Advancing Position From the Sidemount

whitemagicOG

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Just started Jiu Jitsu, and was wondering once you get to sidemount, what is the next logical position ...mount? If so, is there a you tube video or something you could suggest I watch on how to advance my position from there?

Thanks

Just started Jiu Jitsu, and was wondering once you get to sidemount, what is the next logical position ...mount? If so, is there a you tube video or something you could suggest I watch on how to advance my position from there?

Thanks

hate to say it but this is day one stuff. if you don't train, and can't ask somone who does i suggest watching any MMA fight or submission grappling match ever. it happens at all levels in almost every match. youtube is your friend

Thanks

Logically, yes. But it depends on whether or not your mount game is strong. I'd personally give up full mount to switch to side control, but very rarely go the other way. The only time I go to mount from side control if my opponent is escaping and I can transition to it comfortably. Once I calm him down and get control in mount, I'd go straight back to side mount. But I'm a newbie :)

hate to say it but this is day one stuff. if you don't train, and can't ask somone who does i suggest watching any MMA fight or submission grappling match ever. it happens at all levels in almost every match. youtube is your friend

It's apparently not day one stuff, cause I didn't learn it yesterday.

Logically, yes. But it depends on whether or not your mount game is strong. I'd personally give up full mount to switch to side control, but very rarely go the other way. The only time I go to mount from side control if my opponent is escaping and I can transition to it comfortably. Once I calm him down and get control in mount, I'd go straight back to side mount. But I'm a newbie :)

Makes sense. Thanks

It's apparently not day one stuff, cause I didn't learn it yesterday.

I think alot of people forget that day 1 in most clubs is not "Hi welcome to BJJ" and explaining everything. Usually it's more of "join in, things will be hard for you to understand but just give it a go and see if you like it".

On topic: It also depends on the context I think. MMA the mount is obviously more beneficial because of the ability to strike from there making escapes difficult and usually ending up in the guy on the bottom giving up his back. Straight BJJ however it's probably down to the persons game.

I think alot of people forget that day 1 in most clubs is not "Hi welcome to BJJ" and explaining everything. Usually it's more of "join in, things will be hard for you to understand but just give it a go and see if you like it".

Exactly.

After you get the conventional side control position, it is imperative that you transition to TWISTER side control. When you get there you will have many options. Do not bother with the traditional side control, and also ignore the conventional guard. Make sure you check out the rubber guard series too.

I will not typically go straight ot mount from Side control. Its rather difficult against experienced peopel. Usually I will start with switching from side to North/South and either move back to the same side or continue through and end up on the opposite side.

You will learn that everyone has a dominant side. Switiching back and forth will open up opportunities for attacks that may not have worked on one side of them but do on the other. It also has the effect orf wearing down and frustrating your opponent making the move to mount much easier.

Many times when you transition a lot back and forth they will also give up their back.

One of our black belt instructors is just vicious with his transitions. He doesn't do anything fancy . He just keep switching back and forth till you get tired and honestly pissed and do something silly and leave an arm out or expose your neck and then its all over but the tapping.

Oh cmonnnnnnn!! Is this a serious question??

If you took even one class or an intro and this wasn't addressed LEAVE that school immediately!!

The best tip I can give you: Stay in sidemount.

Maintaining good sidecontrol is in an underrated skill that will serve you very well as you progress.

If it's your first week you should be back in your opponent's guard before you even have the opportunity to think about what to do next.

Advancing to mount will take care of itself. Don't let your opponent reestablish guard, and you'll be improving.

i dont really agree that transitioning from side control to something else is day 1 stuff. as a beginner you should be learning how to hold side control correctly. breaking down bridges, and controlling the hips. its taken me atleast 3 or 4 months to explore options from side control. i think it really is personal preference on what you do from there. for example when i do no gi, i really like to play north/south position from side control, especially if the guy has really good bridges or is a big guy. in the gi i like to grab the back of the collar and either take front base or knee on stomach and play from there. but like i said there are tons of options from side control, you just gotta figure out what you like. but by all means, once you do figure out what you like, don't be ignorant in your training other positions.

The best tip I can give you: Stay in sidemount.

Maintaining good sidecontrol is in an underrated skill that will serve you very well as you progress.

