Advanced waiter sweep options (deep half guard)

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by goatfury, Feb 17, 2016.

1. goatfury

goatfury Brown Belt

Os3y3ris likes this.
  2. Allan san

Allan san Green Belt

Thanks for this, Goat. I love the waiter sweep but my partners have been getting hip to it and really putting their weight forward. I always transition into the 2-on-1 position but never knew the important detail of changing the direction of the sweep. This adversity has helped me develop my back takes from DHG, but I still want my waiter sweep to be my unstoppable go-to.

3. goatfury

goatfury Brown Belt

I think you'd really enjoy the leg drag variations. I used one last night on a very good wrestler. Works amazingly well, and if you're into the cross-body ankle lock, that's right there as well. :)

4. throwboes

throwboes Blue Belt

Thank you for posting. Those are nice options for when your opponentt bases forward. Do you have options against tall guys who reach back and post backwards preventing you from coming up?

5. goatfury

goatfury Brown Belt

Yes, definitely, but I'm afraid it's not going to translate well into a Sherdog post. Essentially, I like to create a far-side leg dag. Make any sense?

6. throwboes

throwboes Blue Belt

So, do you back out of the waiter sweep position to a combat or squat position and drag the opponents left leg (assuming you previously had their right leg in your guard)?

7. throwboes

throwboes Blue Belt

I guess, you wouldn't back out because you need your head behind the dragged leg. So, would you pop out the back and then post up to your knees / combat / squat position?

8. goatfury

goatfury Brown Belt

No, neither. See the "pendulum" variation? Now, imagine they're staying on top and not allowing the sweep to happen. With me so far?

throwboes likes this.
  9. DrJitsu

DrJitsu Orange Belt

I love deep half and I love the waiter position when I can get it.

Sometimes, people will hide that far leg- the leg you are trying to hook to get the waiter. Anyone have a solution for this? I like to try and hook that leg and bring it forward.

To throwboes posting above- when they sit back like that (if i understand correctly), i like to hook the far leg a la Ryan Hall. That hook allows you to come up into a leg drag or if they defend you can go to X-guard. Deep half to leg drag is awesome.

throwboes likes this.
  10. DrJitsu

DrJitsu Orange Belt

This is just one option. Check it out:

throwboes likes this.
  11. throwboes

throwboes Blue Belt

Yes

12. throwboes

throwboes Blue Belt

Thank you. I can kind of picture it. I'll have to ask my instructor and see if he can show me the details. Thanks again.

13. goatfury

goatfury Brown Belt

Yeah, driving forward with the knee. I think I mention it in the description. You can kind of see it in the videos, but I'll do a more thorough explanation of exactly this down the road.

14. goatfury

goatfury Brown Belt

throwboes likes this.
  15. goatfury

goatfury Brown Belt

@DrJitsu - Kris Kim has some great stuff. His approach to the entry to the leg drag is more or less exactly the same as mine.