Amazing escape from the keyhold lock

thecas

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I saw this and am wondering whether it is a legitamite escape.

A blue belt was having top side control and putting a purple belt into the americana. What the purple belt did was to use his free hand coupled with the twisting of his head to put the arm of the blue belt around his neck instead, so the americana could not be completed.

This is getting confusing, I rewrite it:

If the blue belt was going for americana on the purple belt's left arm , the purple belt will pull the blue belt's left arm and squirm his head at the same time to the gap between the blue belt's forearm and bicep. This effectively prevent the left arm from pushing the purple belt's wrist down south towards the legs which would have completed the americana

I've seen and used this before, but don't know about what counter - counters there would be

It's not a good position, but it's better than getting tapped.

The counter is to learn the version of the keylock that only requires you using one arm to finish.

It's not a good position, but it's better than getting tapped.

The counter is to learn the version of the keylock that only requires you using one arm to finish.

Well, sure, but you have to release the arm gripping hand and switch grips - I have never seen anybody successfully transition from one to the other without having to re-secure the arm. So in that sense, it's a good counter which should allow the chance for escape.

On the other hand, top guy can sigh and relax like he's giving up, then snap the arm back around the head at the first opportunity and finish the original hold. This I have seen done.

Well, sure, but you have to release the arm gripping hand and switch grips - I have never seen anybody successfully transition from one to the other without having to re-secure the arm. So in that sense, it's a good counter which should allow the chance for escape.

On the other hand, top guy can sigh and relax like he's giving up, then snap the arm back around the head at the first opportunity and finish the original hold. This I have seen done.

I have seen that work too.

Either way, if you fail, you still have side mount, with the arm around their head. That's a pretty good position.

So the counter is to jam the guy's upper arm into a crossface on yourself?

Think I'll stick with the standard counters ...

You can go for an ezekiel choke since you would already have your arm in place underneath their head. Although that is more appropriate if they use that counter when you go for the Americana from the mount.

tbone

That move/escape does work, it stops them from being able to crank the keylock.

When talking about the one handed keylock, a move my coach taught me was from the "100 kilos" position. Thats what we call it at my gym, i think its also called scarf hold or something similar. But when you switch your keylock grip to one handed, with the hand that stays on their wrist, you should curl your wrist over the top of theirs to stop them from extending their arm. Then with your free hand underhook their head, and while keeping their trapped hand on the mat pull up their head.

Thats might be confusing if you dont know the move already...

I saw this and am wondering whether it is a legitamite escape.

A blue belt was having top side control and putting a purple belt into the americana. What the purple belt did was to use his free hand coupled with the twisting of his head to put the arm of the blue belt around his neck instead, so the americana could not be completed.

This is getting confusing, I rewrite it:

If the blue belt was going for americana on the purple belt's left arm , the purple belt will pull the blue belt's left arm and squirm his head at the same time to the gap between the blue belt's forearm and bicep. This effectively prevent the left arm from pushing the purple belt's wrist down south towards the legs which would have completed the americana

Not really amazing. You can still finish the americana from that position half of the time. If you can't finish it, then transitioning to the V-1 lock is very easy (i.e. what I suspect the others mean the "1-arm americana" is, but you still use both hands in it). A learned this transition during my first months of CSW. It is the lock 7 in Yori's version of the first Lockflow:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ox_lMMZrGPo&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ox_lMMZrGPo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Not really amazing. You can still finish the americana from that position half of the time. If you can't finish it, then transitioning to the V-1 lock is very easy (i.e. what I suspect the others mean the "1-arm americana" is, but you still use both hands in it). A learned this transition during my first months of CSW. It is the lock 7 in Yori's version of the first Lockflow:

Yes...exactly. That is a smooth transition - never seen it done quite like that before. Excellent now I have a new video to obsess over.

I tend to set up the keylock with my arm under the guys head as he has a lot less strength there. When I have it consolidated I'll bring it to the normal position for the sub.

So the counter is to jam the guy's upper arm into a crossface on yourself?

Think I'll stick with the standard counters ...

c'mon tryit, all the cool kids are crossfacing themselves these days.

that reminds me of this Amazing technique where you actually can break someones arm at the elbow with your BARE HANDS by pulling o0n his am over your hips!!!!

true story

yeah the one in that video is the one I was talking about.

Back