Advice for my future (Herniated L5-S1)

EL CORINTHIAN

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Ok guys i have a question, i have wanted to post this for sometime

I have had nagging back pain since last june which the MRI confirmed to be a herniation of the L5-S1. I dont want to sound like a hard ass but i am young and i want to pursue fighting and will live with a little nerve pain i dont care but sometimes the back pain is WAY to much to handle

My status looks ok right now seems to be ok, i play wrestle with my freinds and never really had formal classes but when i do wrestle i ussually like to throw the opponent and when lifting i dont feel any pain. When i run i dont feel anything unnusual although my back does seem to hurt( It always used to hurt being a bit fatter and flat footed) I can do body weight excercises no problem. I cannot do weighted squats although i can do bodyweight squats. Lifting dead weight hurts my back but lifting people doesnt seem to give me the same effect. I work as a tradesman so sometimes i will have to lift a furnace and most of the times it doesnt hurt. Basically pulling of the ground hurts.

It seems like i could start training but after the micro-discectomy i dont know what i will be like

MY QUESTION
As far as Grappling goes with a herniated disc, Does BJJ seem more back freindly then judo for the long run?

Im sorry for any grammar or spelling errors my english sucks.

i just wanted to get into fighting and i have always loved Judo and had my mind set on Judo but i dont want to be crippled. I also wanted to know if anyone could ever get back on there feet after a back surgery.

i dont care aobut the nerve pain i can live with it but the back pain is way to much for me on certain days.

MY QUESTION
As far as Grappling goes with a herniated disc, Does BJJ seem more back freindly then judo for the long run?

IMHO BJJ is more back friendly. How old are you? If you already have a herniated disc MMA training will not help your recovery.

Im 19 right now and i would do pure BJJ or Pure Judo i wouldnt do MMA training at the moment until i was completley ready to live my life

First off, I'm not a doctor. I can't tell you what will or will not work for you, even if you told me all the details because of the first point I made. All I can do is relate my experience. I will also note that I do not actively participate in much grappling other than for exercise and it's against a grappling dummy.

That being said, I have a similar situation. I have degenerative disc disease, which is basically the disc material between the vertebrae slowly dissolves over a long period of time. Many people get this to some degree. This was compounded by a herniated disc from lifting too much weight improperly. It basically left me with permanent spasms in my lower back, as it tries to protect the spine from the herniated disc and lack of disc material. I had pretty much written off almost all forms of exercise, as doing something as simple as putting on a pair of socks could cause excruciating back pain as the muscles spasm. What I did to overcome this was realize that I needed to do back strengthening exercise coupled with all over body strengthening. I can now do a pretty decent workout on almost all facets of MMA-related training. Weights, heavy bag, grappling, throws. My back still complains now and then, but holy crap the difference after getting back into working out is huge.

I would check with your doctor to make sure you're in OK condition to take on some small exercise. Work your way up and stop if you feel sharp stabbing pains. I think the doctor would be happy to hear you keeping your trunk in good shape, as having a strong trunk will go a long way in keeping your back healthy. But again, check with your doctor on this, and good luck!

First off, I'm not a doctor. I can't tell you what will or will not work for you, even if you told me all the details because of the first point I made. All I can do is relate my experience. I will also note that I do not actively participate in much grappling other than for exercise and it's against a grappling dummy.

That being said, I have a similar situation. I have degenerative disc disease, which is basically the disc material between the vertebrae slowly dissolves over a long period of time. Many people get this to some degree. This was compounded by a herniated disc from lifting too much weight improperly. It basically left me with permanent spasms in my lower back, as it tries to protect the spine from the herniated disc and lack of disc material. I had pretty much written off almost all forms of exercise, as doing something as simple as putting on a pair of socks could cause excruciating back pain as the muscles spasm. What I did to overcome this was realize that I needed to do back strengthening exercise coupled with all over body strengthening. I can now do a pretty decent workout on almost all facets of MMA-related training. Weights, heavy bag, grappling, throws. My back still complains now and then, but holy crap the difference after getting back into working out is huge.

I would check with your doctor to make sure you're in OK condition to take on some small exercise. Work your way up and stop if you feel sharp stabbing pains. I think the doctor would be happy to hear you keeping your trunk in good shape, as having a strong trunk will go a long way in keeping your back healthy. But again, check with your doctor on this, and good luck!

Thank you for your advice i appreciate it very much
See the strengthinening part is usefull but i have been an olympic lifting since i was 15 i could overhead squat 200lbs relativley easy and have done core strengthening on and off since i was like 7 years old. I wouldnt know what more to do except lose any unnecesarry weight. My strength thank god has suprisingley gotten alot better from so much rest. I could life things i didnt know i could lift and can do 100 sit-ups in a row with out to much complication

both are fairly strenuous on your back and my advice would be to get whatever medical procedures or rehab done that's necessary. You are so young that it would behoove you to not take up anything that would permanently ruin your back until you get it healthy enough to.

both are fairly strenuous on your back and my advice would be to get whatever medical procedures or rehab done that's necessary. You are so young that it would behoove you to not take up anything that would permanently ruin your back until you get it healthy enough to.

best advise is from Hayliks.

being 19 you need to focus on getting med and rehab as a major priority. Adding up activities that can further your problem is not a good idea until you are back to 100%

you might feel ok and only slight pain now but in 10 years it'll be worse with added back activities and if you never rehab or got it medically fixed.

While there are degrees of herniated disc severity, at 19 with no prior back injuries, there is a pretty solid chance you will heal on your own if you just be patient and avoid back strain for a month or two. Most herniated discs fix themselves (especially in young people without prior back injury), you just have to be smart and do your part to help this process along. If this means getting off the mat for a month and not horsing around with your buddies, then just do it right so you don't have to deal with chronic back problems or back surgery. There are stretches and exercises you can learn (ask your doctor for a physical therapy referral) to help you along both now and down the road (since you are more likely to have back problems from now on, you should be proactive in your weight training and stretching to try and strengthen and protect the area). Basically, be smart. You're young and have plenty of time, so make sure you do what it takes to get healthy now so you don't have to deal with a chronic problem in the future. Good luck.

Back