Advice for 1st Judo Competition

Didham

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm a Judo white belt who has been training for a few months now, my first tournament is tomorrow and I'm in the 100+ KG weight class competing against yellow, orange, and green belts. I'm on the low end of the weight class and from what I've seen theirs some much bigger guys in there, any advice for techniques to get them to the ground which is where I'm more comfortable?

You want grappling technique this is standup technique.

Didham said:
Hey,

I'm a Judo white belt who has been training for a few months now, my first tournament is tomorrow and I'm in the 100+ KG weight class competing against yellow, orange, and green belts. I'm on the low end of the weight class and from what I've seen theirs some much bigger guys in there, any advice for techniques to get them to the ground which is where I'm more comfortable?

dont rely on ground, theyll stand you up.. My first competition i was a yellow belt and i fought a black belt, he took me down and i got him in a triangle and the referee stood us up in like 3 seconds.. before i could get it on good.. damn that sucked, so close to winning

depends on their height if they are much taller than you look out for uchi mata harai goshi, if thwey are bigger but shorter look at for tai otoshi and maki komi. Just keep moving and stay active and you wil be fine.

better to ask in the Grappling forum or at www.judoforum.com

... You need to rely on the techniques that you have learned and are most comfortable with. I could give you lots of advice but it is way to late to teach something new.

You should already have learned some takedowns/throws. If you dont know any - you are not ready for a competition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anddrew
Back