Advice Needed Please Help!!!!

xbjj70387x

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey first post. Have a question about my class situation. first some background. The coach at my school is a Gracie JJ black belt under Royce, and has trained with Rickson. The class is very small. He is the teaching hands on every day. The class at the most has about 3 or 4 people. sometimes we get up to 6. there is noone my size though, i am about 140 and the average person is about 190. Now the weight is not a problem because i hold my own and am actually one of the best despite my size. Classes are three times a week. I also get to have 1 on 1 sessions about 3 times a week with my coach. All this for about $200 every 2 1/2 - 3 months.

The problem is the size of the class. I would like to spar with people my size. Sparing with the biggers guys has help make me more technical. But i feel i would do much better at a bigger school with many more different people to spar with. Anyone have any advice????

If you're instructor is truly a Gracie BB, you are paying way under market value for that much instruction. I'd say enter as many tourney's as possible to roll with people you own age, and stay with the sweet deal you've got going.

Yes he is a legit GJJ black belt. Hes lent me tapes of him sparing with Royce. And hes good. LOL. I mean real good. He used to teach at a bigger school but got tired of the "politics" so now he teaching a small class. Another problem is the class dosent go to to many tournaments. Iv tried to go to ones by myself but its different.

The amount of instruction you are getting from him is huge bargain. I wouldn't expect it to last long. Enjoy it while you can.

Stick with the school that you're at, it's a really good bargain, my school is like that too...less than 10 people per class, most guys are 30 pounds heavier than me (and athletic as well), are you in a major city? If you are, I'm sure every city has gyms have open mat sessions (at least NYC does) for really cheap with a LOT of people (and little instruction) where you can test your mettle

Unless he can prove his lineage I would venture to say he is lying...if he was truely that skilled he would have a bigger class and certainly charge more!

For your sake I hope he is who you say he is bc that would be SICK!! And your situation is amazing!! Fuck class size....you are getting hands on lessons and having your every move corrected whereas if you were in a larger class you get lost in the crowd! The grass isnt always greener on the otherside!!

Unless he can prove his lineage I would venture to say he is lying...if he was truely that skilled he would have a bigger class and certainly charge more!

For your sake I hope he is who you say he is bc that would be SICK!! And your situation is amazing!! Fuck class size....you are getting hands on lessons and having your every move corrected whereas if you were in a larger class you get lost in the crowd! The grass isnt always greener on the otherside!!

yea he's still got his GJJ pants. He's shown mr videos of him soaring with Royce back in the day. He's def 100% legit GJJ Black Belt.

ZOMG he has GJJ pants?!?1 he is definitely legit then! :D

I assume he was wearing his black belt while rolling with Royce in those videos you saw?

anyways, if you just tell us his name, it can be verified properly. if he is legit, you should consider yourself lucky to have such a personal learning environment. It is much easier to get lost in the crowd at a bigger academy. you will benefit much more from the virtual private lessons you are receiving.

If you are paying that little for such a small class, that's absolute gold man. It's like private lessons every day!

I wouldnt worry so much about your desiree to roll with people your size. Rolling with people that much bigger then you will improve your game on different levels then rolling with someone smaller.

I weigh 120lbs and i am the smallest in my class. Ive been rolling with guys ranging from 140lbs to 200lbs+ and it helps me develope my technique a lot.

I use to complain as well to my instructor about not having someone my size in the class but i grew out of it and do what i am told, hence why im a white belt and my instructor is a brown, cause he knows what he is talking about.

Congrats on the great deal though. hope i helped.

i am calling total BS in this thread until the TS tells the instructors name like he has been asked 4 times

ZOMG he has GJJ pants?!?1 he is definitely legit then! :D

I assume he was wearing his black belt while rolling with Royce in those videos you saw?

anyways, if you just tell us his name, it can be verified properly. if he is legit, you should consider yourself lucky to have such a personal learning environment. It is much easier to get lost in the crowd at a bigger academy. you will benefit much more from the virtual private lessons you are receiving.

He also goes and trains with Matt Serra from time to time. Im looking for the Picture. Ill post itin a bit.

why don't you look for his name, otherwise gtfo with that bs

why don't you look for his name, otherwise gtfo with that bs

What would be the point of lying. Im just looking for advice. Its my first post and iv been thinking about it for a while and decided to see what other peeple thought

What would be the point of lying. Im just looking for advice. Its my first post and iv been thinking about it for a while and decided to see what other peeple thought
then tell us who the instructor is, i dont know what the point of lying would be, but there are a lot of trolls just looking for attention, all you have to do to prove you aren't a troll is tell us who you train under

What? So you'll post a pic of him, but will not say his name? Do you know his name?

This thread is getting weird.

Ig this is legit, yuou have nothing to lose or fear by posting his name.

I agree, TS you're lossing credibility here. What harm would posting the instructor's name do?

Anyway, if he is legit you've got a good thing going for you. The gym I go to is really new, and not many people know about it yet. They cap the class size off at 20 students, although I have never seen the class reach that size. Normally the class size is about 4-8 guys. There have been days though that I showed up for a regular class, and ended up getting one on one instruction because nobody else showed up. This was on a holiday, but still. I feel like I learn a lot more when the class size is smaller.

Back