• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Alexander Volkov Submits Tai Tuivasa GIFS

Was this the first Ezequiel from the mount in the UFC?

Of course, it should receive a bonus.

Tuivasa needs a step down in competition now for 2-3 fights, he's a likeable guy and not terrible but he shouldn't be in there with top 10 guys for a while. And fucks sake, buy some shorts that fucking fit lad - it's an awful look when he's constantly pulling his shorts up to stop his arse from falling out.

Tuivasa vs. the likes of Parker Porter, Dontale Mayes etc for a few fights.

@Clementine you said on the playbyplay that Tuivasa's new hair was a bit scruffy, and reminded you of Earthquake Evans. All in all he is a sloppy mess, not a high level fighter to be fair. He has no set ups for anything, just throws as hard as he can. Funny guy but not a lot of skill
<{1-8}>

Very nice finish for Volkov, primarily known as a striker, 37 wins, 24 by KO/TKO, 4 by submission, 9 by decision. Last time he got a submission was in 2016 in M-1 before he joined the UFC with a triangle choke. Then out of nowhere he wins via Ezekiel choke which he goes on to say in the post-fight interview was taught to him by Aleksei Oleinik many years ago.

If I'm not mistaken it's only the third ezekiel choke in the UFC, with the first two being both by Oleinik.

Very nice finish for Volkov, primarily known as a striker, 37 wins, 24 by KO/TKO, 4 by submission, 9 by decision. Last time he got a submission was in 2016 in M-1 before he joined the UFC with a triangle choke. Then out of nowhere he wins via Ezekiel choke which he goes on to say in the post-fight interview was taught to him by Aleksei Oleinik many years ago.

If I'm not mistaken it's only the third ezekiel choke in the UFC, with the first two being both by Oleinik.
I posted the article above (linking it again below) - yes, Oleinik has the other 2 officially recognized Ezekiel chokes in UFC but apparently there's some debate as to whether Remco Pardoel tapped a dude in UFC 2 with it:

https://speak-mma.com/blog/what-is-an-ezekiel-choke-the-only-ones-in-ufc-history/

Video for reference:

I posted the article above (linking it again below) - yes, Oleinik has the other 2 officially recognized Ezekiel chokes in UFC but apparently there's some debate as to whether Remco Pardoel tapped a dude in UFC 2 with it:

https://speak-mma.com/blog/what-is-an-ezekiel-choke-the-only-ones-in-ufc-history/

Video for reference:

Great bit of MMA history there. I am not a grappling expert but could this also possibly be a lapel choke? I feel like I saw this many years ago and thought at the time it was a lapel choke. You obviously don't see lapel chokes anymore in the UFC since nobody wears a gi anymore.

Great bit of MMA history there. I am not a grappling expert but could this also possibly be a lapel choke? I feel like I saw this many years ago and thought at the time it was a lapel choke. You obviously don't see lapel chokes anymore in the UFC since nobody wears a gi anymore.
I am not a grappling expert either, and it doesn't help that the quality of the video is "filmed using a potato instead of a camera". I wonder if Big John McCarthy would be able to tell definitively (since he reffed it and he is a legit BJJ dude, having trained for years with Gracies)

Video for reference:

It's basically an Ezekiel, instead of just driving the hand through he has the cross collar grip.

And not UFC but remember Yoshida choked out Royce with an Ezekiel (Royce went limp Gracie Fanboys)

Is the left arm/fist what's under the neck?

I'm more used to seeing it done from the submitter on the bottom, a la Oleinik.

It is an Ezekiel Choke...but different to the way that Olyenik does it. Olyenik uses his fist to put pressure on the trachea, like punching it...in this case Volkov did it similar to the way that is done with the Gi, the forearn pressing on the trachea. I have a feeling that he did it this way because he has really long arms and could do it that way

Back