Alchohol and training....

ShadowWolf

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sup fellas,

This may have been done to death but here it goes.......
How bad is it to drink while training? I don't mean alchoholic binge drinking but lets say a beer or two every now and then in the evening or a shot or two to relax when partying. I like to drink a lil something something every now and then but if it's gonna effect my weight training or mma training then I'll have to cut it out. Any advice would be great.

-wolf-

Hey man, moderate drinking is alright. My mom (yeah, you read it right) uses the Michelob Ultra. Said it took her time to get used to the taste but with the lower carbs it's not so bad as standard beer. Plus, there are types of Alcohol that don't have that much of an affect.

Moderation is the key man just don't over do it and it's not goign to have a negative effect on you. Like the King is saying try to get something that is lower in carbs.

If I can add one thing here. Everybody is different. I believe that there are some people that can drink and train just fine. I on the other hand cannot touch any alchohol while training. I drink about once every 2 months and that is it. Even then it takes a couple of days to recover from.

Learn to feel and listen to your own body.

I would try to keep it as limited as you can with the exception, like you said, maybe a shot or two (I don't mean that like "a shot or two" meaning like 25) throughout the night or a few beers. Life is too short to hold you back from the things you enjoy. As long as you keep it under control and realize that it will affect your training if you go overboard. Have fun man and keep it safe.

Thanks alot guys for the advice. There are some cool guys on this site.

-wolf-

The low-carb beers (like Kabuki mentioned) are essential if you need to keep your calories down.

But 1-2 craft microbrew ales with dinner have been shown to provide the same cardiovascular benefits as red wine.

It's kind of like white bread vs. wheat bread, but with the trade-off that white bread has 1/3 the calories.

Anyone know what kind of calories/carbs are in one shot of say....vodka?

kuroMaguro said:
Anyone know what kind of calories/carbs are in one shot of say....vodka?

About 100.

Madmick said:
It's kind of like white bread vs. wheat bread, but with the trade-off that white bread has 1/3 the calories.

Hmmm...I was looking at the low-carb beers, and most aren't as low-calorie as the Michelob: most have 2/3 the calories of regular beers.

Hardly worth it, if you ask me, considering the taste and diminished nutritional value.

One or two beers or a couple of shots cant hurt unless its the night before you fight. a couple beers are out of your system quick and all you are left with a little bit of extra empty calories. Try it dude it shouldnt affect you. Just dont binge drink night after night and smoke cigarettes when you drink its a pain in the ass to train after a night of that. I fough in an exibiton fight at after a long night of partying late into the night and almost passed out in the 90 degree heat outside.

OU-BOXER said:
One or two beers or a couple of shots cant hurt unless its the night before you fight. a couple beers are out of your system quick and all you are left with a little bit of extra empty calories. Try it dude it shouldnt affect you. Just dont binge drink night after night and smoke cigarettes when you drink its a pain in the ass to train after a night of that. I fough in an exibiton fight at after a long night of partying late into the night and almost passed out in the 90 degree heat outside.

True, but a beer has about 150 calories. So two beers= 300 calories. In carbs (not alcohol), that's 75 grams of empty caloric weight. Would you sit down and eat 75 grams of sugar every night? One of my crave-killers (since I'm a Ben & Jerry's fiend) is the Dole Fruit Juice bars w/no added sugar. Those are about 7g of naturally derived sugar per bar. The idea of sitting down at night and eating 11 of those in a row seems...counterproductive.

It's bad enough when there's 30-70 grams of dextrose in creatine, and that has a specific purpose.

OU-BOXER said:

True, but a beer has about 150 calories. So two beers= 300 calories. In carbs (not alcohol), that's 75 grams of empty caloric weight. Would you sit down and eat 75 grams of sugar every night? One of my crave-killers (since I'm a Ben & Jerry's fiend) is the Dole Fruit Juice bars w/no added sugar. Those are about 7g of naturally derived sugar per bar. The idea of sitting down at night and eating 11 of those in a row seems...counterproductive.

It's bad enough when there's 30-70 grams of dextrose in creatine, and that has a specific purpose.

Back