If it's your first week you should be back in your opponent's guard before you even have the opportunity to think about what to do next.

Advancing to mount will take care of itself. Don't let your opponent reestablish guard, and you'll be improving.

Is this serious advice? Advancing to the mount will take care of itself?? WOW!

Give the guy a break. Not sure about the rest of you but my first day of class......nobody said, "well since you know very little to nothing about BJJ, let's take everybody's time up by explaining to YOU all the basic stuff." The stuff I know (while still a whitebelt) was picked up over time.

I think his point is that the OP is getting ahead of himself in trying to get to mount and should concentrate on learning basics instead of trying to jump ahead after only one class.

More advacnced techniques will come in time. Not on the first day.

With so many options work to find what's best for you. If you have the flexablity, learn conventional Side and Mount, and also work Twister Side and that game. Work everything you can so in a match, everything is open, so if your opponet is good at conventional Side, you can work Twister and make openings in that game.

the staying in side mount is just bad advice i think, specially if were talking gi here. having a strong mount game is great. at first i i hated mount because my game was weak and guys had a fairly good chance at escaping my mount or bridging me over to reverse the position to where i was then on bottom with them in my open guard. i worked with my teacher a little bit on the sublties of the position and 8 months later my mount game is strong, when i mount you you have a very slim chance for escape and its just a matter of time before the choke comes. i wouldnt give that position up for side control ever if it were up to me.

i think the dude who told you to stay in side control is like how i was before i made my mount game strong, he doesnt want to mount because he will soon be reversed and he has a better chance at side control subs. there is a time and a place for everything but you really need to focus on maintaining a good mount even though its very hard in the beggining, and trust me, you will hit it and be reversed constantly, but then you'll discover the little things to fix that too with time.

that being said you need to learn how to get comfortable with knee on belly, because if you just go for mount on someone whos been there for even just a month chances are he will catch that leg coming over with theirs and put you in half guard. i always hit knee on belly and it makes it alot more difficult for them to catch that leg, even start attacking the neck from knee on belly to get them to defend and bring up the arms and you can push em up to have everything cleared. i you have so much stuff to learn right now and it will be overwhelming all the information you recieve, just focus on what your teacher is telling you. i hope this helps a little.

I think his point is that the OP is getting ahead of himself in trying to get to mount and should concentrate on learning basics instead of trying to jump ahead after only one class.

More advacnced techniques will come in time. Not on the first day.

Yea I hear ya....but I think you should always be thinking about progressing. Lets say you have side mount and the guy under you is making mistakes that are giving you the mount or his back...I think it should always be in your head that you are want to take those positions, rather than just being happy where you are.

I dont think you should overwhelm a new studnet but telling him where he wants to go next isnt overwhelming IMO.

I think what kinda threw me was when he said "taking the mount will work itself out" bc I think it takes A LOT of practice to acheive the mount. Nothing in BJJ works itself it...it ALL takes practice and repetition!

After you get the conventional side control position, it is imperative that you transition to TWISTER side control. When you get there you will have many options. Do not bother with the traditional side control, and also ignore the conventional guard. Make sure you check out the rubber guard series too.

Thats really bad advice, as a beginner twister side control is really hard to maintain and he is just going to get his back taken. Rubber guard and twister side control arent some magic techniques that are unbeatable, there are pro's and con's to both sytles

Back to the question, i find side control is beter place to be in just because you have less limbs to deal with, if you have a competent side control your opponent cant use his legs as much as he could to escape like he could in the mount, when you do try to advance dont just throw it over, try to slide it accross the chest/ abdomen area.

Yes it's very serious advice. Establishing and maintaining a dominant position is step one. Improving position is step two.

Anyone suggesting that he should work on his mount after his first day of grappling is delusional. How often do you think he's going to find himself in full mount against more advanced students during his first 6 months of rolling? At this stage in his game he should be focused on not allowing his opponent to reestablish guard. Where are his hands and knees, hips down, weight down, that's what he should be drilling, ad nauseam...that's how grappling works, it's a progression, it helps to improve stuff in the order that you will need it. It was his first day. Start at the beginning.

In shooto we constantly did three minute rounds: top man holds side control, bottom man escapes, establishes guard or reverses, period. Sometimes 6 plus rounds. It's good practice.

Take it or leave it...

Back