Advice Please

triple k

White Belt
Reaction score
Like I said in a previous post im only new to bjj and Im after getting right into it.I generally train bjj 2 nights a week and then 2 nights in the gym tryin to get fit as im adverage hight (just under 6 foot) and weight(about 12 stone) and fairly small built.Any advice as to what work i could do in the gym that would help my bjj?Any ideas would be great guys.
Cheers

triple k said:
Like I said in a previous post im only new to bjj and Im after getting right into it.I generally train bjj 2 nights a week and then 2 nights in the gym tryin to get fit as im adverage hight (just under 6 foot) and weight(about 12 stone) and fairly small built.Any advice as to what work i could do in the gym that would help my bjj?Any ideas would be great guys.
Cheers
When I train on my own in the gym, I work on cardio cardio cardio. I use use elipiticals since they are nicer on my joints than just running but a better workout and not nearly as boring as riding a exercise bike. After doing that for 30-some minutes, the machine says I went 2.5-3.5 miles and burned 400-600 calories. I pout since I'm slow but not for long!

Then I might go down to the open mats and drill drill drill! I sometimes used to do HIIT like burpees (see the Conditioning forum) before I hurt my toes to the point I can't put any weight on them. Now I just do 2 minutes drilling/2 minute rest intervals for an hour or more total like I did before. Here are the drills I do:
  • Shrimping
  • Reverse Shrimping
  • Hip lifts
  • ball rolling left (starting from sitiing upright in butterfly hands on knees, roll on arm, on back just below neck, onto other arm, back upright)
  • ball rolling right
  • hip lift ball rolling left (do a hip lift when on back then finish roll, very hard for me!)
  • hip lift ball rolling right
  • Granby rolls left (if space is limited, I start from knees instead of a tripod.)
  • Granby rolls right
  • hip bump "sweep" in air (right, left, right, left, ...)
  • push-ups
  • sit-ups
  • bodyweight squats
  • shadow wrestling stand-up
  • jog, cool down
At the end do wall-sits: How long can you sit against the wall without a chair? I usually set the watch for 2-3 minutes. I hate these! I should probably add some more exercises to that list and do them while shortening rest to 1 minute. But I'm lazy. Sometimes I do different exercises than the ones listed too.

A different conditioning routine is to get a deck of cards. Shuffle. Cut it in half. Pick four different exercises for each suit - e.g. sit-ups, push-ups, squats, hip lifts - for each half (8 total exercises, or less if your repeat some). Pick first card and do exercise on face value. Jacks, Queens, and Kings are 10. Aces are either 15, 11, or 1 depending on how you play. Jokers are 20 of your choice. Yet another routine that's good for after practices as a warmdown is 50-50-50: 50 squats, 50 push-ups, 50 sit-ups, each as fast as you can.

Thanks a million buddy,lot of useful information there,I will certainly take it on board,sounds to me like you do one hell of a workout.im just off the cigarettes(about two weeks)and im tryong to get right back in shape.Its not too easy man and i hate that electric chair aswell,the first time i did that i was literlly in bits for days,il never forget it.Its a lot easier now do.Looks like im gonna have to go in degrees to match up to a workout like yours

Squats, lunges, pull ups, Cleans, deadlifts, push ups, roman chair, and burpees,...stretch alot.. before and after lifting.

you dont need alot of different excercises.. stick to building your core, and flexibility.

Gsoares2 said:
Squats, lunges, pull ups, Cleans, deadlifts, push ups, roman chair, and burpees,...stretch alot.. before and after lifting.

you dont need alot of different excercises.. stick to building your core, and flexibility.
I agree in general. I tend to get bored easily during workouts, and I'm also not a natural athelete. Almost everyone in my family is fat or has diabetes too. I have to work very hard to stay in relative shape compared with my peers. Simpler routines make work better for different people.

triple k: Good luck quitting smoking! Probably one of the best decisions you made!

Back