Akido myth or fact

Ghostdogg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am interested in taking akido but all i have seen is flame after flame how it doesn't work and how come no one uses it in mma. If it is truly that horrible how come it seems so popular in the world.if anyone has insight please pros or cons but have some thought behind your post. Also does akido have throw like in judo? Thanx

You should try the grappling guys, they could probably give you a better answer.

Originally posted by Jadefalcon:

Its all in application Aikido/jutsu are less effective against trained/experienced fighters. Better off using judo/jujutsu/jiu-jitsu. But aikido and aikijutsu are not bs and I have seen both be effective against aggressive attackers. The key to those arts is blending with an opponents attack to use their power, strength, and momentum in addition to yours to increase the effectiveness of your own attack. It takes a lot of training to be able to do this effectively whereas low level judoka/jujutsuka/jiujitsuka are apt to be able to use their techniques more effectively.

Aiki arts suck for mma because trained fighters are able to attack without full on lunging or losing balance as much as an untrained fighter.

The guy who made it up was a bad@ss streetfighter who didn't want to rough people up no mores. I think it's a decent style, but it is no base style, and should be learned after you are decently skilled in something else like Kyoshin, MT or BJJ.

...or as my sensei says "Aikidon't".

The vast majority of aikido dojos practice synchronized dancing. Techniques look amazing because the students take falls. What I mean by this is that if a person performs a technique on you in the dojo, you are expected to fall. This supposedly helps people "learn". Traditional aikido, as it is currently taught, has no practical self-defense application.

However, if you have already studied a real self defense system, with lots of active sparring in whatever form, and you feel you have a reasonable chance of defending yourself and your family, aikido can bring you to another level as a martial artist. I would recommend that you study Daito Ryu instead, though. It is the brutal system that aikido came from. Very hard to find it though. Daito Ryu is probably one of the most often "faked" martial arts out there. I think there are only 2 actual instructors in the states.

TKD is wondering the same thing

On that note, TKD is used by a number of successful athletes in MMA. Of course they still cover the other basics, not just TKD.

And that would probably be the only way you'd see Aikido used in MMA. Something similar to Machida's takedowns.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/machidas-aikido-throw-vs-nak-gif-inside-648154/
lyotothrow.gif

Aikido can work if you already have a strong base in a grappling art with a good delivery system, like Judo and BJJ. Even then, I'm not sure if its worth putting your training time into Aikido.

181_1_lrg.jpg

I agree with most. Alone it seems pretty useless, but backed by a different skill set from another art some of the moves would be useful.

In Kali/Silat we use a lot of joint locks and holds to subdue an opponent.

Found what I was looking for

ThisIsKarate01-320x240.gif

Nice.

I think that's a perfect example. If that was all the grappling someone knew they would get creamed in MMA long before they made it to the UFC. But by blending/complimenting Karate with Jujitsu and Muay Thai the Machidas have made it work very well.

On that note, TKD is used by a number of successful athletes in MMA. Of course they still cover the other basics, not just TKD.

The point is they make a shitty base for someone in MMA, or even in most self-defense situations. It's not like a 15th degree black belt (or whatever inflated rank they claim) TKD practitioner picks up a little boxing and TD defense and is suddenly good.

I think there's a lot of people in here having only drunk "Winner's Cup" vodka and deducing all vodka tastes like burning.

People saying a single style doesn't work in MMA .. well what single style works in MMA anymore? Since when has MMA been the litmus test for a martial arts usefulness. Let's ignore that small joint manipulation is illegal in MMA.

Every day I'm walking along and constantly getting attacked by people with swords. This kind of environment, well... let's just say your sprawl isn't gonna save you, and your triangle chokes aren't gonna save you... CHOP CHOP.!

Oh and can someone explain the minute differences between BJJ and regular Japanese JJ, so we can all understand what's "Super MMA effective" and what's a worthless TMA. Thanks.

Chop CHOP!

It can be both depending on how you look at it. Against an untrained opponent it can be fact. Against someone who can actually fight it will most likely turn out to be a myth. It is basically a secondary art. It is designed for old people and the guy who created it was a Judoka. So basically, you need to know another martial art for Aikido for to be remotely effective against a trained opponent.

Last edited:
Back