Amazing Striking Matchups

auger

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Pettis v Barboza on the horizon has to be one of the more exciting matchups so far in 2016. While there have been several matchups so far that promised to deliver fireworks and didn't, I just can't see how this isn't going to be just as good as every one of their fights. Win/lose they always throw down.

What are other match up that could happen? Honestly, I would love to see McGregor v Tony Ferguson. He's definitely a dark horse coming up in 155 and I think a lot of people are overlooking him. Outside the UFC I want to see Semtex v Manhoef. Anthony Johnson v JDS and and this is a stretch at 135 but Almeida v Barao. What do you guys think?

It's probably too early to talk like this, but if a post-Aldo/RDA Conor McGregor actually took on Robbie Lawler... holy crap.

Again though, too early to take that idea seriously with a beast like RDA in the way. Not to mention potential negotiation roadblocks.

Even if it's Robbie defending against Wonderboy though, wow what a striking battle

Fight would never happen, but i always thought Silva vs Machida would have been great.

It's probably too early to talk like this, but if a post-Aldo/RDA Conor McGregor actually took on Robbie Lawler... holy crap.

Again though, too early to take that idea seriously with a beast like RDA in the way. Not to mention potential negotiation roadblocks.

Even if it's Robbie defending against Wonderboy though, wow what a striking battle

I don't even like Conor that much, but if it means seeing a guy get three consecutive title shots in three different weight classes, I'll cheer for him all the way. It could be the wildest thing to happen in MMA since Royce's run at the start.

God damn, Semtex' career has gone to waste so far

Pettis vs Diaz
Pettis vs McGregor
Condit vs Thompson
Lawler vs Thompson
MacDonald vs Condit 2

Honestly, McGregor bumping up to 170 sounds ridiculous now ONLY because Thompson seems unstoppable, has that same humble confidence as Holly Holm.

I kind of feel that the only striker that would give Thompson trouble would be Nick Diaz. Would love to see his cocky style vs sunday school thompson! just totally clash of striking style

Fight would never happen, but i always thought Silva vs Machida would have been great.
Would be a snooze fest. They're both counter-strikers who are generally moving backwards. They look great when they have an aggressor, eg a wrestler or a brawler, moving forward against them. Against a less aggressive style...not so much.

Would be a snooze fest. They're both counter-strikers who are generally moving backwards. They look great when they have an aggressor, eg a wrestler or a brawler, moving forward against them. Against a less aggressive style...not so much.
It doesn't have to be a slugfest to be great to watch.

It doesn't have to be a slugfest to be great to watch.
When did ever imply it had to be a slugfest. What I'm saying is that it's highly likely that either guy would commit to any serious offense, as they have done in previous fights where they could not lure their opponents I go chasing them down. It's entirely possible neither one of them would have a mark on them when the fight would be over.

I agree that Machida v Silva *could* be boring, but both are creative enough to throw down, and I think Machida is much more aggressive than he gets credit for. But any for a wrestler or a brawler- they always get laid against either fighter.
Silva v Jones is still compelling. You know Jones would want to out-strike Silva to add that accomplishment to his legacy

Michael Johnson vs. Rashid magomedov.

Pressure fighter vs. slick counter fighter.

I hope they book that.

Any combination of Thompson, Lawler, Condit, McGregor and Nick Diaz sound like fun striking matchups to me.

(I am 1 of 12 sherdoggers that actually enjoyed Condit/Diaz)

Honestly, McGregor bumping up to 170 sounds ridiculous now ONLY because Thompson seems unstoppable, has that same humble confidence as Holly Holm.

I kind of feel that the only striker that would give Thompson trouble would be Nick Diaz. Would love to see his cocky style vs sunday school thompson! just totally clash of striking style

You think Nick Diaz is going to beat a footwork-based, rangy counter striker?

Rofl.

Nate Diaz vs Conor McGregor
Nick Diaz vs Conor McGregor
Dominick Cruz vs Conor McGregor
Carlos Condit vs Stephen Thompson
Carlos Condit vs Matt Brown
Robbie Lawler vs Stephen Thompson
Vitor Belfort vs Gegard Mousasi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member