advice please..

acropora

White Belt
Reaction score
im new to these forums and to bjj and mma.
i want to take bjj and maybe even mma. living in pasadena i narrowed it down to 2 schools:
beverly hills jiu jitsu or gracie in torrance.
which one do you guys feel is better? any other suggestions for schools?
is learning bff from a gracie that much better than learning from someone else?
any help would be appreciated. thx

i'm from europe, but if you have the chance to train at beverly hills jiu jitsu, fucking GO FOR IT!

my friends were blown away at a seminar marcus held here, you just can't go wrong with him.

do you learn all the same things? is gracie jj, much differnt from the jiu jitsu i would learn at bhjj? just a noobie, but gracies seem to imply their jiu jitsu is different/better. true? not going to UFC or pride, just wanna be decent/good at bjj.

like i said man, im european and have never been to any of those.

however, if you want bjj only, any gracie club is the thing you want. if you want mma, you might want to consider some alternatives as well.

Are you really going to go from Pasadena to BH or Torrance regularly (i.e. at least 2x a week, if not more)??? Isn't there a closer school???

If you want BJJ, as traditional as it gets...go to Gracie Academy.
If you want the BJJ you see at tourneys and as part of MMA...go to BHJJC.
If you're not sure...go to BHJJC...and if it's too intense, then go to Gracie Academy.

But I'd highly recommend finding a place as close to home as possible, or (no offense) I predict you'll drop out after a couple of months.

If I had the same choice I'd go to BHJJ. What the Torrance gym has is the Gracie name, but that doesn't make it better in anything other than advertising.

My suggestion to you is go check them out, and go to the school you feel most comfortable at. How you connect with the instructor and the other students is really more important than anything else.

thanks. gonna probably go with bhjjc. checked them out today along with gracie, bhjjc seems more intense.
i can easily go there two times a week, so it may be a good fit. thanks everyone.

It all depends on what you want to learn. Do you want ot study BJJ or MMA style. If you are into BJJ then go see the Gacies. If you are into MMA then go to a different school in your own area and save on the drive.

do you guys think that that gracie jj is old and has not evolved or do you think it is the "pure" form of the art?

Well heres my two cents....BRAZILIAN JIUJITSU, you will train in a gi which i personally dont like. Alot of the moves require you to grab the opponents gi. Some guys compare the gi to an opponents clothes out on the street but I say in a street fight clothes will just rip off. Now it all depends what you want, if you would like to compete in BJJ later on then I say BJJ alone is cool.

MMA, You'll train in whatever clothes you want or shirtless and in my opinion is better for if youre in it for simply self defense. Or competition too i cant lie. I feel its more realistic and youll become a more well rounded fighter because of the wrestling, judo, bjj, boxing, and muay thai mix.

When I moved to L.A. i looked around for a mma school and came across one that incorporated like karate chop type fighting and again "in my own opinion" is useless. I also noticed that the ground grappling skill at the school wasnt the greatest. So just look out for that. Almost all schools will let you try out one or two classes for free and then you choose one u like. Good luck and let us know what you decide! Either way whatever you choose, there both going to be a hell of alot of fun.

Where is Rickson's Academy in relation to the places listed above?

here's another option:

977 E. Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91106
Instructors
Rigan Machado
Roger Machado
Map it
on Yahoo
or Mapquest
626-792-5050

However, I'd also suggest BHJJ

OwwTapTap said:
Well heres my two cents....BRAZILIAN JIUJITSU, you will train in a gi which i personally dont like. Alot of the moves require you to grab the opponents gi. Some guys compare the gi to an opponents clothes out on the street but I say in a street fight clothes will just rip off. Now it all depends what you want, if you would like to compete in BJJ later on then I say BJJ alone is cool.

MMA, You'll train in whatever clothes you want or shirtless and in my opinion is better for if youre in it for simply self defense. Or competition too i cant lie. I feel its more realistic and youll become a more well rounded fighter because of the wrestling, judo, bjj, boxing, and muay thai mix.

When I moved to L.A. i looked around for a mma school and came across one that incorporated like karate chop type fighting and again "in my own opinion" is useless. I also noticed that the ground grappling skill at the school wasnt the greatest. So just look out for that. Almost all schools will let you try out one or two classes for free and then you choose one u like. Good luck and let us know what you decide! Either way whatever you choose, there both going to be a hell of alot of fun.

agreed, mma training i feel is more realistic for the street. now, i dont plan to start any trouble since i am an older guy with a career just need defense. but i do feel bjj does help a lot in a brawl but is not complete without stand up. so....
I decided on bhjcc. the drive isnt too bad. i can write off gas and transport because of my job. so i try to go 1 or 2 times a week with a private. guys are really good there. big and strong. at 5'9" 170lbs, im tiny. just hanging in there. thanks for the tips guys.
btw, i checked out the machado place in pasadena, got a weird vibe so maybe not.
do you guys think gracie style jj is just hype and that its just desinger bjj?

also, if any one wants to spar/roll in my area lmk, im game.

acropora said:
do you guys think gracie style jj is just hype and that its just desinger bjj?

If you want my honest opinion, yes. I don't think BJJ as taught by the Gracies is any better than BJJ taught by lots of other famous people.

Gracie is probably the most famous name in the martial arts right now, and most of that was due to very clever marketing by Rorian in the early UFC days.

There is nothing wrong with training under a Gracie. Many of them are excellent instructors. I am just saying that I don't think there is anything special about it, and that there are also many other excellent instructors who aren't named Gracie.

Choose a BJJ school based on the quality of instruction, not the instructor's name.

Well i dont know for a fact, but it could be like........... do u want to pay 40 bucks for original levis? Or do u want to pay 20 bucks for wranglers? Theyre both denim, and theyre both pants, and nobody will know who the hell makes them until you tell! Hey thats pretty cool what i just typed right there hahaa but it makes sense right?

Haha heres another analogy.......regarding fat chicks.... it'll feel the same and the ending will be happy but you wont feel good about yourself and you probably wont tell your friends that the girl you ended up hittin was fat. Just like you wont run around sayin your wearin wranglers. Same with the wranglers.... you wont feel as happy sportin them BUT... you got pants = you got p*ssy!

Im such a dork....dont mind me :rolleyes:

Back