• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Crime (Accident or Manslaughter Poll) - Hockey Player Adam Johnson dies after neck slashed by Defender

Is It Manslaughter?

• Accidental but not manslaughter.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • Manslaughter.

Votes: 165 85.1%

• Total voters
but don't players try and hurt each other all the time in hockey?

It's not the prmary objective like it is in other sports......MMA for instance.

He doesn't have to want to kill him for it to be intentional

But there does have to be intent or at least negligence/recklessness for there to be a crime. I'm not really seeing anyone play the negligence angle too hard though. I think most see it as an accident, or as an intentional action. Criminal intent is far easier to prove if there is a viable motive though. I haven't seen anyone actually suggest a motive, no one has even tried that I've seen.

Nah, if it was clear cut intentional, nobody would be supporting him.

There's some players out of the NHL that are definitely saying it's not accidental...

IE - The kicking action wasn't accidental and extremely reckless, but killing (or even injuring) him was accidental. Otherwise, manslaughter (or the UK equivalent)

But its definitely prudent for anyone in the league or in the media to refer to it as an accident.

No need to pre-emptly convict someone in the media before there's even charges or whatever.

However you feel about Matt Petgrave's actions, he's absolutely due his time in the legal system.

But there does have to be intent or at least negligence/recklessness for there to be a crime. I'm not really seeing anyone play the negligence angle too hard though. I think most see it as an accident, or as an intentional action. Criminal intent is far easier to prove if there is a viable motive though. I haven't seen anyone actually suggest a motive, no one has even tried that I've seen.

??? Motive

Reckless Drivers who kill someone don't need a motive for vehicular manslaughter

You literally have people live saying it was accidental. The guy had his skates clipped on the way through.
No ice hockey player thinks they would get away with kicking someone in the face with their skates.

It's just one of those crazy things in sports.

It looked to me that he attempted something like a leg whip. Obviously no intent to kill the guy, probably didn't want to injured him either, but he was negligent in trying to use his leg to interfere with the guy after he shot in too steeply to get a good tackle.

They aren’t exactly the same but a lot of the time when someone falls or trips on the ice their skates end up going into the air higher than the rest of their body.

Can you provide me with any other footage of somebody with malicious intent throwing a roundhouse kick at someone during a hockey game?

Exactly

I'm not an arbiter of truth. I can see the video and state what it looks like to me with the caveat that the video is poor quality.
If something is poor quality ,indefinite, and shitty at a low frame rate, sure you can have opinion on it. Why those less than definitive circumstances would lead to accusing somebody of murder is kind of unfair. Especially when even the victims teammates and family confirm this.

Or just the lack of acknowledging the everyday possibility of people falling on ice with their arms & or legs flailing in the air as they involuntary attempt not to break their neck. Especially if traveling at a high rate of speed. Seems weird to leave that fact out of any opinion.

But that's just me.

No one brought it up except you shitheads. I don't give a shit. Fucking race baiters are the worst.

lol... Why is it "Obviously" a freak accident? There's zero reason to have your leg that high up and then extend it at someone?
I posted a video in this thread one page back that shows multiple instances of this shit happening.

Edit: You also took the bait. Like a dummy.

Dirtiest player? Dude had 129 minutes in 54 games. That’s one 2 minute minor a game. Serious goon eh?
These people have no idea what they’re talking about or looking at lol

I posted a video in this thread one page back that shows multiple instances of this shit happening.

Edit: You also took the bait. Like a dummy.

These people have no idea what they’re talking about or looking at lol

The fuck you talking about dipshit. I didn't bring anything up.

And you're the fucking waterhead claiming to know intentions.

There's some players out of the NHL that are definitely saying it's not accidental...

IE - The kicking action wasn't accidental and extremely reckless, but killing (or even injuring) him was accidental. Otherwise, manslaughter (or the UK equivalent)

But its definitely prudent for anyone in the league or in the media to refer to it as an accident.

No need to pre-emptly convict someone in the media before there's even charges or whatever.

However you feel about Matt Petgrave's actions, he's absolutely due his time in the legal system.

Christopher Bowie Therien (born December 14, 1971) is a Canadian former professional ice hockey defenceman. He played 12 seasons in the National Hockey League (NHL) with the Philadelphia Flyers and Dallas Stars between 1995 and 2006. He was the lead analyst for Flyers Pregame Live and Flyers Postgame Live on NBC Sports Philadelphia.[1] Prior to the 2018-19 NHL season he was a color commentator inside the glass for the Flyers on NBC Sports Philadelphia. He was also previously the Flyers' radio color commentator on 97.5 The Fanatic.

Guarentee this guy has infinitely more insight into this than your dumbass. You've been talking out of your ass this whole thread like a fucking moron.

The fuck you talking about dipshit. I didn't bring anything up.

And you're the fucking waterhead claiming to know intentions.

Christopher Bowie Therien (born December 14, 1971) is a Canadian former professional ice hockey defenceman. He played 12 seasons in the National Hockey League (NHL) with the Philadelphia Flyers and Dallas Stars between 1995 and 2006. He was the lead analyst for Flyers Pregame Live and Flyers Postgame Live on NBC Sports Philadelphia.[1] Prior to the 2018-19 NHL season he was a color commentator inside the glass for the Flyers on NBC Sports Philadelphia. He was also previously the Flyers' radio color commentator on 97.5 The Fanatic.

Guarentee this guy has infinitely more insight into this than your dumbass. You've been talking out of your ass this whole thread like a fucking moron.

Guarantee you the guys on the ice have more insight into this incident than both of them.

You’re also claiming to know his intentions, dipshit.

You also confused the hell out of me. What are you talking about I didn’t say you brought anything up? I said you took the bait. Meaning, he did race bait you and then you ate it up. Can you read?

Exactly

If something is poor quality ,indefinite, and shitty at a low frame rate, sure you can have opinion on it. Why those less than definitive circumstances would lead to accusing somebody of murder is kind of unfair. Especially when even the victims teammates and family confirm this.

Or just the lack of acknowledging the everyday possibility of people falling on ice with their arms & or legs flailing in the air as they involuntary attempt not to break their neck. Especially if traveling at a high rate of speed. Seems weird to leave that fact out of any opinion.

But that's just me.
Anything is possible but even shitty instant replay can be better than an eyewitness' instantaneous perception. At least speaking for myself I don't think the guy is a murderer because he'd have to be a psycho to purposely kick him in the neck. I've seen people horribly assaulted in hockey though to find it unimaginable that a player would use his his foot to push a guy off the puck.

I don't know what to call that.

I know if I was on a jury I would not be comfortable with sending this dude to prison.

Chris Nilan interviews Clint Malarchuk. They discuss this incident and he also talks about his near-death experience when his throat was slashed by a skate, and all the problems it lead to with him.

When I heard this had happened I thought the player that died had been in a pile up on ice, accidentally cut by skate. You’re telling me they were both standing and the other guy kicked him in the throat?

It's super obvious that this was intentional. Use your eyes people, the dude just lifted up his foot and kicked him. How can your eyes see the footage and you still deny what happened?

Back