All sports evolve and make changes. Should the UFC?

mmmjojo

Tapped in 1.3 secs
@Brown
Reaction score
Every major sport has always made changes, for better or worse, to fix problems or boost excitement. The NBA didn't allow dunking once or have a 3pt line. College football has been having playoffs for the national title the past few seasons. Boxing title fights went from 15 rds to 12. The list goes on and on. The point is things can and will always change. I think the UFC needs try some changes. Here's what I'd like to see:

1. Weight classes- I think they need a readjustment. There's too much of a gap between LW to WW and WW to MW. They either need to go 125 to 205 or 130 to 210 in 10 lb increments. WMMA could stay as is. There are just too many good fighters struggling to make weight or too small for their divisions. Now a lot of people will the raise the issue of too many belts or not enough talent. That brings me to my next point.

2. Acquire Bellator- This would help with filling out the new weight classes and the oversaturation of events. I know Viacom likes MMA programming and may not want to depart with their MMA org, which leads to:

3. Multiple TV deals- MLB, the NFL, the NBA all have deals with multiple networks. Why can't the UFC? Maybe in trying to acquire Bellator, they can strike a tv deal with Viacom also to put UFC programming on Paramount or wherever.

4. Rule changes- I know there's different opinions out there on this and I respect that. But here some I'd like to see. First, no elbows on the ground. This could boost the excitement of the ground game. It may allow for more sub attempts as fighters have to reach a back a little further to strike giving the guy in the bottom a chance to throw up his legs or create a scramble. Next, something simple like possible 5 rd co-main events, depending on the fighters or stakes involved. Lastly, maybe a shot clock type rule for the ground game. Maybe give the fight 60 to 90 secs for something to happen on the ground before standing them back up.

Constructive feedback is greatly appreciated.

I hope anyone who wants more weight classes goes away for good. Same with people who want more rules not less. I actually hope you stop watching mma.

Cancer. It is like these people want more shit fights more weak divisions and do not understand what ULTIMATE FIGHTING IS ABOUT. We need less rules and fixed judging and something to address extreme weight cutting. Like weighing fighters randomly 1 month out and up to. Dehydration test etc. Do it like USADA does. Do not allow someone to fight who weighs 25 or 30lbs more than the limit of their division even if it is 1 month out of the fight. Limit weight cutting to 15lbs to 20lbs max. Allow an allowing over 10lbs that during camp. You fight at WW? Okay cannot weigh more than 185lbs fight night and cannot weigh more than 195lbs during camp and outside. Weigh 200lbs or more when not training as a WW should be not allowed.

We need something to address eye pokes and need 12-6 elbows, knees to head and upkicks maybe even PRIDE type judging/scoring and possible yellow card system.

Last edited:
It has been evolving and will continue to evolve.

They need a true point ranking system that leads to a title shot. One that gives you points for wins and possibly extra points for finishes. This will encourage fighters to fight more and go for more finishes to rack up points and climb the ladder. There has to be a clear road to a title shot and not hand picked by the owners.

Only weight class which has the talent to be added is 165 & 175, 195 & 225 is stupid, 185, 205 & hw is already too thin.

ufc go broke getting multiple tv deals if they could

Ultimate Cawkfighting isn't a sport

Every major sport has always made changes, for better or worse, to fix problems or boost excitement. The NBA didn't allow dunking once or have a 3pt line. College football has been having playoffs for the national title the past few seasons. Boxing title fights went from 15 rds to 12. The list goes on and on. The point is things can and will always change. I think the UFC needs try some changes. Here's what I'd like to see:

1. Weight classes- I think they need a readjustment. There's too much of a gap between LW to WW and WW to MW. They either need to go 125 to 205 or 130 to 210 in 10 lb increments. WMMA could stay as is. There are just too many good fighters struggling to make weight or too small for their divisions. Now a lot of people will the raise the issue of too many belts or not enough talent. That brings me to my next point.

2. Acquire Bellator- This would help with filling out the new weight classes and the oversaturation of events. I know Viacom likes MMA programming and may not want to depart with their MMA org, which leads to:

3. Multiple TV deals- MLB, the NFL, the NBA all have deals with multiple networks. Why can't the UFC? Maybe in trying to acquire Bellator, they can strike a tv deal with Viacom also to put UFC programming on Paramount or wherever.

4. Rule changes- I know there's different opinions out there on this and I respect that. But here some I'd like to see. First, no elbows on the ground. This could boost the excitement of the ground game. It may allow for more sub attempts as fighters have to reach a back a little further to strike giving the guy in the bottom a chance to throw up his legs or create a scramble. Next, something simple like possible 5 rd co-main events, depending on the fighters or stakes involved. Lastly, maybe a shot clock type rule for the ground game. Maybe give the fight 60 to 90 secs for something to happen on the ground before standing them back up.

Constructive feedback is greatly appreciated.
none of this is good. I would make the sport more boring.

I hope anyone who wants more weight classes goes away for good. Same with people who want more rules not less. I actually hope you stop watching mma.

Cancer. It is like these people want more shit fights more weak divisions and do not understand what ULTIMATE FIGHTING IS ABOUT.

We need less rules and fixed judging and something to address extreme weight cutting. Like weighing fighters randomly 1 month out and up to. Dehydration test etc. Do it like USADA does. Do not allow someone to fight who weighs 30lbs more than the limit of their division even if it is 1 month out of the fight.

We need something to address eye pokes and need 12-6 elbows, knees to head and upkicks.

This 100%. I want you as my new BFF!

4) I like the elbows for the simple reason some fighters cant posture up effectively in guard and the elbow is a game changer. 12-6 should also be gone. Also knee, stomps, kicks to the head on the ground should be fair play.

5) less rounds and longer rounds. not a fan of breaking the action. Or, fighter cant be saved by the bell might work.

6) 25' cage

they should make stages in which the fighter fight on.. one like the Reptile stage in MK where both fighters fight on a narrow bridge above Water ..

FINISH HIM!!!!

Only weight class which has the talent to be added is 165 & 175, 195 & 225 is stupid, 185, 205 & hw is already too thin.

This is why I'd prefer 130, 140, 150, 160, 170, 180, 190, and 210. 190 and 210 would virtually retain the same talent. The remaining weight classes could easily meshed with guys who are too big or too small for the divisions they're in now. Examples: Guys like Nate Diaz and Masvidal could compete at 160. A 150 could benefit a guy like Holloway in the long run. You don't want him to get to a point where he's to big for 145 and becomes mediocre at LW because he's not strong enough to compete against guys cutting 35-45 lbs to make 155.

Just allow knees/kicks to the ground like Pride. With the new rules now there's always a big confusion when someone gets ko'd that way.

They need a true point ranking system that leads to a title shot. One that gives you points for wins and possibly extra points for finishes. This will encourage fighters to fight more and go for more finishes to rack up points and climb the ladder. There has to be a clear road to a title shot and not hand picked by the owners.
One can dream....

4) I like the elbows for the simple reason some fighters cant posture up effectively in guard and the elbow is a game changer. 12-6 should also be gone. Also knee, stomps, kicks to the head on the ground should be fair play.

This where it becomes give/take. For the ones who can't posture up well, it opens the door for subs from the bottom, which I happen to miss btw.

Back