News Alexander Volkanovski vs. Max Holloway 2 expected to headline UFC 251

Who wins the rematch?

• Alexander Volkanovski

• Max Holloway

Results are only viewable after voting.
This could be very bad. He could break it mid camp fairly easily. Removing your ability to box in a rematch against one of the best boxers in MMA who's gonna be checking leg kicks a lot is gonna be awful for him. Hope it doesn't happen.

He did an interview two days ago saying the recovery might take longer than planned because they found ligament damage as well, but he does seem to read want to fight on the Australia card. Hopefully all goes well

He did an interview two days ago saying the recovery might take longer than planned because they found ligament damage as well, but he does seem to read want to fight on the Australia card. Hopefully all goes well
I completely broke and tore everything in my wrist sparring in October. It just healed fully last week. His might be worse. If this news is true I think volk might have a much harder time over 5 rounds.

He looked good and landed some big shots while quickly bolting into range but I think if Max made the adjustments and proper footwork to keep Volk in his range it would've been his fight to lose.
If Volk could've wrestled more I think he would've showed it in the 4th and 5th rounds when the tides turned a bit.

But footwork isn't some simple adjustment and Volk showed he was the more complete striker last time out. It's a close fight but I think Volk has the tools to keep Max at range if he really only tries to box again.

Max has a weird aura that is a bit undeserved IMO. His best win was over Aldo the first time and people forget Aldo was laying a beating into him for those first 2 rounds. Maybe quick compact guys with cardio will be his kryptonite

Out of curiosity, you think max will have an easy time checking leg kicks? His stance is horrible for checking leg kicks and volkanovski was setting them up very well with hand fighting, feints and punches. If he alters his stance to more easily check kicks, he'll be more straight up and it will affect his range and his defense, both In striking and grappling.

Leg kicks isn't a new problem for max--it's been evident for many years now, yet he's never addressed it. Maybe he will now considering it was a large part of his downfall, but he's going to have some big changes to make.

Out of curiosity, you think max will have an easy time checking leg kicks? His stance is horrible for checking leg kicks and volkanovski was setting them up very well with hand fighting, feints and punches. If he alters his stance to more easily check kicks, he'll be more straight up and it will affect his range and his defense, both In striking and grappling.

Leg kicks isn't a new problem for max--it's been evident for many years now. He's going to have some big changes to make.
Heavy body work and going first can help with this I feel. Timing counters can help a lot aswell but we will have to see. Also going southpaw for a large portion max felt was pretty bad for the fight. I expect Max is gonna start fast this time and really put the pressure. Rather waiting to drown him like he did with Aldo and Ortega.

Really don't care about this fight or a repeat of it

Heavy body work and going first can help with this I feel. Timing counters can help a lot aswell but we will have to see. Also going southpaw for a large portion max felt was pretty bad for the fight. I expect Max is gonna start fast this time and really put the pressure. Rather waiting to drown him like he did with Aldo and Ortega.

I agree. That's his best bet. The thing is that the adjustments that max needs to make seem pretty obvious. Volkanovski's coach did an interview with Luke Thomas and he was very aware of what max did well and what would need to change in a rematch. What is harder to predict is what adjustments volkanovski has in his back pocket. I think volkanovski just has too many tools to be honest, but max is great and he can definitely find a way to win.

I agree. That's his best bet. The thing is that the adjustments that max needs to make seem pretty obvious. Volkanovski's coach did an interview with Luke Thomas and he was very aware of what max did well and what would need to change in a rematch. What is harder to predict is what adjustments volkanovski has in his back pocket. I think volkanovski just has too many tools to be honest, but max is great and he can definitely find a way to win.
If volk just goes in with the leg kick plan again I believe he will lose. Max round 4 found Volk's hand fighting and fainting ala DC left him wide open to body shots and started lighting him up there. If Volk does the same thing last time he's just gonna get wore down faster and could honestly get stopped. Body shots from a much taller fighter are nasty and add up way worse than leg kicks.
I am not even close to the level of mind city kickboxing/Volks personal coach but if I am them I think they should wrestle even if its risker than the leg kicks. Get down Max or hold him in some way so he can't get off the shots he needs to early.

