Advice Needed Please Help!!!!

xbjj70387x

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey first post. Have a question about my class situation. first some background. The coach at my school is a Gracie JJ black belt under Royce, and has trained with Rickson. The class is very small. He is the teaching hands on every day. The class at the most has about 3 or 4 people. sometimes we get up to 6. there is noone my size though, i am about 140 and the average person is about 190. Now the weight is not a problem because i hold my own and am actually one of the best despite my size. Classes are three times a week. I also get to have 1 on 1 sessions about 3 times a week with my coach. All this for about $200 every 2 1/2 - 3 months.

The problem is the size of the class. I would like to spar with people my size. Sparing with the biggers guys has help make me more technical. But i feel i would do much better at a bigger school with many more different people to spar with. Anyone have any advice

If you are getting more personal attention at the club where you currently are, then that's not necessarily a bad thing. One-on-one time several times a week with your instructor is like free private lessons. I personally would stay where you are to take advantage of the availability of your instructor. If you feel you need to spar with people your own size, then maybe look for an open mat day somewhere at another club or school?

Back