Adesanya vs Gastelum for interim title

brawlnsprawl

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What would you guys think about this hypothetical situation? Would you be ok with this? Who wins it and why?

I’d be ok with it since Whitaker is gonna be out awhile and hasn’t defended in forever. Also it satisfies Dana’s promise to Adesanya and still gives Gastelum his title shot. I think Kelvin pulls it off as he has more tools being the more complete mma fighter.

There are no good options. I'm not convinced this is the least worst though.

How many top 5 wins do they have between them, 1 (squeeking by Jacare)?

I don't think a win (for Gastelum) over Bisping and Belfort would make him deserve a title shot, nor does a victory over Silva.

I think they should both fight imo.

I don't think a win (for Gastelum) over Bisping and Belfort would make him deserve a title shot, nor does a victory over Silva.

I think they should both fight imo.

The issue with that though is how long it will take and whether Whitaker deserves to keep the belt that long without a defense. In terms of Kelvin and Israel isolated I agree. Also Romero who'd be the fourth wheel here already has a fight in a few months. Maybe Jacare?

Right now no one really deserves a title shot. But a shot is a shot to fight the champ and the champ doesn't really deserve his belt either.

Scrap the belt for now. MW tourney. Kelvin vs Israel, Costa vs. Yoel(which is happening.) Winners fight for the belt. Whittaker can get the first crack at the winner of the tourney, or if he can come back sooner he gets a contender fight.

Adesanya vs Jacare

Gastelum vs Yoel/Costa winner for interim or Whittaker if he recovers fast

Easiest fight of Kevin's career.

Other guy that couldn't finish Silva when he was throwing the fight doesn't deserve a title shot

The issue with that though is how long it will take and whether Whitaker deserves to keep the belt that long without a defense. In terms of Kelvin and Israel isolated I agree. Also Romero who'd be the fourth wheel here already has a fight in a few months. Maybe Jacare?

Right now no one really deserves a title shot. But a shot is a shot to fight the champ and the champ doesn't really deserve his belt either.
Okay, my bro. Now I disagree lol. He beat Romero twice (controversial, or not.) and finished Jacare. That is a huge achievement for any MW.

I say Jacare vs. Adesanya and keep Gastelum as the no. 1 contender.

I think Adesanya finishes Jacare though, he has mediocre takedowns and has fallen in love with even worse striking.

LMAO at the fucking UFC S MIDDLEWEIGHT division right now.
Wow- this is what it's come to- a blown up welter (but talented) vs possibly a still unknown to wear belt.
This shit is crazy.

......and Gegard is in Bellator.
Luke and Chris together seemed to get clobbered at some point and moving up.
Rockhold can't defend himself standing.
It's only a matter of time before father time and stamina send Yoel down a freefall. Jacare lost a ton of size and hair but still has power and he's pushing 40.

Fucking wow.
Gegard should get over this injury (I hear not to severe) win his last 3 on BMMA contract and let UFC come beg and give him the cabbage he deserved in 1st place.

Kelvin vs Israel for the UFC middleweight title ? Are you fucking kidding me. Thats right there with Bisping vs 72 year old Henderson (I still don't know how that circus came to be).

This interim shit make no sense, anyway they can do everything they want but romero will not magically disappear, that's it.

They should strip whitaker and have them fight for the real belt.

How tf does Israel deserve a title shot? lol. Jacare Gastelum rematch if anything. Whitaker deserves to keep the belt. No more dumb ass interim titles

Just give the belt to Yoel,

Anyone that jacked should be champ.

Damn some of y"all have no love for The Grim Reaper or what! His recovery time, as per doctors, is stated to be 6 weeks! Let's wait a bit before taking about stripping and interim! This is a guy who accepted to fight an overweight Romero with no belt on the line! Dana knows he's a reliable Grinder who won't fuck up like my boy Jones. Dana will give him plenty of time before doing anything!

If Whitaker is out for multiple months it makes sense. It really should be the winner of Costa/Romero against Gastelum but that fight isn't until the end of April. Gastelum and Israel are both healthy and ready to go. Should the word come down that Bobby K has a lengthy recovery ahead I think that fight is announced.

Scrap the belt for now. MW tourney. Kelvin vs Israel, Costa vs. Yoel(which is happening.) Winners fight for the belt. Whittaker can get the first crack at the winner of the tourney, or if he can come back sooner he gets a contender fight.
I had thought about a MW Grand Prix in the event that Henderson beat Bisping and followed thru with retirement. Since GSP is the real MW champion and vacated they should do a MW Grand Prix. Have a Grand Prix belt and the winner can fight Bobby for the UFC title after. Gives Bobby time to recover.

The UFC MW ranking have these guys in the top 8
1 Yoel Romero
2 Luke Rockhold
3 Jacare Souza
4 Kelvin Gastelum
5 Chris Weidman
6 Israel Adesanya
7 Paulo Costa
8 Derek Brunson
Bracket matchups
Yoel Luke
v. v.
Costa Chris

Israel Kelvin
v. v.
Jacare Brunson
We get the Chris vs Luke rematch that never happened. Israel gets a real test, Kelvin gets a winnable match up but a real test in the 2nd round vs Chris or Luke. Yoel gets to test Costa and if he misses weight throw in an alternate.

Alternates chosen from Hall, Cannonier, Tavares, Theodoreau, Branch and Carlos Junior. Book 2 alternate fights. One for the first round and one for the 2nd.

Last edited:
Have a Grand Prix belt and the winner can fight Bobby for the UFC title after. Gives Bobby time to recover.

The UFC MW ranking have these guys in the top 8
1 Yoel Romero
2 Luke Rockhold
3 Jacare Souza
4 Kelvin Gastelum
5 Chris Weidman
6 Israel Adesanya
7 Paulo Costa
8 Derek Brunson

Round 1 winners: Yoel, Costa, Jacare & Weidman
Round 2 winners: Yoel, Costa
Round 3 winners: us

It's a shame since Jacare, Romero, and Costa are all better than both. And not to mention Weidman submitted Kelvin and would dominate Izzy

Too bad Dana would never do this

Back