Adesenya benefits from being in a striker heavy division

Luckyme

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
There's no denying Izzy's talent after his performance tonight but let's remember that he has an obvious advantage of being in a division that's dominated by strikers. He's been very fortunate in that all of his opponents with the exception of Romero who doesn't use his wrestling, never posed any ground threat.

I doubt Izzy would be champion if the likes of Usman or Khabib were around at MW. You almost feel sorry for someone like Wonderboy who's also an elite striker but unlike Izzy, fights in a grappling heavy division that puts the title out of reach.

Israel has very good takedown defense, and superb range control, power, and accuracy. He takes the ground threat away, his reactions are too fast, esp. at the range you'd have to shoot from in order to not get picked apart. Moves laterally more than backwards so he's hard to pin up against the cage.

Yes. I really cannot think of someone who can beat him right now.

It's not his fault Rockhold and Weidman are fighting like shit these days.

Lol, his first fight was against a wrestler. In every fight his opponent has tried to take him down except for the Whitaker and Costa fight. When he has been taken down, no one has controlled him for more than maybe 7 seconds if that. Derek Brunson just derailed a hype train with wrestling and he was like 0-12 on takedown attempts against Izzy.

Miocic vs Israel would be hilarious.

Maybe those high level wrestlers should be ranked in the top 15 if they're good enough to beat him...

Izzy has beaten a couple of wrestlers already...

Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Khamzat is coming

Well maybe those wrestlers need to win more and get into the top 10 lol

I hope Costa can bounce back from this. Bully type brawlers like Costa don't comeback very well from such a thorough trouncing.

You can't be one dimensional against Adesanya. You have to atleast be able to threaten with takedowns to beat him. A pure striker is going to have a hard time with Adesanya because he's so razor sharp and I think there's no doubt now that he's got the best striking in the division.

Back