Absolute beginners guide to BJJ DVD?

alphamale

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a dvd that is specifically aimed at total noobs, that takes them step by step through the names of the basic positions, general rules of thumb and basics in those positions and some drills for beginners?
Basically all the stuff you should learn in your first few weeks?

If not i think it would sell really well, i might even make one myself (as in i'd produce it, i'd get teh blackbelts to demonstrate).

thoughts?

Roy Harris 101 and 201 is best ever for this stuf. Search also for Roy harris seminars. He first explain everything in theory and then put all those stuff in practice.
Very good also for experienced guys who want to re-evalute their knowledge of basic tech because he explains everything in smallest details.

i heard cesar gracie has some of the best material on the absolute basics out.

never seen the roy harris stuff but cesars tapes are always awesome.

have to check out roys and see how similar they are to what i had in mind.

Matt Serra's is a basic instructional that I've seen recently. 8/10

this thread is a bit old but I thought I'd chime in for anyone searching in the future. Go with the Serra stuff. I've seen a lot of instructional tapes and I think that this is the best set for a beginner. Very comprehensive and well thought out. I recommend that you, this dvd set and a motivated buddy go at it for in the basement drilling the techniques on the videos either as a supplement to the class you're in now or a quality precursor to the class you will be joining soon.

sorry for the confusion, i dont want a dvd like this for myself (im a blue) i was just wondering what sets were out there and if there was a market for another.

Has anyone seen a dvd that is specifically aimed at total noobs, that takes them step by step through the names of the basic positions, general rules of thumb and basics in those positions and some drills for beginners?
Basically all the stuff you should learn in your first few weeks?

I'd recommend Roy Dean's Blue Belt Requirements 2 DVD set, which does a great job of covering off the basics, including really basic things like breakfalling, along with fundamental sweeps, escapes etc.

I put up a long review on exactly what Dean covers here.

Saulo's BJJ Revolution Vol. 1 goes over most of the basics.

Starightblast Gym's Bob Bass and Rick Williams BJJ set #1 is very good and comprehensive, covering every major position. It calls itself "Advanced BJJ," but it's really pretty elementary.

Back