• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

After 2nd laptop going off I'm switching to Apple

Yeah, that was like the cheap battery debacle surrounding the "hoverboards" and electric scooters that were getting shipped over.

With computers sometimes the actual physical design is poor, and more often the assembly is shoddy, so it doesn't hold up to use. That's what you get with cheap Windows computers. There are no cheap Apple computers, so people end up making this false comparison in their minds.

This might seem like a joke, but I'm not sure how much longer they intend to keep MacOS around. It's a disaster, a shell of its former greatness, so I won't mind seeing it go, and that seems like where things are headed. Most recently, Apple announced they'll be using their own mobile chips in their computers again, not Intel processors.

Apple has never used one of their "A" processors to power anything but an iOS device (e.g. iPhone, iPad, iPod, Apple Watch, etc.). Now, they've closed the performance gap with Intel laptop processors, for the most part, but that doesn't change the fact. My gut tells me Apple intends to phase out MacOS when it phases in its first laptops running on these native processors (expected as early as 2020).
why do you think the macOS is a shell of its former self and that Apple would abandon it? And what would they abandon it for?

why do you think the macOS is a shell of its former self and that Apple would abandon it? And what would they abandon it for?
Because it's a piece of shit OS, now, that deliberately does everything in its power to make using it in any way except the way they've designed for maximum profitability a nuisance, using iTunes/iPhoto/etc, while setting up every barrier and inconvenience to me accessing my data in its raw and most universal forms (i.e. jpeg, mp3, mkv, etc). The "bundled" library package files, for example, didn't use to exist. They didn't use to wrap up all your photos and shove them into a bundled file that isn't recognized by any other piece of software, and can't be easily dragged and dropped to an external source. They could have just created a folder. Making it more difficult for me to get to this is just them forcing me into their hardware/software ecosystem while also trying to prevent me from sailing more grey areas of the web, and punishing me for not purchasing everything off their iTunes/Apple stores.

Macs used to play nice with other devices. These days that just isn't true.

They would abandon it for iOS. Everybody already knows how to use iOS-- many kids in North America don't seem to know how to use anything else. iOS is already expanding, too, to accommodate keyboards with official Apple support for bluetooth keyboards that attach to the iPad Pros in the video I quoted. Major software that originated on desktops or on gaming consoles are making their way to iOS (ex. Fortnite). They don't have to adapt iOS to Apple processors, either.

Just turn it on.

Also, Apple hardware is made in China.

I’ve had a MacBook Air for 3 years, not one issue, other than a broken “3”. My HPs before that had a litany, I don’t think I’ll ever not buy an Apple.

Back