biggest air force, bar none. Technologically, the Russians have come out with an almost equivalent air fighter but the US has a much larger air force and the logistical capability to fight anywhere more efficiently.

As if all these conventional weapons aren't enough, the US's nuclear capabilities are mind-boggling. Everyone knows the US and Russia generally have the same amount of nuclear weapons (around 5,000) but the US's delivery systems are unparalleled. The US holds 71 of 134 total nuclear powered submarines in the world.

Out of these 71, 18 are Ohio-class. These are capable of holding 24 Trident SLBM missiles that each hold up to 8 MIRV (multiple independently targetable re-entry vehicle) nuclear warheads. Each of these MIRV warheads hold a firepower of 100 kilotons of TNT. That means each of these subs could hold 24 missiles that can each separate into 8 nuclear warheads, totaling 192 warheads, each with a range of 4,600 miles. That means a sub off of NYC could hit Anchorage. You read that right. We essentially have 18 mobile nuclear launch bases that can move underwater.

Say there is knowledge of an impending nuclear attack by, say, North Korea. Suppose that US satellites saw North Koreans fueling the missiles and that they were going to launch a warhead. Before they were even done fueling, I am sure the US would have a few subs in the area and be capable of independently targeting each major city and military site in North Korea and nuking them. If they wanted to.

TL:DR The US is Queen Bitch of the world. Militarily ---

Last edited:
Obama did keep America in Iraq and I will forever hold him accountable for it.

No he didn't. He took American troops out of Iraq and that is when all the problems started. That idiot helped to create ISIS. "The JV team." You can add, failure to act in Syria at the right time, resulting in the Syrian/European refugee crisis.

Last edited:
I agree let's be real. This is the reality. The US currently has the most powerful military on earth, bar none.

It really is no contest. The US military has such a clear dominance on military technology, education, and capabilities it's not even funny.

The US is responsible for 41% of global military expenditures. That's right the US is responsible for almost half of the world's military expenditures. The U.S. spends more on defense than the next seven countries combined... $620 BILLION.

The US has the second largest active military in the world after China (who has no real force projection). This is complemented by the US's air and naval forces. Speaking of which:

The US Navy has the SECOND largest Air Force in the world. First is the US Air Force. To build on this point the US has air supremacy in every situation. Due to the locations of our carriers and air bases around the world we are able to scramble fighters almost anywhere in the world within an hour.

The US has the most aircraft carriers in the world BY FAR at 10. The US is getting an 11th carrier. Second place is Italy and UK with 2. NO OTHER COUNTRY HAS A NIMITZ CLASS EQUIVALENT CARRIER. The US has as many carriers in service as the rest of the world. Think of each one as a mobile air force base. These are all Nimitz-class carriers, meaning they are a class of super-carriers that can hold about 90 planes each, travel at around 30 knots, and house 2 nuclear reactors for propulsion. These motherfuckers can go over 20 years without refueling! That means the US has 10 mobile air force bases that essentially never rests. The US is the undisputed Queen Bitch of the seas.

And that's only the carriers. Globally, there are 28 Cruisers and 150 Destroyers. The US owns 22 of those Cruisers and 62 of those Destroyers.

The US has the biggest air force, bar none. Technologically, the Russians have come out with an almost equivalent air fighter but the US has a much larger air force and the logistical capability to fight anywhere more efficiently.

As if all these conventional weapons aren't enough, the US's nuclear capabilities are mind-boggling. Everyone knows the US and Russia generally have the same amount of nuclear weapons (around 5,000) but the US's delivery systems are unparalleled. The US holds 71 of 134 total nuclear powered submarines in the world.

Out of these 71, 18 are Ohio-class. These are capable of holding 24 Trident SLBM missiles that each hold up to 8 MIRV (multiple independently targetable re-entry vehicle) nuclear warheads. Each of these MIRV warheads hold a firepower of 100 kilotons of TNT. That means each of these subs could hold 24 missiles that can each separate into 8 nuclear warheads, totaling 192 warheads, each with a range of 4,600 miles. That means a sub off of NYC could hit Anchorage. You read that right. We essentially have 18 mobile nuclear launch bases that can move underwater.

