• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Alex Pereira sparring HW boxer Demsey McKean

Demsey McKean on sparring Poatan:

View attachment 1049475

Swipe for more:

Crafty is an understatement.

I watched bits of his instructional. I’ve seen classes of Freddy roach and Roger Mayweather and Rphael Cordero… but never anything like this…. the deep details and innovative uniqueness was crazy. It was like an Oxford seminar compared to the lil instructionals Lyoto, GSP, and Silva sold for example.

Pereira's counters are just so good and practical. It's very high level stuff.. But it does require him to be harms way. That's what I love about striking. He's a very sophisticated counter striker but he puts himself at risk because he has a lot of confidence in his skills, preparation and power.

I've been watching his pad work with his trainer and his striking coach doesn't get any love but his pad work is one of the most high level stuff as I've seen as far as working on counters that are practical to throw.

His slip counters are a thing of beauty.

Pereira smashing pads with his muay-thai mitt-holder is damn thing of beauty

Sparring w/leathers, Idc the size, still cause cuts

Alex is just a wild man I understand and extremely experienced but its awful close to a big fight to make those risks
meh. i've been sparring 5-6 days a week for most of the last 2 years and i've yet to get cut and i've yet to cut anybody else. everyone's gloves are leather

Alex is almost as big as the other guy in the video, crazy stuff. Can Jiri wrestle, I need to re watch his old fights?

Was Alex winning? Hard to tell, looked like he was struggling to get in there. I mean he's boxing a 6'6 pro boxer who only lost 1 fight, so props to him hanging in there. I think if he gives up on LHW, fills out HW he'd of done better in the sparring.

meh. i've been sparring 5-6 days a week for most of the last 2 years and i've yet to get cut and i've yet to cut anybody else. everyone's gloves are leather
I think this is too much. Unless you're going out of your way to be light and technical. Stay healthy.

Alex is almost as big as the other guy in the video, crazy stuff. Can Jiri wrestle, I need to re watch his old fights?

He has very good guard work and getups and even top control. He got incredibly close of breaking Nemkov’s arm with an armbar he got from guard. I think hes very decent, and has survived very deep submissions before.

I think this is too much. Unless you're going out of your way to be light and technical. Stay healthy.
Yeah its all light technical muay thai sparring and technical mma sparring with no shin pads 2-3 days/week. I have trusted and skilled sparring partners that I will mix in hard rounds with but it will end up being 1-3 of the 10 daily rounds of sparring (20 on Thursdays). Once my hand is healed up I'm going to start going to boxing sparring which is all hard sparring 2x/week.

My gym has this and last years state heavyweight golden gloves champ and we have the local ammy mma hw champ who has crazy good boxing and hand speed for his size. I haven't sparred with the former yet but the latter I've gone more rounds with than any other human. I have a buffet of top striking talent to train with its great

meh, I’ve been sparring for like the last 19yrs and can tell you faces are built differently

I’ve given and been given cuts and broken noses sparring with 16oz’ers

Im also old-school and came up wearing a headpiece training and always wear one. It doesn’t hinder my sight or guard like a lot of guys typically complain about

I fought competitively kickboxing for 5yrs before fighting mma for the next 7-8yrs

Im also old-school and came up wearing a headpiece training and always wear one. It doesn’t hinder my sight or guard like a lot of guys typically complain about
What kind of headgear do you use?
Mine’s from Venum, but I think there’re better ones

What kind of headgear do you use?
Mine’s from Venum, but I think there’re better ones

I like the Ringside (USA boxing approved) ones or the ones from Title Boxing. Suede on the inside so it grips better cause headgear does suck when its sliding around

I also prefer the style with cheek protectors, they protect the nose from taking damage while eating hard straight shots. The ones w/o leave your nose wide-open for jabs/straights

I don’t spar without it unless we are drilling or absolutely going for technical spar. I have found on regular spars the intensity can ramp up quick by just throwing shots that require more speed to reach the targets. Speed will make the shots more powerful sometimes unintentionally

Back