ADCC 2015 preview: -77kg (Part 4)

mattandbenny

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Part 1, 99+kg: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f12/adcc-2015-preview-99kg-3054069/
Part 2, -99kg: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f12/adcc-2015-preview-99kg-part-2-a-3054537//
Part 3, -88kg: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f12/adcc-2015-preview-88kg-part-3-a-3055261/

-----------------------

-77kg

ADCC_2015_77kg.jpg

(click this link to see full size: http://s21.postimg.org/rm7h9gy9j/ADCC_2015_77kg.jpg)

Lucas Lepri (Brazil)
Age: 29 Record at Black Belt: 59-18 (30 Sub) Record in 14/15: 21-2 (11 Sub)
Achievements: 2x World Champion (), 3x No-Gi World Champion, 4x Pan American Champion (2015)
ADCC History: Quarter Finals (2013)
Key wins: AJ Agazarm, JT Torres, Paulo Miyao, Otavio Sousa, Leandro Lo, Augusto Mendes

Garry Tonon (USA)
Age: 23 Record at Black Belt: 61-22 (30 Sub) Record in 14/15: 5-1 (5 Sub)
Achievements: 1x World Champion Brown Belt (2014), 1x Pan American Champion Brown Belt (2014)
Key wins: Eddie Cummings

Otavio Sousa (Brazil)
Age: 28 Record at Black Belt: 50-20 (25 Sub) Record in 14/15: 21-9 (9 Sub)
Achievements: 2x World Champion (2013, 2012), 1x Pan American Champion (2010)
ADCC History: 2nd (2013)
Key wins: AJ Agazarm, Alexander Trans, Claudio Calasans, Davi Ramos, Lucas Leite, Gianni Grippo

Dillon Danis (USA)
Age: 22 Record at Black Belt: 2-0 (2 Sub) Record in 14/15: 2-0 (2 Sub)
Achievements: 1x World Champion (2014), 1x No-Gi World Champion Brown Belt (2014), 1x Pan American Champion Brown Belt (2014)
ADCC History: Debut
Key wins: N/A

Gilbert Burns (Brazil)
Age: 29 Record at Black Belt: 28-8 (7 Sub) Record in 14/15: 6-4 (3 Sub)
Achievements: 1x World Champion (2011), 2x No-Gi World Champion (2013, 2010)
Key wins: AJ Agazarm, Gianni Grippo, Leandro Lo, Kron Gracie, JT Torres, Lucas Lepri, Caio Terra, Celso Vinicius

AJ Agazarm (USA)
Age: 28 Record at Black Belt: 67-27-1 (25 Sub) Record in 14/15: 37-18-1 (15 Sub)
Achievements: 1x No-Gi World Champion (2014), 1x Pan American No-Gi Champion (2013)
Key wins: Gabriel Rollo

Davi Ramos (Brazil)
Age: 28 Record at Black Belt: 15-11 (11 Sub) Record in 14/15: 9-0 (5 Sub)
Achievements: N/A
Key wins: Joao Assis, Jeff Monson

Gabriel Rollo (Brazil)
Age: 28 Record at Black Belt: 24-11 (9 Sub) Record in 14/15: 20-6 (9 Sub)
Achievements: N/A
Key wins: Davi Ramos

The Rest: Enrico Cocco (USA), Ben Henderson (USA), Vagner Rocha (Brazil), Mateusz Gamrot (Poland), Milton Vieira (Brazil), Lachlan Giles (Australia), Abdulkadirov Magomed (Russia), Young-am Noh (South Korea)

On paper, Lucas Lepri has the best resume of the bunch this year with 2 World Championships and 3 No-Gi World Championships under his belt. A 9-year black belt, he holds wins over some of the top competitors in the world such as Leandro Lo & Paulo Miyao. In 2013 he had a disappointing tournament when he lost to JT Torres in the quarter finals, but this year he will be one of the favourites to win the crown. He is the form competitor on thisweight class, with wins in 19 of his last 20 grappling fights which includes wins over JT Torres, AJ Agazarm, Paulo Miyao, Gabriel Rollo & Otavio Sousa.

