Media Alex Pereira currently weights 232 pounds

I wish I could look that lean prior to cutting 20% of my body weight.

He makes weight every time at the middleweight limit so good for him, but damn, that must be an absolutely miserable training camp to get into water cut range of 185.

We're 13 weeks from fight week. assuming he water manipulation cuts 20 pounds the final 10 days, he's gonna have to diet/train away over 2 pounds a week between now and then.

Isnt it California that wanted to stop that?

I agree with the ONE FC system to eliminate weight cutting. Only I say raise the LHW cap from 225lbs to 235lbs and the HW 265lb cap to 305lbs

But I dont have an issue if a fighter chooses to get super fat off season. He cant cut 45lbs of water weight he would die. He can maybe do 28lbs max.

Are middleweights ducking LHWs by fighting middleweights? What kind of question is this.

It's really bizarre how people do not understand weight cutting. Are LHW's ducking HW's? Are LW's ducking WWs? It's a little ridiculous lol.

The weight class you fight at is the weight class you are. The whole "weight class bully" is probably the most ridiculous argument in MMA.
I meant as in when they are clearly going the extra mile. Im not hating on him, if a fighter makes weight consistently then its all fair game, in the end im an advocate of fight night weigh-ins and everything else does not matter much, there is no data for Pereira, the photos he posts make it sound like he is huge for the division, but as long as he doesnt miss weight then im ok, dont read too much into the "ducking LHW" thing, im just wondering if on a regular day he is as big as Jones, fit, not Paddy-weight.

Weight classes as currently are, with all this buffoonery called weight cutting, are the dumbest, most misleading, ridiculous illusions in all sports. About as genuine as a supposed 5’10 woman measured with 5 inch heels on.

People like this guy, Costa, Vettori, etc... are below 200 pounds for 2 hours of the year, that’s if they fight twice a year. They have nothing to do with 185 pounds, hell, they wouldn’t make the LHW limit on fight day. It’s a sham. Speaks volumes about the sport that fighters fight 30 pounds over the weight limit of their category on fight day and it’s legal and fair.

I don't get the people who hate on fighters who don't miss weight for being big. Do you guys know his opponents are smaller? If his opponents are smaller is it a Cardio advantage like Colby not cutting a lot?

Isnt it California that wanted to stop that?

I agree with the ONE FC system to eliminate weight cutting. Only I say raise the LHW cap from 225lbs to 235lbs and the HW 265lb cap to 305lbs

But I dont have an issue if a fighter chooses to get super fat off season. He cant cut 45lbs of water weight he would die. He can maybe do 28lbs max.
California allows up to 15% rehydration/cut, and offenders are not automatically banned from the division afaik and its not followed by other AC's so not that much progress on that, on 2019 they approved a new rule to cancel those fights instead of going after the fighter, this could be a problem but im not sure if any fight has been canceled because of this.

Weight classes as currently are, with all this buffoonery called weight cutting, are the dumbest, most misleading, ridiculous illusions in all sports. About as genuine as a supposed 5’10 woman measured with 5 inch heels on.

People like this guy, Costa, Vettori, etc... are below 200 pounds for 2 hours of the year, that’s if they fight twice a year. They have nothing to do with 185 pounds, hell, they wouldn’t make the LHW limit on fight day. It’s a sham. Speaks volumes about the sport that fighters fight 30 pounds over the weight limit of their category on fight day and it’s legal and fair.

Yeah it is a joke. We arent in the golden age of MMA for this very reason

They addressed the steroids but havent addressed the weight cutting elephant or garbage rules we have

Lol I thought it was Paulo Costa

And people were goofing around mixing up the names

Probably challenges for the lhw belt if he dusts izzy, for a champion vs champion deal.

Pereira at LHW and improved TDD is a scary thought. Not drained, and better developed, can’t see him not doing very well and challenging for the belt there.

Training with Glover probably gives Alex a decent idea of his chances at LHW. If he beats Izzy most likely I'm guessing they'll make an immediate rematch.

Damn.

Rumour has it Paddy gets up to 300+ lbs before a fight.

57155283-0-image-a-68_1651144686287.jpg

Yes. I was joking about the 300 lbs.
Ya could’ve at least posted the right picture.
hgsn2ihxffz81.jpg

I could see him KOing Jiri with his power and Jiris shit defence, if he doesn't beat Izzy and Glover retires he will surely go up to LHW and do very well there.

Agreed. One of the reasons it's harder to care about the lower weight divisions in modern UFC, it's more like weight cutting championship.

His size advantage is the only thing helping his TDD, he needs to cut the most weight at all costs. I think if he wasn't so big and just had his kickboxing skills he would've been outwrestled easier and never made a title shot.

So if he was shorter and smaller and weaker he wouldn’t be as good?

I always thought if lebron wasn’t so big strong , tall and athletic and he couldn’t run like a deer he wouldn’t be as good at basketball and wouldn’t be able to drive and dunk and would get bullied and he would be exposed if you could theoretically take away all of his god given attributes and lifelong dedication

Back