After watching lots of Boxing and Kickboxing, MMA feels too slow paced

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
One thing I noticed while watching UFC 308 yesterday is that the 5 minute rounds drag on forever. When you factor the walk in, the fight itself, time breaks between rounds, add in a foul or two and a 3x5 fight is more like 25 minutes.

My favorite fights to watch are 3x3 Muay Thai or K1 bouts. They go really hard for 9 minutes and its over. Its not like a 12 round boxing fight or a 5x5 MMA fight where they have to conserve a bunch of energy so that they can fight for around half an hour. Even if it goes to decision, its thoroughly entertaining. Its more action packed and doesn't take 4-5hours of my day off to watch either.

I do enjoy grappling and understand that grapplers need longer rounds to open up submissions, but there arent many Demian Maia style fighters left who can really strangle someone. The sport started with long and unlimited rounds, but only became 5 minutes because they had to to get it regulated by athletic commissions. The only people who compete for that long and longer at a time are BJJ guys, Boxers, kickboxers, and wrestlers all compete in 2-3 minute rounds. The long round length is only there as a reminder that the Gracie's created the sport to promote BJJ. The reason why they had the special rules for that Sakuraba fight was to increase their chances of catching a submission.

Anyone who has ever trained in wrestling knows that 2 minutes is plenty of time. 5 minute rounds favor more cardio based fighters over more explosive fighters, which makes the sport less exciting.

Long story short, MMA drags on when nothing happens because of the round length. It actively disincentives going for crazy shit and makes it slower, which is boring at times.

One thing I noticed while watching UFC 308 yesterday is that the 5 minute rounds drag on forever. When you factor the walk in, the fight itself, time breaks between rounds, add in a foul or two and a 3x5 fight is more like 25 minutes.

My favorite fights to watch are 3x3 Muay Thai or K1 bouts. They go really hard for 9 minutes and its over. Its not like a 12 round boxing fight or a 5x5 MMA fight where they have to conserve a bunch of energy so that they can fight for around half an hour. Even if it goes to decision, its thoroughly entertaining. Its more action packed and doesn't take 4-5hours of my day off to watch either.

I do enjoy grappling and understand that grapplers need longer rounds to open up submissions, but there arent many Demian Maia style fighters left who can really strangle someone. The sport started with long and unlimited rounds, but only became 5 minutes because they had to to get it regulated by athletic commissions. The only people who compete for that long and longer at a time are BJJ guys, Boxers, kickboxers, and wrestlers all compete in 2-3 minute rounds. The long round length is only there as a reminder that the Gracie's created the sport to promote BJJ. The reason why they had the special rules for that Sakuraba fight was to increase their chances of catching a submission.

Anyone who has ever trained in wrestling knows that 2 minutes is plenty of time. 5 minute rounds favor more cardio based fighters over more explosive fighters, which makes the sport less exciting.

Long story short, MMA drags on when nothing happens because of the round length. It actively disincentives going for crazy shit and makes it slower, which is boring at times.
That must be why kickboxing and Muay Thai is so successful.

One Denver was mainly Muay Thai, only 2 MMA fights. Main event was Muay Thai and whole arena was almost sold out and beat WWE

Yeah it was a really good event and goes to show with the correct backing it could definitely be viable.
I find the opposite. Getting into MMA has ruined boxing and kickboxing for me. I don’t want to watch a billion rounds with huge gloves and it’s too predictable
ONE Muay Thai with MMA gloves is pretty exciting IMO, but I do agree big glove fights can be slower because of the clinch and shelling defense. Even big glove fights should use a smaller profile glove.

My favorite thing about kickboxing is the constant ref interruptions every second. My favorite thing about boxing is 90% of every match being as exciting as wmma.

You should probably watch more elite boxing matches.

90% of recent elite level boxing matches have been much better/more exciting than recent MMA fights.

I find the opposite. Getting into MMA has ruined boxing and kickboxing for me. I don’t want to watch a billion rounds with huge gloves and it’s too predictable
More or less the same for me, even though I have to say that I hate when an mma fight turns into a bad kickboxing one, like Petrosyan vs Shara.

Time to bring back Strikeforce renamed "Strikerforce" with standup only in MMA gloves?

One Denver was mainly Muay Thai, only 2 MMA fights. Main event was Muay Thai and whole arena was almost sold out and beat WWE

So an MMA promotion that also does Muay Thai has MMA fights, Muay Thai fights with MMA fighters and it seems like it is doing well. For one event. Lets see kickboxing stand on its own (no pun intended).

The point of an mma fight is to get it done. Stop your opponent. The rounds give plenty of opportunity to do that. I would never blame the fight time limit for a boring performance, I’d blame the fighter. MMA will always be #1. Better than boxing, Muay Thai, or any other combat sport. Fighters can be boring but the sport itself is the most exciting in the world (imo).

You should probably watch more elite boxing matches.

90% of recent elite level boxing matches have been much better/more exciting than recent MMA fights.
Do you think that the only reason that people disagree with your opinion is that they aren’t as informed as you? There is no difference between this and “you should probably watch more elite bowling games. 90% of recent elite level bowling games have been much better/more exciting than recent MMA fights.”

I like the art of Muay Thai but I dont like the rules of the sport that much tbh
I agree. Not being able to knee someone in the giblets after all those years of training to learn how to knee. It's a crime I tell ya.
<{vega}>

Reactions: HHJ
Back