Another Quarter Finalist from 2013 looking to do better is American Garry Tonon. In 2013 the then-21 year old was dealt a tough draw and knocked out by eventual winner Kron Gracie. Now 23 and with much more experience under his belt, he has a much better chance of going far in the bracket. He has had a good year and a few months ago won the Eddie Bravo Invitational. He is also a veteral of 2 fights for Metamoris, where he has won both fights by submission.

Otavio Sousa finished runner-up in the 2013 ADCC

Ben Henderson looked great at the last ADCC, winning one of the best matches of the tournament against Leo Nogueira (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5kO1e-sMfQ), then he was winning against Otavio Sousa before getting sub'd late. This is a tough bracket, but I consider him a dark horse to medal for sure.

Yea probably should of done a paragraph about him, but just thought there's 7 or 8 better pure BJJ guys out there. Unless he gets an unlucky draw he should make the quarters.

I'm surprised to see you have Danis in the final. I think Tonon is a much more likely finalist, as is Souza. This is the most stacked division IMO, whoever comes out on top will have to have a massive performance.

Yeah this division is brutal. Tbh any one of the Top 10 has enough ability that I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the final ... well I guess maybe I'd be surprised by Bendo, but he could do it.

this division is ridiculous.

I hope tonon wins this time, but the division is just ridiculous, lucas lepri I see him much more as a gi guy, not so much as no gi specialliast. I think gary's wrestling this time with some more experience under his belt will make him a strong favorite.

Dillon I see him as just too fresh to get to the final, depends on the draw. Davi ramos is very underated too. his leg lock game is top notch.

I like that you have Danis in the finals. I can easily see it happening. It may seem bold but I like the call.

I think Tonon has to be the favorite, too, but I really want to see him and Danis. Danis' teammate Munch gave Tonon a hell of a time a few months at a superfight with ADCC rules, and I don't think Tonon and Danis like each other much. A previous poster made a good point about Tonon's wrestling, which may be the difference.

Nice work on these previews, TS. I've enjoyed reading them.

Team Dillon can't wait to see the brackets. I think ADCC will give us Dillon vs Gary early too.

lucas lepri I see him much more as a gi guy, not so much as no gi specialliast. I think gary's wrestling this time with some more experience under his belt will make him a strong favorite.

Dillon I see him as just too fresh to get to the final, depends on the draw. Davi ramos is very underated too. his leg lock game is top notch.

I think Lepri is underrated nogi man. He's won the nogi worlds several times I think, and he reminds me a lot of Cobrinha with how he moves on top. He had a tough match with JT last ADCC early in the brackets, but I think he's as solid a bet to win as anyone else in there.

BTW there's a video of Davi Ramos and Palhares training for this event. I wonder what it's like to see those 2 go at it full bore.

Yeah this division is brutal. Tbh any one of the Top 10 has enough ability that I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the final ... well I guess maybe I'd be surprised by Bendo, but he could do it.

I agree and I think it's the deepest division this weekend, even with JT Torres injured last minute and Kron not returning. Fuck..can you imagine if you took the current bracket and had JT, Kron, and Marcelo Garcia in there? So many names I'm surprised got left out too. Murilo, Victor, Lo, Mafra, Clark, Cooper, Leo, DJ, Edwin...might be the deepest weight class out there.

Last edited:
Don't they match team mates early? Danis and Lepri will probably go 1st or 2nd round right? They're almost definitely not going to be on opposite sides of the bracket.

^ Let's be real, it's ADCC - every division is stacked. That's why it's the most prestigious grappling tournament in the world.

Check this guy in 77kg,Abdulkadirov Magomed, he can surprise many

Check this guy in 77kg,Abdulkadirov Magomed, he can surprise many

Let me guess, another crazy tough Russian? Is he Avar Dagestani like Khabib? What is it about that part of the world that creates these guys

Let me guess, another crazy tough Russian? Is he Avar Dagestani like Khabib? What is it about that part of the world that creates these guys

Magomed (77kg guy) was 2nd place at World Combat Games in Grappling in 2013 and 2014 World Grappling Champion (under FILA/UWW)

One of best grappler out of Daghestan at the moment

Back