Acai

djmarkiss

Green Belt
Reaction score
I finally ordered some from Sambazon. I usually get my smoothie from Juice It Up. When I made the smoothie I put in 1 pack of Acai, 1 banana, 8oz strawberries, 8oz apple juice. But it wasn't as thick as when I got it from Juice It Up. Should I add another Acai pack? I know some people use 2 packs but is that what makes it thicker?

Thanks

Why do you mix all that other crap in and make it some kind of Jamba Juice mutant potion? I just got done eating some: 2 packs of Acai, slightly thawed, and a 1/4 cup of apple juice. Blend until smooth, top with granola, sliced banana and eat with a spoon. Thats the only way to go.

GJJNY said:
Why do you mix all that other crap in and make it some kind of Jamba Juice mutant potion? I just got done eating some: 2 packs of Acai, slightly thawed, and a 1/4 cup of apple juice. Blend until smooth, top with granola, sliced banana and eat with a spoon. Thats the only way to go.

Now that sounds good!

Wolverine
///

djmarkiss said:
I finally ordered some from Sambazon. I usually get my smoothie from Juice It Up. When I made the smoothie I put in 1 pack of Acai, 1 banana, 8oz strawberries, 8oz apple juice. But it wasn't as thick as when I got it from Juice It Up. Should I add another Acai pack? I know some people use 2 packs but is that what makes it thicker?

Thanks
First off, I fucking hate you for living close to a Juice It Up. That shit PWNS Jamba Juice and every other juice shop I've ever been to.

Second, what is this Acai? Is this the secret ingredient at Juice It Up, those bastards? Is it?

I know for a fact they use frozen yogurt blocks at the Juice It Up. You see them put that stuff in (most shakes). That would definitely add thickness.

I add yogurt to my acai bowls as well, so I'll attest to the thickening as well... I use low fat/carb control vanilla, so there isn't much taste alteration overall, but it gets a little protein in there. I also add a scoop of natural peanut butter, which you can taste a little, but not overwhelmingly.

I don't use bananas as much anymore, as it seemed to overwhelm the taste of it. But I use a pile of mango.

2 packs of acai will also make it thicker, but dang man. The stuff isn't cheap!

and now I'm hungry.

Are you guys gonna make me google this?

sorry, Mick :/

acai is a berry harvested in the Brazil around the Amazon. It's crazy high in anti-oxidants, moreso than most other foods, including other dark berries. Its taste is described as being a chocolately berry thing. Having no juice bars around, I am forced to order mine from Sambazon and mix up my own bowls/smoothies. I ordered the pure acai, but Sambazon also makes a mix of it that contains guarana, which is a wonderful replacement for caffeine in that the "buzz" is more of an even, longer-lasting thing than caffeine, while being a little less offensive to the system.

Is it magic? I dunno, but I certainly felt energized after I ate a bowl this morning.

I'm freestyling here, but there's a quick generic answer. Check out www.sambazon.com for way more details than you'd ever need in the final round of Jeopardy.

It's the best tasting drink I've ever had. Thanks for the advice people!

djmarkiss said:
It's the best tasting drink I've ever had. Thanks for the advice people!
Wait, which one, exactly? You didn't refer to a specific poster. What recipe did you settle on?

Also, thanks for the heads up on Acai. Now that you mention it, I think I might have seen it up high on an ORAC list (for antioxidative power). If not, who cares, it's a berry, I like berries.

I usually make the smoothie, but I made the Acai bowl today tasted so good.

When would you guys eat these? After a workout? As a meal replacement? Before bed? Is it all just a bunch of berries (so all natrual stuff?)?

Tastes like fruit I guess you could say. I made a bowl today and I didn't have any granola so I topped it with some Grapenuts cereal tasted good that way too along with some sliced bananas.

Tastes like chocolate covered fruit and sweet sex. I used to drink 3 a day... then I gained 20 lbs.

Yeh that's why I don't drink it all the time, that stuff will put on pounds if you drink or eat it everyday.

Back