Say there is knowledge of an impending nuclear attack by, say, North Korea. Suppose that US satellites saw North Koreans fueling the missiles and that they were going to launch a warhead. Before they were even done fueling, I am sure the US would have a few subs in the area and be capable of independently targeting each major city and military site in North Korea and nuking them. If they wanted to.

Good post. I said pretty much what you said a few posts up, but we have what I thought was 19(but I guess its 20 now) Aircraft carriers, as light-carriers are still carriers(albeit not the Super Carrier the Ford class is) We have 10 Nimitz class alone,1 Ford, 1 America and 8 wasps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_carriers_in_service

We dominate the air, the land and the sea, and soon we are going to dominate space as well (militarily speaking; we already dominate space exploration); the rest of the planet's armies aren't even in the same league, let alone ballpark.
I always get a good laugh when someone thinks that the boondoggle of Vietnam or our not simply levelling and killing anything that moves in Iraq is the result of some shortcoming from the US military, and not being tied down by politicians and "winning hearts and minds".

The military is gonna get weaker and weaker.. At least the troops. All the sjw's and the new cool thing to hate your own country will be its downfall

The only reason America might has been perceived to diminished is due to embedded journalist. War is about destroying the other side at all cost. If that is not the objective then war should never be an option. The moment you try to protect civilian deaths you give up a huge amount of power and bring yourself down to the level of your adversary.

Smart bombs weren’t created to lessen civilian casualties as the media would like you to think but to more accurately enforce your will and power on your enemy. The enemy will sleep less knowing the hole or bunker they are in can no longer protect them from an air strike.

Let’s be real.

So amazing that one if your own prefers to use special forces from a different country instead of his own, lol.

I’m not saying any specific country is better because in reality we’re all not nearly as powerful as we think. I honestly feel america has become too reliant on their tech and their soldiers aren’t what they used to be. There’s more to war than just bombs. How are you on the ground? Definitely one of the best still, but without your bombs you’re in a real hard place.

Believe me I’m on your side when I say this. These are just historical facts. So don’t hate on me, hate reality.

I love you, Murica. Canada is more Americanized than you seem to think (except the French part above us).

This is gonna upset some people for no reason, but oh well. Ignore facts again and share opinions. Time for war.

If the American military ever actually took it's phaser of "stun" then their wars would be very short and uncomplicated.

And I'm not even talking about WMD's.

Let’s be real.

What do you want America to do OP? Go destroy every country? Our biggest strength is also our biggest weakness. You are free to say what you want and are welcome to enjoy everything this terrible country has to offer. America will kill you with kindness and with bullets if necessary.

We stopped nazis from burning Jewish people in ovens. Sorry if we arent perfect but we will do what is needed when needed.

Our military is the BEST bar none. Do other nations have a few things that are newer or have some airmen, sailors, or soldiers that are on average better trained or such when comparing a small metric? Sure. However, we have the tech, the training, and the resources. We train Australians, Israelis, Iraqis, Japanese, Kuwaitis, South Koreans, Thai, Philipino, and other forces. We have joint exercises with Canada, Britain, Germany, France, and others.

Our faults and failings concern our politics and rules of engagement. If we had Soviet style rules of engagement we'd be scary and most likely condemned for our actions, especially on today's battlefield where Guerilla tactics see the enemy fighting from within the civilian populace. It's not a lack of training, personnel, or willpower that hampers our actions. It's people in power telling us that we cannot do what needs to be done to decisively win.

I've been lucky enough to work with (in non-combat roles) and support our SOF and regular forces personnel. If you ever get to work alongside Frogs, Rangers, Green Berets, AFSOC, or MARSOC personnel you'll see that we have some of the absolute best of the best.

Back