Academy no gi rashguard requirement

Your Noodly Master

Selfish and shitty attitude
@Orange
Reaction score
I've heard some places, such as Gracie Barra, only allow their gi to be worn. Many places require just the academy patch.

Have you ever seen an "academy rashguard only" policy?

Good idea? Money grab? Unnecessary?

Good idea if your an instructor who needs money and the market is big enough you wont turn too many people away. Completely unnecessary for any other reason.

Gracie barra also requires you to wear their GB rash guards and shorts. Both of which suck and overpriced and frankly the $15 plain black rash guard I bought from target fits way better. The new GB rash guards have bizarre sizing too: I'm 5'8" around 170 and the medium feels likes an extra small compared to the old rash guard I have.

There's a caveat when it comes to GB though: it's all up to the instructor. I think GB gis are a MUST but I've been to GB HQ and seen YouTube videos where not everyone has GB nogi gear

There's a place in my town that switched to this policy lately. Sucks for everyone who had to replace all of their training gear.

I've heard some places, such as Gracie Barra, only allow their gi to be worn. Many places require just the academy patch.

yes mendes bros have this i think? iv seen other gyms tbh i feel that it could be good bjj is losing structure i feel why would you not wana rep your school?

Nah never seen that...

I think it is a money grab. It isn't about representing anything if you are just training. I understand wanting for your students to have school/team gear in a competition. However, if I am at your gym and am a student I should be able to wear whatever I want. I know people that have to wear team gear all the time and they complain about it when they train at my school.

Yes.
For just one example : private karate club.
Requirement in fact in this club means:
to pay additionally club member registration fee and yearly fee for membership ( that isn't mandatory in contract about lessons ) + to by only from him a Gi.
-
Regards about possible Mc Dojo : no it isn't this case, he doesn't have any 15 years old black belt and average time till shodan in his dojo is approx 6, 5 years.
Milked money he uses for athletes tutelage : he does have additional training for free for these that are competitive athletes. Yes, for this he doesn't charge.

The only reason for that seems
Like money grab

Although I will say we’ve all rolled with the fat guy who’s wearing some old wet cotton shirt that just attaches to your face

yes mendes bros have this i think? iv seen other gyms tbh i feel that it could be good bjj is losing structure i feel why would you not wana rep your school?

Because I am the paying customer not a billboard. I also don't exercise at a gym where I can only wear their stuff. I have no problems with owners running their business how they want but I would not participate.

The only reason for that seems
Like money grab

Although I will say we’ve all rolled with the fat guy who’s wearing some old wet cotton shirt that just attaches to your face

My gym requires white gis, any brand. We also require everybody where a shirt under their gi. The sweaty t-shirt or bad hygeine problem fixes itself because they dont get any rolls.

Last edited:
Because I am the paying customer not a billboard. I also don't exercise at a gym where I can only wear their stuff. I have no problems with owners running their business how they want but I would not participate.
well then leave

well then leave

I would. That is exactly my point. Every business owner can run it as they like and I can leave if I don’t like how they do things. It’s totally cool. No harm, no foul. I don’t like to wear advertising for other people for free and I don’t expect others to advertise my business for free. Similarly, I remove the license plate “surround” with the name of the car dealer where I bought my car and I don’t let the gym where I work out dictate what clothes I wear. Imagine a bar requiring you to where only t-shirts that they sell there. I think it would be just as absurd as the gi thing but good for them if they can get away with it.

I would. That is exactly my point. Every business owner can run it as they like and I can leave if I don’t like how they do things. It’s totally cool. No harm, no foul. I don’t like to wear advertising for other people for free and I don’t expect others to advertise my business for free. Similarly, I remove the license plate “surround” with the name of the car dealer where I bought my car and I don’t let the gym where I work out dictate what clothes I wear. Imagine a bar requiring you to where only t-shirts that they sell there. I think it would be just as absurd as the gi thing but good for them if they can get away with it.
it isnt just wearing someones business..t hats your coach the man who is teaching you this art lol and u dont wana honor your team? pretty sad tbh

that people have 0 loyalty today to someone who taught them everything

it isnt just wearing someones business..t hats your coach the man who is teaching you this art lol and u dont wana honor your team? pretty sad tbh

It's not a lack of honoring the team or supporting the academy. It is being forced to purchase only the product that the academy sells. A gi for $150, rashguard for $40, shorts for $40. It's adds up and is a money grab for the academy. The "just leave" argument doesn't work if it's the only place around to train. In an area with options, I definitely wouldn't choose a Gracie Barra.

When I travel and I look for a place to train I never pick a place that only allows a white gi. It's like the school uniform policy. Do we value individualism or do we value convenience?

AOJ has this. You have to wear their no-gi uniform.

That's the only place I know of. Maybe Atos too but I'm not positive.

Sorry, when you are charging market prices for your teaching (which is a commodity now too), you can't expect payback.

We have to wear the academy’s shirt/rash guard at our school. One of the reasons is because our instructor is big on regimen and structure, but it’s also a cash grab.

Most large Aussie BJJ franchises I know of (Roots, Gracie Humaita, Gracie Barra, MyBJJ) make you buy their rashie. It is something I find incredibly annoying. I don't mind wearing patches or something with the school name on it but I hate paying double the price for half the quality of a fuji/tatami rash guard.

My instructor mentioned mandatory gis 2 years ago (he has since abandoned the idea). First thing I did was look for a new BJJ gym. I'm not paying 100+$ a month to be in some kind of cult with mandatory uniforms.

Back