All-Ireland Hurling Final 2018 - Limerick winners for the first time in 45 years!

^^^ For the above, Joe Quaid was a goalkeeper who got one of his testicles exploded when he was struck with a sliotar...

Limerick are really sticking it to Galway now...phenomenal performance from them considering they are a young side, with all the pressure of history on them, you wouldn't think Galway were defending champions... but it could get embarrassing for them if they dont get a goal soon. Where is Canning like? He's been very quiet today and Galway will need him to step up.

Congratulations to Limerick!As it has been said many times already today...."it was a long time coming".45 years is a long wait but after getting into Galway early then holding on late it was well deserved.Well done lads!

I visited Ireland in 2008, and my ancestors are from Ireland. My great-great-great-grandfather immigrated to Canada from Ireland in 1822. While I was over there I mentioned the fact that he was from Kilkenny to several locals. The usual response I got was “hmph, they’re good at hurling”

<mma4>

I visited Ireland in 2008, and my ancestors are from Ireland. My great-great-great-grandfather immigrated to Canada from Ireland in 1822. While I was over there I mentioned the fact that he was from Kilkenny to several locals. The usual response I got was “hmph, they’re good at hurling”

<mma4>

Yes Kilkenny are historically one of the best teams, they have also dominated the last decade or so of the championship...until 2016 anyway.

My dad's from Cork. He hurled out here til I was maybe 5 or 6 with the harry bolands.

I can never understood why they have both Hurling and Gaelic Football played in the same season as it means completion for both players and fans ?.
Wouldn't it be better if they moved Gaelic Football as a autumn/winter season and Hurling being the spring/summer game.

I can never understood why they have both Hurling and Gaelic Football played in the same season as it means completion for both players and fans ?.
Wouldn't it be better if they moved Gaelic Football as a autumn/winter season and Hurling being the spring/summer game.

Well, not really. I mean first thing is this just because that's the way it's always been done. But two-sport players are relatively rare, maybe because they are played at the same time, but players usually gravitate towards one or the other. The finals are never held on the same weekends though, so there is no competition for fans...and their are only a few counties that are good enough at both anyway...

But if you've ever seen gaelic football in the pre-season in January then that is the reason it's a summer game. It's just much quicker, much more fluid and a much better spectacle in spring and summer vs. on muddy pitches in the depths of winter.

Well, not really. I mean first thing is this just because that's the way it's always been done. But two-sport players are relatively rare, maybe because they are played at the same time, but players usually gravitate towards one or the other. The finals are never held on the same weekends though, so there is no competition for fans...and their are only a few counties that are good enough at both anyway...

But if you've ever seen gaelic football in the pre-season in January then that is the reason it's a summer game. It's just much quicker, much more fluid and a much better spectacle in spring and summer vs. on muddy pitches in the depths of winter.
Another thing I can never get my head around is having the major league/teams play at the same time as junior/lower level clubs as Rugby Union used to that as my local club would have kick off at 3 and the high level club would be kicking at the same time and you would also miss out on the old 5 Nations unless you had a video recorder or watch high lights on Rugby Special on a Sunday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back