Almost Every Fighter Looked Tired Tonight (UFC 155)

dissolved

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
From the main event to the prelims:

JDS, Cain, Miller, Lauzon, Leben, Brunson . . . Even Guillard and Varner didn't seem to have full gas-tanks. I'm not saying it was a bad event, but it wasn't amazing, amazing . . . In part because everyone seemed a little gassed. I don't even know if the 135ers seemed as fast as they normally do. Is it an altitude thing? Is it a Vegas too much party thing? It just seemed right across the board the energy-level didn't appear "great."

Thoughts?

Tons of cards in Vegas, but yeah, you're right, there seemed to be a lot of gassing tonight especially on the main card.

I think leading with leben/brunson made everyone wary of fighters being gassed. The rest of the card was reasonable, but that fight dragged.

Yeah, was weird. Hell the crowd even seemed dead.

A lot of them could be sick? Tis the season.

I think leading with leben/brunson made everyone wary of fighters being gassed. The rest of the card was reasonable, but that fight dragged.

But I even noticed it on the FX broadcast. Varner and Guillard didn't have the snap that they normally do. Perez and his opponent didnt even seem super-quick/sharp. Same for Wineland/Pickett. Those were all decent bouts, but my general impression even before Leben/Brunson was that no one looked like they had a lot of jump. Everything was slightly sluggish - which is definitely harder to detect with the lighter weights.

You should be saying it was a bad event, because it was. The fights were pretty bad. Before the co-main event, I was saying to my friends that it was the worst card I had seen in a while.

Now that you mention it, there were a lot of gassed fighters tonight. It sucks to see a guy out there with nothing left in the tank.

Tons of cards in Vegas, but yeah, you're right, there seemed to be a lot of gassing tonight especially on the main card.

It was a combination of granite chins and constant action from the 1st round on, especially in the Lauzon/Miller, Boestch/Phillipou and Cain/JDS fights

Yeah, was weird. Hell the crowd even seemed dead.

Yeah . . . It was most apparent in the PPV. I think that was why there was more than normal booing. Not justifying the JDS boos at the end, just saying.

But I even noticed it on the FX broadcast. Varner and Guillard didn't have the snap that they normally do. Perez and his opponent didnt even seem super-quick/sharp. Same for Wineland/Pickett. Those were all decent bouts, but my general impression even before Leben/Brunson was that no one looked like they had a lot of jump. Everything was slightly sluggish - which is definitely harder to detect with the lighter weights.

I disagree on wineland/pickett, there was a lot of movement/footwork from both guys and they engaged all fight. I also think its tough to say that perez looked sluggish in the short time we saw him. I thought the FX broadcast was about what I expected, and it was only once Leben/Brunson slowed to a crawl that I started to fear a repeat of that terrible Lombard/Boetsch card where I dont even remember who main evented.

ey give a break son, its the holidays. Cain had a little too much tamales and J-lau basically fought twice against the Tooth. Melvin gassed himself with a super-speed movement during the fight. JDS got his jaw nearly fall into pieces. It happens!!

Yeah . . . It was most apparent in the PPV. I think that was why there was more than normal booing. Not justifying the JDS boos at the end, just saying.

You could tell the fans were going to be BOO happy during the first Facebook fight. Boos with mostly empty stands.

The card wasn't terrible. Lauzon v. Miller, Wineland v. Pickett, Guillard v. Varner and JDS v. Cain were all good fights.

Not a great card. Lauzon/Miller really saved it from being a complete flop.

You should be saying it was a bad event, because it was. The fights were pretty bad. Before the co-main event, I was saying to my friends that it was the worst card I had seen in a while.

Now that you mention it, there were a lot of gassed fighters tonight. It sucks to see a guy out there with nothing left in the tank.

So weird. I was so pumped for this card and really the only two fights that lived up to my expectations were Miller/Lauzon and to a much lesser extent Wineland/Pickett.

Just goes to show once again that you can't judge a card until it's over. On paper, this card was phenomenal, it just didn't go down that way.

I honestly didnt have very high expectations to begin with . . . The matchmaking all spelled possible snoozers. So I didn't mind it overall, particularly the last two bouts which I thought were pretty good. But 3 minutes into the main event and I thought both JDS and Cain were seeing stars, feeling like they wished the fight was over.

Leben's never really had great cardio and Brunson took the fight on a couple weeks notice, and Miller, Lauzon, Cain and Velasquez were all fighting the entirety of all of their fights at a very fast pace, so it's clear they'd end up getting tired.

And since when have Guillard and Varner been known for their cardio? Maybe Varner a few years ago, I don't know, but has Guillard ever had great cardio?

wrong time of year to have a fight card - between xmas and new year, a month earlier or later and the ppv would have better imo.

yeah no shit, fighting is hard in case you didnt know?

I disagree on wineland/pickett, there was a lot of movement/footwork from both guys and they engaged all fight. I also think its tough to say that perez looked sluggish in the short time we saw him. I thought the FX broadcast was about what I expected, and it was only once Leben/Brunson slowed to a crawl that I started to fear a repeat of that terrible Lombard/Boetsch card where I dont even remember who main evented.

I was at UFC 149. It was awful.

Back