alcohol and acl surgery

seiko

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the place to post this but here goes my question.

I had acl reconstruction about 3 weeks back. I'm pretty much fine now, no more limp and other surgery involved shit, and I have full range of motion back. I'd like to know if any of you have experience on consuming alcohol after having acl surgery.

A friend tells me that his knee swelled up after drinking alcohol the night of his injury day. But, common sense tells me that it isn't right to conclude that alcohol = swelling because it might just as well have been the accident, and his case was very different from me.

I tried calling up my doc, but he was out of the country.

Any of you know if alcohol does something to promote swelling after surgery? Maybe similar experiences?

thanks

Edit: PS: I stopped taking meds and antibiotics last week.

Drink a bottle of whisky and find out.

Alcohol acts as a blood thinner. I imagine it would have a small effect on swelling. However, I am more likely to believe that your buddy drinking on the night of his injury was just experiencing additional swelling from the injury itself. Also, if he had enough to make him think the booze was the cause I lean towards a tweak of the knee while heading to the bathroom, or not following RICE in the first 48 hours. I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah, you're going to be fine. Go get drunk.

thanks for the replies. I'm going to get drunk this week lol

Back