Social Amazon's LOTR Got Tokenized

It really doesn't matter what they look like. This is the second Age of middle earth, if I remember right.

None of the characters are familiar unless you are really into those books. Most of the stories were unfinished to begin with.

If it is 3/4 as good as the original trilogy, I'm for it.

If this is as good as the Hobbit it's good enough for me.

I did LOL @ the black dwarf princess, checks a lot of boxes for them I'm sure. But the writing is what matters.

Well they had a problem with scarlett johanssen playing a robot based on Ghost in the Shell (Anime)

and Jake gyllenhaal playing th eprince of persia, a video game
But the same hypocrites have no issues/problems with race swapping/tokenizing on LOTR or such similar movies/games.

You know they are going to turn Middle Earth into the 1940's south, it's going to be a shitshow

Anyone watch Wheel of time? The first 7 or 8 books are pretty awesome, and it had lots of strong women, should have been a slam dunk for the current climate, but they still managed to make the show woke garabge.

Never will you find more ugly women on screen together.

I think the show is going to suck but not for these reasons

We can't have any good tv shows or movies anymore. I will just rewatch 90's scifi shows for the 6 millionth time

They weren't tokenized.

They were....

Wait for it....

Tolkienized!
monkey-badum-tss.gif

But the same hypocrites have no issues/problems with race swapping/tokenizing on LOTR or such similar movies/games.

The main concern that people should have with this type of stuff, is that in many cases it sets the actor up for failure. There are cases where an actor plays the role so great that you completely ignore that they don't physically match the character that they were playing, but in most cases, it's just blatant miscasting, and the role ends up falling flat.

The main concern should be that they literally invented essential characters to meet the diversity quota, and not because some hobbits or elves will be "diverse".

"That Tolkien guy is an okay writer, I guess, but if I add a black main character here, and a queer main character there, I'm pretty sure it will make his work a lot better."

- Some Privileged Woke Retard Who Has Never Been Told "No"

I think the show is going to suck but not for these reasons
I am sure the actors and actress are good people its just the writing the will be horrible.
The ones behind it just cant wait to add in more political messages to divide people.

I am sure the actors and actress are good people its just the writing the will be horrible.
The ones behind it just cant wait to add in more political messages to divide people.

I doubt there'll be a big political message unless you consider having a few Dwarfs or Elves or Hobbits being more diverse as a big political message: frankly I don't care about that. If Sauron turns out to be transgender or something then I'll be laughing.

I'm more confident that Amazon has watched the massive success of Game of Thrones and decided that if they throw a billion dollars at another franchise they can get the same success. When I look at Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings it came from a place of absolute love and passion for the work and it showed. Amazons comes from a place of wanting money money money and while I'm sure the writers and actors are going to do their best, I am expecting it to be a steaming pile of shit.

WoT was great. Not even close to as good as the book but for a fantasy show it was solid, didnt even care that a small villiage in essentially rural england was a total mixed bag of races. I have never fucking understood how people care about that. An acquaintance of mine boycotted witcher because Yennifer wasnt pasty white.

The main concern should be that they literally invented essential characters to meet the diversity quota, and not because some hobbits or elves will be "diverse".

"That Tolkien guy is an okay writer, I guess, but if I add a black main character here, and a queer main character there, I'm pretty sure it will make his work a lot better."

- Some Privileged Woke Retard Who Has Never Been Told "No"

To be fair pretty much everything in this series is going to be invented because there's barely anything but a few notes by Tolkien about that whole time-line. I think that's a deliberate move on their part, they don't want to deal with the criticism of "not staying true to the books", because there are no books.

The obvious problem with that is that they also have no dialogue, no story-telling, no established, beloved characters to rely upon. Can we really trust the average TV writer of today to come up with something good on their own? I don't think so. The best stuff has generally been borrowed from great writers, and every once in a while the TV writers have been capable of adding something of value to what already existed. But it's a whole another thing entirely to create something from scratch. I just can't see them pulling it off, regardless of who they're casting in these roles.

You know they are going to turn Middle Earth into the 1940's south, it's going to be a shitshow

Anyone watch Wheel of time? The first 7 or 8 books are pretty awesome, and it had lots of strong women, should have been a slam dunk for the current climate, but they still managed to make the show woke garabge.

Never will you find more ugly women on screen together.

Your reason for WoT being woke is that the women aren't attractive? I've only seen one episode and it just felt like a cheap teen fantasy and gave off strong maze-runner vibes that didn't entice me to watch the rest. I wasn't triggered by whatever supposed wokeness was in it

What is with society that they cant think of anything new
This is my problem with this shit. Like the new Star Wars films. One of them was literally the exact same thing as Jedi but with a female subbed for Luke and that emo dork in Vader's place. You can't just replace a character in a movie with a minority of some sort and call it your own. How about a new idea with these casting choices?

Some are defending it and others are attacking it, none of them have seen it.
Some are defending it. While i suppose if you mean by the media defending by calling critics racists.. For even mentioning what is happening with this version of LOTR? so soon to call everyone racists and phobis?

I think a majority are getting tired of that nonsense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnMicMMA
Back