All gatekeeper carfd---UFC ##- Defending the gates of doom

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Id get hyped for this card...even though the fighters have reached their potential and none seem to be going anywhere in the instant future

unless they get the Matt Brown juice

Main - Bader vs Shogun or Bader vs Hendo
CoMain - Ellenberger vs Maia
Bisbing vs Munoz or Phillipou
Nelson vs Barnett or Big Nog vs Mir
Cerrone vs Maynard
Guida vs Siver

not a bad card tbh.. throw on MM defending his belt or another decent title fight and its a great card

I like Big Nog as much as the next man. But we gotta let these Frank Mir losses go.

Id get hyped for this card...even though the fighters have reached their potential and none seem to be going anywhere in the instant future

unless they get the Matt Brown juice

Main - Bader vs Shogun or Bader vs Hendo
CoMain - Ellenberger vs Maia
Bisbing vs Munoz or Phillipou
Nelson vs Barnett or Big Nog vs Mir
Cerrone vs Maynard
Guida vs Siver
Cowboy is unfairly put on that card

not a bad card tbh.. throw on MM defending his belt or another decent title fight and its a great card

Wouldn't be a Gatekeeper Card if it had a title fight, would it?

Cowboy is unfairly put on that card

I'd say losing non-controversially to RDA pretty much showed his ceiling. It's not like his fights with Pettis or Diaz were close or anything. I love Cerrone, but he's clearly not elite. I would say he's low/fringe top 10 and probably will be for a while. Really pissed the Cerrone/Miller card is on a Wednesday...I teach summer school Mon-Thurs and can't go :(

That would be way better than the vast majority of recent cards. None of them have relevant fights by the 5th or 6th one down.

Weird concept.

I'd rather see them go with UFC 185: All Middleweights Card
All 185ers for UFC 185 (end of next year? projections):

• Vitor vs Mousasi (Title Fight)
  • Weidman vs Jacare
  • Anderson vs Rockhold
  • Machida vs Yoel
  • Shogun vs Uriah Hall

Weird concept.

I'd rather see them go with UFC 185: All Middleweights Card
All 185ers for UFC 185 (end of next year? projections):

• Vitor vs Mousasi (Title Fight)
  • Weidman vs Jacare
  • Anderson vs Rockhold
  • Machida vs Yoel
  • Shogun vs Uriah Hall

It's not a bad idea for keeping divisions moving and having everyone fresh at the same time for injury replacements.

An all gatekeeper card without Faber or JDS?

I am disappoint.
Uh, those aren't Gatekeepers.

All Contenders Card...

• Urijah vs Cruz III (Title Eliminator bout)
  • Cigano vs Browne (Title Eliminator bout)
  • Mousasi vs Rockhold (Title Eliminator bout)
  • Khabib vs Benson (Title Eliminator bout)
  • Woodley vs Lombard (Title Eliminator bout)

It's not a bad idea for keeping divisions moving and having everyone fresh at the same time for injury replacements.

Yeah, it would be kinda gimmicky, but so what.
I first thought it up for UFC 155... would have been cool to see all Lightweights, all 155ers for UFC 155.

Uh, those aren't Gatekeepers.

Faber loses every time he gets close to sniffing gold but destroys every non-title fighter --- isn't that the role of a gatekeeper?

Faber also won't be fighting for the gold as long as Cruz, Dillashaw, or Barao hold the belt (I'll believe Faber vs Dillashaw when I see it).

JDS already lost to Velasquez twice in a row. I doubt they're going to have a 4th bout between the two.

In the mean time, JDS will wreck every person's title aspirations that he faces (kind of like a, uh, what are those things called again? A gatekeeper? Yeah, gatekeeper).

How do you define "gatekeeper" since apparently we're not on the same frequency?

Contenders do NOT = Gatekeepers

Or better put...
Gatekeepers do NOT = Contenders

Faber loses every time he gets close to sniffing gold but destroys every non-title fighter --- isn't that the role of a gatekeeper?

Faber also won't be fighting for the gold as long as Cruz, Dillashaw, or Barao hold the belt (I'll believe Faber vs Dillashaw when I see it).

JDS already lost to Velasquez twice in a row. I doubt they're going to have a 4th bout between the two.

In the mean time, JDS will wreck every person's title aspirations that he faces (kind of like a, uh, what are those things called again? A gatekeeper? Yeah, gatekeeper).

How do you define "gatekeeper" since apparently we're not on the same frequency?

Fringe top 10. JDS vs Cain could happen again, especially if the UFC has JDS and Miocic fight each other. Eliminating another solid contender.

Same with Faber, if he keeps beating top 5 guys he's gonna keep getting them title shots.

These guys are just in the weirdest position, which they'll keep until they lose.

Gatekeepers don't get Title Fights again and again (or even Title Eliminator bouts).
Gatekeepers lose to the guys who get Title Fights.

You beat a Gatekeeper(s) :: You become a Contender (generally speaking)

P.S. Though a gatekeeper may find himself in a Title Eliminator fight once or maybe twice in his career under unique circumstances. But those would be the expections.

the sad thing is even without title contention this would be a more interesting main card than some of the more recent ones.

Back