So is Volkanovski going to be the new GOAT according to Joe when he beats Max twice?
No but I tell you what if he does beat Max for a second time his last four fights will be one helluva impressive streak against the best UFC FWs in history- Mendes, Aldo, Max*2, only Conor's really missing from set, and maybe Edgar.

If volk just goes in with the leg kick plan again I believe he will lose. Max round 4 found Volk's hand fighting and fainting ala DC left him wide open to body shots and started lighting him up there. If Volk does the same thing last time he's just gonna get wore down faster and could honestly get stopped. Body shots from a much taller fighter are nasty and add up way worse than leg kicks.
I am not even close to the level of mind city kickboxing/Volks personal coach but if I am them I think they should wrestle even if its risker than the leg kicks. Get down Max or hold him in some way so he can't get off the shots he needs to early.

I only gave max round 5 to be honest. I guess we'll have to see how the rematch plays out. I struggle to see a fight where max can just land consistently on volks body without taking something big in return though.

I'm honestly still hoping this insant rematch doesn't happen though. Max vs KZ or zabit seems like the much more entertaining fight to me.

I only gave max round 5 to be honest. I guess we'll have to see how the rematch plays out. I struggle to see a fight where max can just land consistently on volks body without taking something big in return though.

I'm honestly still hoping this insant rematch doesn't happen though. Max vs KZ or zabit seems like the much more entertaining fight to me.
I gave him rounds 4 and 5 personally but round 4 was close. Volk started to lose pocket exchanges a lot when Max was going in and out. Nothing was landing clean when Volk had to go forward atleast in the later rounds.
I also wished for Volk vs Zombie but Zombie hurt his eye and Max is 100% worth a instant rematch.

Didn't you said Max was going to beak Volk the first time? He's not getting shit back.
tenor.gif

I gave him rounds 4 and 5 personally but round 4 was close. Volk started to lose pocket exchanges a lot when Max was going in and out. Nothing was landing clean when Volk had to go forward atleast in the later rounds.
I also wished for Volk vs Zombie but Zombie hurt his eye and Max is 100% worth a instant rematch.

Not using this as a rebuttal or anything, but can you think of any other instant rematches for uncontroversial 5 round decisions?

Max deserves it more than a lot of other guys for sure. I'm just tired of rematches, especially with the weird title fights that have been booked this year.

Not using this as a rebuttal or anything, but can you think of any other instant rematches for uncontroversial 5 round decisions?

Max deserves it more than a lot of other guys for sure. I'm just tired of rematches, especially with the weird title fights that have been booked this year.
Well Weidman was going to get one against Rockhold after getting the shit kicked out of him. I feel you for the rematches though but I love Max and the dude really is the second-best ever in a division which is only second to Lightweight in terms of competitiveness.

Not interested in this fight at all

This rematch is meh to the next level.

Reminds me of a Frankie Edgar rematch..the results can go either way and I'm not all that intrigued

Leg kicks isn't a new problem for max--it's been evident for many years now, yet he's never addressed it. Maybe he will now considering it was a large part of his downfall, but he's going to have some big changes to make.
He used to mix things up way better and utilize his entire arsenal far better keeping his opponents on their toes. He's fallen a bit too in love with his hands and Volk capitalized on it IMO

He used to mix things up way better and utilize his entire arsenal far better keeping his opponents on their toes. He's fallen a bit too in love with his hands and Volk capitalized on it IMO

He's never really kicked much against guys with the grappling threat though.

He's never really kicked much against guys with the grappling threat though.
He used plenty of elbows and less stationary footwork against Swanson and Stephans. Not saying it's an easy adjustment or guaranteed win but it would certainly be a step in the right direction.

Back