Adding Another Dimension to Free Online Instruction

KBEvolve

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to share a idea with you. Tell me if you see the potential.

There's a saying that two minds are better than one. What if you focus countless minds on specific situations though? What would come of that? What would be possible? At its core, that's all this idea is about. I believe that the internet and Youtube allows us to create that brainstorming environment with a focus on technical instruction.

Here's a quick example that I did as a test case.

In this case, I saw a technique taught for public consumption. I also saw vulnerabilities in the technique that weren't highlighted. That's common because it's hard to account for every possibility. Even if you could, it would seriously test the attention spans of your audience.

What I did was give that extra perspective by showing the other side of the coin. In the end, both videos give a more complete picture of what's possible in that specific situation. But it doesn't have to stop with just two. Nor does it have to be just counters. It could also be progressions.

For example, what if someone came along and showed a technique that was possible in the transition after one of the counters I showed? Then it kept building and building and building. It's possible that it could start to resemble a chess game, but it would be in a format that other people can easily learn from.

Can you see the potential yet?

If not, you can find the original post I wrote about this idea, and see if that helps. Also there are some more details on the half guard counters I showed, if you're interested.

I came up with an idea similar to this with a friend in which there would be an open source website that would offer people allowed to create a map of positions, transitions, submissions, sweeps, escapes, etc. with user uploaded videos explaining each, and the users would up/down vote submissions based on their effectiveness. You could even have celebrity submissions in which top instructors/competitors could upload videos or responses to other videos that are popular.

I came up with an idea similar to this with a friend in which there would be an open source website that would offer people allowed to create a map of positions, transitions, submissions, sweeps, escapes, etc. with user uploaded videos explaining each, and the users would up/down vote submissions based on their effectiveness. You could even have celebrity submissions in which top instructors/competitors could upload videos or responses to other videos that are popular.
What held you back from implementing it in some form?

I like it! I think it's definitely helpful to see things from the perspective of both players.

i hope you're actually working on that. if you aren't, let me know, so i'll do it myself.

Back